Dark Souls 3

Associate
thinking of picking these up after I done with the witcher does the first game still hold up and play well or should I just start with the second one

Soldato
This DLC is steller , miles better than the first and up there with the DS2 dlc. Got to the first boss, and my god that moment when you think all is well only to be wtfing for next 5 minutes . haha great times.

Associate
thinking of picking these up after I done with the witcher does the first game still hold up and play well or should I just start with the second one

The first is my favorite but it is a little bit dated and can feel a bit awkward with the controls until you get used to it. It has the best world out of the three though which is hugely important imo. If you do get it you will need to download DSfix as the game is locked to 720p 30fps without it which is just horrible. There's also some high res texture mods you can try too.

Edit: Another note, i'd also consider a controller manditory for any dark souls game. Keyboard and mouse does work but its jankey as hell. A 360 or xbox one contoller will work fine, PS4 should work too i think.

Associate
thanks for that if I find it cheap enough I will give the first a try I should think at 720p it does look quite bad also I'm a terrible sinner I don't really use mouse & keyboard anyway

Associate
Just a heads up if anybody after buying Dark Souls 3 or DLC, Gamersgate have an upto 55% off sale on the current game. I got DS3 base game for £18 and it does indeed work with a PS4 pad using DS4Windows either BT or wired.

Soldato
I played the game at release. Definitely a Souls veteran. Thought I would go through the dlc now as I have the season pass. Got through to undead settlement and felt I was getting back in to it. I haven't played a souls game since DS 3 release so I needed to ease myself back in. I'm at the Curse-rotted Greatwood now.... I CAN NOT BEAT IT!

Did it first time when I played at release. Always considered it a fairly easy boss. Tried it about ten times so far and can't kill the ****er.

I've always said you need to be in the right mood for Souls, and I think I'm just not in the right mood.

Caporegime
Does this game block the game bar that is now in Win 10?

I know it's not very useful, but i can't really change the settings and neither the windows key, custom key or xbox guide button work, it just changes the brightness on my screen a couple times :|.

Associate
Does this game block the game bar that is now in Win 10?

I know it's not very useful, but i can't really change the settings and neither the windows key, custom key or xbox guide button work, it just changes the brightness on my screen a couple times :|.

No idea as I've never used the game bar, dark souls 3 does give me problems in windows 10 though. If i quit the game i will just get a black screen and be unable to do anything but reset my PC. The only work around i've found is to tab out of the game and back in before i quit which seems to fix the issue. Its weird because the first time i tab out, it just goes to a black screen but then tabbing back in brings the game back up. After that i can tab in and out as i please and quit the game without problems. Try tabbing in and out and see if it fixes the game bar?

Soldato
Could someone give me some pointers please. I've just picked this up, and don't really understand the play mechanics. In a nut shell I seem to suck at this :( Normally I play fps games on hard, but this is my first hack n slash, and I've got to the first large 'boss' in an arena, and he just slaughters me. My defence/shield is inadequate, and I cannot seem to roll out of the way of his big sword. Any time I use a potion to boost my health, my character slows to a walk, and the boss flattens me! I'm doing my best not to get frustrated with it, and I'm not the sort of person to Google (cheat) for a video, but I'd like to enjoy this, as the reviews shout a good game.
Help.

Associate
Could someone give me some pointers please. I've just picked this up, and don't really understand the play mechanics. In a nut shell I seem to suck at this :( Normally I play fps games on hard, but this is my first hack n slash, and I've got to the first large 'boss' in an arena, and he just slaughters me. My defence/shield is inadequate, and I cannot seem to roll out of the way of his big sword. Any time I use a potion to boost my health, my character slows to a walk, and the boss flattens me! I'm doing my best not to get frustrated with it, and I'm not the sort of person to Google (cheat) for a video, but I'd like to enjoy this, as the reviews shout a good game.
Help.

DS 3 was my first game in this series.

First thing I learnt was dying a lot is common so get used to it. As for the bosses you have to learn their attack patterns and perfect your rolling to dodge the attacks. The first boss took me about an hour to beat.

Associate
Help.

I think you should maybe watch a guide on how to play souls games as they are pretty damn hard. Just things like keeping your weight down under 70% as you can roll quicker is a very good tip.
I did watch some 'walkthrough' videos for certain points in Dark Souls 3 as i just could not figure out how to get to a certain place or kill a certain boss. I am currently stuck on The Nameless King boss but i will beat it at some point in my lifetime!

Soldato
Help.
I would say you just have to learn the mechanics really. You could try youtubing a video to help you with combat tips and understanding iframes parrying etc. Parrying the first boss is probably the easiest way to beat him and he is good parry practice.

Soldato
Help.

Stick with it and practice. Defeating bosses in this game is unlike virtually every other game, and in a good way. Try and time your rolls, learn that rolling in different directions can drastically change things and don't be overly aggressive with attacking.

Help.

As someone said above, watch some guides, it may spoil the game a little but the main thing is you'll start to enjoy the game, and when you enjoy Souls games you REALLY enjoy them as you start to get a sense of how enemies move and attack and defeating each one, even low level ones makes you feel great.

Failing that just hug enemies and keep circling to their left :D ;) :p

Soldato
I'm fully back in to it now. Took me ages to get used to it again!

I did accidently start the first dlc, which I find annoying tbh... Apparently you should be a high level before starting, but pretty much everyone will start it when they reach a certain point and will be nowhere near the level required.

My first playthrough of the game was shieldless, using the dancers swords iirc. This time I'm going for strength with a two hander and I'm even going to use a shield this time... Though tbh 90% of the time I roll anyway just before they hit me, even when I am holding a shield!

Soldato
Was there always a dark wraith in Farron swamp?.... Wasn't expecting it and it destroyed me!

I am enjoying this playthrough greatly, especially as I haven't played as greatsword build before. Hollowslayer greatsword is awesome. Even a bit OP possibly?

Associate
Was there always a dark wraith in Farron swamp?.... Wasn't expecting it and it destroyed me!

I am enjoying this playthrough greatly, especially as I haven't played as greatsword build before. Hollowslayer greatsword is awesome. Even a bit OP possibly?

I don't think I've ever done a playthrough with heavy weapons. I think i tried it in dark souls 2 and found it much harder then dex weapons. Spacing and timing seemed much more important. I've just leveled a pyromancer in DS3 and i have to say running through the game with a raw falchion and fireballs is easy mode. I did the whole play through embered as i died so few times. Still have 40+ embers and i haven't purchased any from merchants.

I think its high time i did a full strength build tbh.

Caporegime
I hate the Dancer, but after a few dozen tries I finally found a good rhythm for her... basically just a raw broadsword +2 and 1000 hp, could probably do it at SL1 though.

Back
Top Bottom