Dashcams!

Associate
Getting on really well with the Thinkware F750 , Very happy with it still. Captured some real "wtf" moments with it but not bothered to upload. Might have to start contributing a bit more to this thread.
I want to upgrade my Rexing to a F750 front and back, although a bit worried about the size of the F750 at the front, do you find it overly large ? - I would be leaving it in the car all the time so wouldnt want it to stand out.

Underboss
I want to upgrade my Rexing to a F750 front and back, although a bit worried about the size of the F750 at the front, do you find it overly large ? - I would be leaving it in the car all the time so wouldnt want it to stand out.

apparently the F750 does stand out a wee bit, the F770 is a little smaller and completely black, but the F750 is grey in places which would stand out more

i have the F770 and its fine

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small 2ch / dual view cam (one unit with cameras pointing in opposite directions)? I cant find any decent looking ones which dont have a screen, which I'm not really interested in.
Ideally as cheap as possible as the car is not very secure (soft top convertible).

Associate
I did actually have a look at that one, but seems a bit big and ideally don't want one with a screen making it look more valuable.

I am thinking of mounting it on the rear window to monitor the front and rear (small cabin two seater, so not far between rear window and front windscreen).

Underboss
I did actually have a look at that one, but seems a bit big and ideally don't want one with a screen making it look more valuable.

I am thinking of mounting it on the rear window to monitor the front and rear (small cabin two seater, so not far between rear window and front windscreen).

in that case, just get a 2ch one, and buy a short lead between the two
but it wont by any good for the front
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/blackvue-dr430-2ch-dash-cam
something like that, but you cant mount them on the back window to view the front

Soldato
I'm after a dashcam or possible two but want them to be very small and discrete, cant stand the look of big cameras and sat navs hanging on screens, any suggestions, something that I can hide behind the front rear view mirror without me seeing it would be good

*EDIT* (and a very fast one) just looked at ShiWarriors link above and that looks like it might do the job nicely :)

Associate
ok, ditching the idea of an all in one unit, is there anything available that separates the base unit into just a central box and then has 2 smaller cameras (similar size to the F770s second camera)? I have a very small rear view mirror.

You don't think monitoring the front would work from the rear window? - In the car I'm wanting to fit it to it would pretty much be on the drivers shoulder.

Commissario
Apologies for asking a question that's probably been answered a load of times, but...

Are there any recommendations for a front/rear dashcam that is discrete and can (preferably) be removed easily at least for the front, whilst not costing a fortune.

I've got to head into Luton on a regular basis for the near future and given it's the only place I've ever nearly had a rear ender due to "faulty" brake lights (on two occasions) on the car in front I sort of want something to help cover my back ;)

Soldato
To be honest, it barely seems like the guy is in control of his car in the seconds leading up to the collision with the OP!

That was my thinking too watching the video.

After the first fairly sharp brake you would have thought he'd leave a bit more room, but nope carries on, and after the second sharp brake then he ends up crashing into the back.

Almost got caught out the other day by some guy braking very sharply - admittedly i was probably a little closer to him than i should have been. Thankfully had some good brake pads and was able to stop very quickly, although i think the guy behind panicked as well. Was completely unnecessary for the guy infront to do a complete stop as well, and it's braking manoeuvres like that which cause accidents.

Soldato
Are there any recommendations for a front/rear dashcam that is discrete and can (preferably) be removed easily at least for the front, whilst not costing a fortune.

Koonlung K1S. The cameras can't be removed but are very small but the body itself can, and is smaller than a deck of cards.

Soldato
Can anyone confirm my thoughts before i kill myself hard wiring my dash cam?

I have a Citroen DS4, the fuse box is pretty handily tucked away in the glove compartment so getting to it is quite easy.

This is the fuse layout,
RxBc8x8l.jpg

I was thinking of using a tap like this, on the F14 Boot 12v fuse
3FcssXjl.jpg

With a cable like this,
bbHQlkil.jpg

To have a spare usb in my glove box to wire to the dashcam on windscreen.

Tap is rated for 12v 10A, so should be fine, I'm not sure where to ground the cable but i assume there must a screw somewhere nearby.

I was thinking of buying a Goluk T2, and since it is Micro USB, i could get a flat cable to run to my rear view where the camera will be.

My only question is, will this work? if I do tap it, i do have another dash i could put in the boot to look out back, will having 2 dash cams connected be fine on a 10A fuse. My current dashcam uses mini USB, so should be around 3A. Is my thinking reasonable?

Edit: Just looking at a video, the tap should have 2 fuses rated at 10A connected? So i assume this will split the load.

Soldato
Just installed an A119 into the Octavia to discover the 12v appliance socket is always on. Would it be OK leaving it plugged in all time? Or should I use one of the USB ports which are ignition controlled?

Back
Top Bottom