Dashcams!

Soldato
The TLDR is they all use the same 2 chip sets and Sony sensors so it doesn’t really matter if you spend $70 or $300, the core function, that is the video quality is basically the same and ranges from ‘bad to slightly less bad’. That’s not to say that some are better than others when it comes to the total package.

Oh and unsurprisingly the Amazon reviews are fake.

Soldato
Ya it was an average/somewhat uninformed video. Build quality, warranty, longevity didn't come into it.

I've had my Thinkware for 6 years over 3 cars and it is still chugging along nicely. I guess the point is that over 6 years the latter model is not THAT much better. It also isn't that cheaper than the dodgy Chinese brand they recommended.

Man of Honour
It is kind of interesting (same SOC/chipset and sensors are also used by generic action cams, etc.) - the trick is to find the sweet spot of implementation and build quality at the cheapest price. The image quality is just about good enough to be acceptable on the better implementations.

I believe most of the common Sony sensors used aren't actually 1728x1296 or 2592x1944 but using higher frame rate ~720p and interpolating to produce the higher res image which then depending on implementation is often software resampled to 1080p, 1440p or 4K - though some dash cams just spit out the 1296p, etc. image. Many implementations if they are just brand customised using the reference software don't do true 60FPS either and are just frame doubled 30FPS.

EDIT: Both the last 2 dash cams I bought have acceptable implementations of the Sony 335 sensor, acceptable build quality and cost me less than £30 - and are fine for anything other than if you want reliable numberplate reading beyond 30 feet or so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ya it was an average/somewhat uninformed video. Build quality, warranty, longevity didn't come into it.
I’m not sure what you expect, the video was focused on video quality which is the cameras core function.

Given it’s an international audience and most of the products are Chinese companies with zero footprint outside the Great Wall, warranty will obviously vary by region and local law.

How could they possibly test reliability in any reasonable time frame in the scope of a review. Run them all for 6 years?

Soldato
videos comment about the newer chipset in duopro v3 seemed most pertinant - potentially newer lower power processor for video encode/processing at a decent bitrate.

Also agree with getting an action camera instead though, a gopro hero action(e:session) cameras have the bare bones and no display - why pay for screen if you have a phone;
now if you had an android HU and can run the software on there , that would be killer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not sure what you expect, the video was focused on video quality which is the cameras core function.

Given it’s an international audience and most of the products are Chinese companies with zero footprint outside the Great Wall, warranty will obviously vary by region and local law.

How could they possibly test reliability in any reasonable time frame in the scope of a review. Run them all for 6 years?
You think reliability tests are 'now lets wait 6 years and see if it still works?'

Cars are in all sorts of extremes. Low quality components getting battered by heat and cool, high and low humidity could wreak havoc. Likewise condensation on glass.

Thinkware have a great reputation because they originally made sat navs. They know the market. Cheapo Chinese outfit are just assembling stuff with no real design engineering function.

Video quality is only useful if the camera / software is reliable.

Edit: the fact Linus has invested multi-millions in a dedicated testing lab makes it even more lol.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have actually been using a GoPro knock off call Gitup Git1 action cam as the rear Dashcam.

It doesn't use a Sony sensor, it uses a Panasonic CMOS sensor, it's been in the car for 5+ years now. It has a Dashcam mode which is what it's set to, self on, self shut down, but as it's 5 years old it's only 1080p. It's only $40 now as well.

The Git2 is the new one and does 2k, it's $90. If mine breaks i think i'll just replace it with a Git2.

Caporegime
You think reliability tests are 'now lets wait 6 years and see if it still works?'

Cars are in all sorts of extremes. Low quality components getting battered by heat and cool, high and low humidity could wreak havoc. Likewise condensation on glass.

Thinkware have a great reputation because they originally made sat navs. They know the market. Cheapo Chinese outfit are just assembling stuff with no real design engineering function.

Video quality is only useful if the camera / software is reliable.

Edit: the fact Linus has invested multi-millions in a dedicated testing lab makes it even more lol.
Clearly not just for dashcam reviews!

Soldato
But again, how do you expect them to realistically test reliability on a multi camera round up focused on video quality given the time they were using them?

All the cameras appeared to work for the period of testing and recoded video when they were meant to. If they didn’t you’d have thought they would mention it like they did for two cameras they bought previously.

It clearly wasn’t an in-depth review on any of the products shown. The premise was, can this thing record video to enable you to read a licence plate from a few meters away when moving. The answer for the most part was no.

The irony is that they actually recommended the thinkware as it did it’s core functionality better than the others (aka recorded video) and was cheaper than most of the others because it didn’t try to add a lot of value on stuff you probably don’t need like a built in screen.

PS. The testing lab isn’t really operational yet as you already probably know.

Associate
Tried to update my Nextbase 322GW today as the firmware was quite a bit out of date and the power button is now stuck in the unit so I can’t manually turn it on. If I plug a USB cable in the power comes on ok however.

Underboss
Tried to update my Nextbase 322GW today as the firmware was quite a bit out of date and the power button is now stuck in the unit so I can’t manually turn it on. If I plug a USB cable in the power comes on ok however.

sorry it is broken, but

you shouldn't need to manually turn it on/off anyway, mines been in for years (thinkware) and I've never touched it

Permabanned
I have the insta 360 and also a GoPro 9, the thought of someone breaking my window to nick the camera is more of a concern than accident footage quality with a cheap looking 1080p camera :p

Underboss
Hey all

I would like some advice please
What would you do in this situation ?

So i have a Thinkware Q800 PRO Front and rear installed with a battery pack

parking mode has stopped working last year, and I've just been running the camera directly off the cig lighter (so now no parking mode)

after I move home, the car will be replaced with a newer one when prices comes down

so getting it fixed has to be cheap as poss really

Took the car to a place that installed it, who couldn't fix it

so i can either,

buy a new front and rear camera with battery pack and pay for installation and get the old one ripped out

sell the old bits (not sure if battery pack is working though)

or

leave as it is

camera options would be either a Blackvue 590X or the 750X (or 750 LTE) with a blackVue battery pack

Cost will be 350 for the battery pack
240 for the 590X 2CH

£590 + £50 fitting

hopefully sell my old ones, £200 for the battery pack (cellink neo 9)
£100 for the Thinkware Q800 Pro

£300 back

but these are not the "plus" blackVue models, which are apparently "the ones to get"

anyone got a 590X ?

Soldato
Take the opportunity to get a triple camera dashcam: front, rear, and driver. This will stop other people claiming you were using your mobile phone or - as has happened in the USA - police officers claiming you weren't wearing your seatbelt.

Back
Top Bottom