Dashcams!

Hitman
Soldato
Looks good - thanks.

Can you turn off all the lane departure and front collision warning stuff? My car already has that suff so I don't want it on the dashcam too.

You can yeah - was one of the first things I did as mine has it also. I would also recommend setting the volume to 0 as you can't disable some of the annoying voices but setting the volume fixes this. The app to control the dashcam is pretty good, my only gripe would be that it's slow to download the videos to your phone if you wanted to do that.

Soldato
chaps, would you add your dashcam to your insurance policy for a 10% discount?

im up for a renewal and swiftcover offering 10% discount for dashcam

only thing is, in the event of an accident , if the dash came didnt record would insurance be void?

Soldato
I'd imagine there would be some consequences if it wasn't recording. Not sure if the whole policy would be void or if they'd just make you pay the difference or what. It's for that reason that I didn't bother taking advantage of it when renewing my insurance with AXA as I know my luck and it'd randomly break when I really need it.

Soldato
chaps, would you add your dashcam to your insurance policy for a 10% discount?

im up for a renewal and swiftcover offering 10% discount for dashcam

only thing is, in the event of an accident , if the dash came didnt record would insurance be void?

Most insurance companies, will expect you to have a Specific Dash cam that they have on a list, and nothing else

Associate
Try BlackVue my mrs is a driving instructor and has had a bus hit her on a lesson and more recently a taxi driver opened his door without looking done the whole left hand side from front wing doors and back wing in she had the crash from the front and rear view camera record the whole tyhing

Man of Honour
I'm doing 30k a year and don't really see the point of them? I was in a no fault incident about 6 weeks ago and had no issues claiming off their policy.

The only time I wish I'd have had one is when a 3 car pile up happened right in front of me. But for no other reason than to watch it back to myself.

Sure there are some complete idiots on the roads, but if you drive to the conditions and defensively then what's the worry?

Soldato
I'm doing 30k a year and don't really see the point of them? I was in a no fault incident about 6 weeks ago and had no issues claiming off their policy.

The only time I wish I'd have had one is when a 3 car pile up happened right in front of me. But for no other reason than to watch it back to myself.

Sure there are some complete idiots on the roads, but if you drive to the conditions and defensively then what's the worry?

I quite like grabbing stills of interesting vehicles that you come across every now and then, other than that I've not had anything interesting using mine for over three years (on cars and motorbikes) ..the trouble is once you start using one you feel that if you don't you'll miss something "good" the day you don't!! :D

Man of Honour
I quite like grabbing stills of interesting vehicles that you come across every now and then, other than that I've not had anything interesting using mine for over three years (on cars and motorbikes) ..the trouble is once you start using one you feel that if you don't you'll miss something "good" the day you don't!! :D
I have better things to be spending my money and time on to be honest, but each to their own. :)

Soldato
I have better things to be spending my money and time on to be honest, but each to their own. :)

I grab probably three stills of it a month lol, other than that there is no time/effort involved
I use one of my old GoPro HD2s so it wasn't a "special" purchase

I do keep looking at getting a hardwired one that auto loop records but as of yet I've not bothered

Soldato

Because someone might drive into you and claim it was your fault? I didn't think it was that hard to understand tbh?

I had my GoPro on when I got knocked off my bike. I don't know how much the footage showing it was clearly not my fault helped, but I was certainly glad to have it.

Soldato
Had a reply from swift cover

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that your insurance would not be void but if you were in an accident where our Claims Team need to request footage and the dash cam was not working you would need to clarify this with the Claims Department and they would go through this with you. We do advise that is it the responsibility of the Policyholder that the dash cam is working.

I chose "other" for dashcam model and still worked. Will be using my ddpai m6 plus

Soldato
I'd be careful with swiftcover. Although they can give some good quotes and offer a discount for a dashcam - they have really dumb things in their T&C's like if you make a claim for your windscreen, you don't get that years NCB.

Soldato
Just a heads up, a seller on auction site selling the ddpai m6 plus for £69.99 delivered (152466386146)

I've one gone for one, should be delivered in next couple off days. Will update then.

just an update, ddpai m6 plus arrived today (1st class recorded), brand new and sealed. impressive :)

Last edited:
Associate
just an update, ddpai m6 plus arrived today (1st class recorded), brand new and sealed. impressive :)

Received mine today, cheers for the heads up on the seller

Looks like a nice little camera from first impressions, yet to use it in car though :p

I'd suggest turning off some permissions if using the android app, don't understand why they want to read texts or see call related info?

Underboss

because other people are unpredictable ?
you just don't know when someones going to hit you

i wish i had a my camera working the other day (got it fixed now though) when it was 2 lanes at a roundabout, guy in front indicating left and stayed left, so i proceeded to go past into the right lane, and he decides to cut me off and turns left from the middle of both lanes !

Soldato
I have a rear cam on my 2010 Focus and it's a pain - putting camera on is ok but getting power was tricky - went up into boot lid lining then out by a hinge so power wire is hanging between boot lid and body -it's then tucked behind trim to boot-- I have a tow bar so a power supply was ok - If you are keen you can try and get wire down the flexi tube but you need to remove back of headlining.

Also the only sensible place to mount camera is dead center at top of rear window so wiper clears glass for it - if like mine on wet day you can't see anything out back

Soldato
ive not installed my rear camera yet, got to work out how on my focus 2.5, anyone done it?
A reply to my post on Focusstoc
http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/484993-ordered-a-dash-cam-for-my-st-today/?hl=+dash++cam
James, on 23 Nov 2016 - 18:07, said:
Feeding the wire behind the head lining should be fairly easy, there is around an inch gap behind it. If you was to take out both interior lights there should be enough to get a sparkys rod up there!
But I still haven't got around to fitting the rear cam on my focus ST yet (Maybe I try fitting it this weekend)

Last edited:
Associate
Is the Nextbase 512G the best option for £140 (or under) and under with parking mode and good all round light/night recording?

I never had a cam before but given the damage our WAV picked up over the past seven years from careless *****, I would like the new one coming today to have a bit of protection. I assume a rear cam is pointless if the windows have heavy tinting?

There have been a couple of times a cam would have been great as a witness too, as the police always ask if you have footage.

Back
Top Bottom