Dashcams!

Associate
I've been using Blackvue for the last seven or so years without any major issues. Don't have experience of any other brand I'm afraid. I did have a poor experience with one of the ebay refurbished ones though, poor quality on both front and rear cameras. Sent it straight back and I wouldn't chance a refurbished one again after that.

Soldato
Whichever one you get, get front and rear cameras. If you are going to do Uber or minicabbing, get one which records the inside of the car with an infrared camera - this is to protect you.

Associate
Got a 412GW for Christmas and hardwired it yesterday to the accessories fuse in the cabin, so it turns on and off with the ignition key. Only did a quick test drive but it seems to work well. I think the motion sensor needs putting on a lower sensitivity because it was locking files on bumps in the road.

I have the same one, wired up the same way. It's great quality but the motion sensor is far too sensitive. Mines on the lowest setting and I wipe it every month.

Soldato
I have the same one, wired up the same way. It's great quality but the motion sensor is far too sensitive. Mines on the lowest setting and I wipe it every month.

I've had it fitted for over a month now, overall happy with the unit but a couple of things that needed ironing out:

• The screen was setting off my car alarm! I think when the screen fires up the alarm perceives the movement on the screen as movement in the car and goes off, but I'm not 100% on this. As a solution I've turned on the screensaver so even when it's recording the screen is off. This seems to have solved the problem.
  • Changing the motion detection sensitivity to the lowest setting no longer sets the unit off on bumps.
  • I left the files as the default 3 minutes but when I took the sd card in the house to review what it captured I notices the video would begin stuttering at about 2:20 and then lock up on each files, which of course would be useless if an incident happened at this time. As a solution I've changed the files to 2 minutes and will see what that does.

Caporegime
the one i linked to is the official company, but id pay a little more if im honest and get a new one

i was lucky to pick up a Thinkware Q800 PRO on ebay, for £150 (front and rear cameras)
Hey mate thanks for your earlier reply, have had a look at thinkware and I’ll probably stretch my budget to the q800 model.
If you would be so kind to let me know your thoughts on the q800?? Also what sort of sd card should I look at getting. Probably looking at 128GB min if anything.

Soldato
looking at dashcams for the buses and taxis,

i have a couple of requirements and cost whilst cheaper the better isnt really a factor

i need something with a decent retention time so something that supports 512gb sd cards or has someform of cloud backup or external backup - i see some of the nextbase stuff syncs with your smart phone that might be an option for us?

1080p minimum and decent night capture

the nextbase 522 seems to be the go to option at the moment but only supports 128gb cards so not sure about the recording time available, it might be a bit lower than we would ideally like

Associate
I have been considering one for a while now, with the amount of miles i do a day and a couple of close calls. Is it worth it, as one of friends said when we discussed it, it can also be used against you.

Back
Top Bottom