Daughter wants to play the witcher.

Soldato
loads of films have been reclassified over the years... The (fantastic) life of brian is now a 12A (I thought it was a 15 actually but i double checked just) back in the day that was X rated/banned!.

this is partly due to relaxing the rules however for new films it is also because many new films which would once have been an 18 have since been dialed back on the violence to market at a wider audience. This is definitely a double edged sword imo.

last time i saw the terminator, it had had part of the Bill Paxton "heart" scene ripped from it.

I dont think anyone would say the film is better without it, and as a shock value i think it is good to be in there, as it really sets the tone for what kind of villain the T800 is going to be and the dialogue was absolutely in keeping with the scene...... I can only think that was done to "protect" younger viewers (or make money by allowing a younger audience to view it legitimately)

Soldato
One of the reasons I went looking for a site like common sense media and find it useful was because I was finding the official ratings of movies and games very inaccurate.
When I was organizing my own media library I started paying more attention to things like age appropriateness. I also started looking for movies we could watch as a family.

Some kids are oblivious to somethings an older person will pick up. But not all. You seem people give their kids unfiltered access to Smart Phones way too young then wonder they they are getting harassed or have lots of insecurities and other issues. Again not everyone, but some.

Associate
I remember sneaking downstairs before school at 10y to watch Robocop.

Robocop's first stomps at the beginning gave me away, my Dad came downstairs and said well you've seen the worst part now you may as well watch the rest.

That film was the best thing I had ever seen at the time :D

Soldato
loads of films have been reclassified over the years... The (fantastic) life of brian is now a 12A (I thought it was a 15 actually but i double checked just) back in the day that was X rated/banned!.

this is partly due to relaxing the rules however for new films it is also because many new films which would once have been an 18 have since been dialed back on the violence to market at a wider audience. This is definitely a double edged sword imo.

last time i saw the terminator, it had had part of the Bill Paxton "heart" scene ripped from it.

I dont think anyone would say the film is better without it, and as a shock value i think it is good to be in there, as it really sets the tone for what kind of villain the T800 is going to be and the dialogue was absolutely in keeping with the scene...... I can only think that was done to "protect" younger viewers (or make money by allowing a younger audience to view it legitimately)

Its a money thing.

The result of particular interest is that a movie rated PG-13 will earn between $15M – $34M more than an R-rated movie, all else equal.

Its going to have access to a bigger audience with a lower rating.

For sure a scene like that terminator one, has significance. I do appreciate those differences (its why I like director cuts) , Losing it doesn't lose a whole lot either. Because the same idea is conveyed in other scenes.

Soldato
No matter what controls I have in place. (and I have a few). They can still go around to their mates house and watch something there.

I don't lose any sleep about that. Its aright of passage and having to sneak around me probably highlights that not all content is appropriate better than anything I can say.

Soldato
Reminds me a story a mate told me, that having snook a peak at some of his dads dogey vhs movies, he had put it all back in place thinking he got away with it.

Next day, he arrives at dinner and without warning the dad clips him around the ear. He'd been humming the tune from sound track.

Soldato
Witcher 3 isn't that bad. The first one encouraged you to sleep with as many people as possible to collect 'cards' IIRC. It's also fantasy, unlike GTA which is way too real for kids and dons an 18 (I know 10-year-olds that play this).

Soldato
I remember sneaking downstairs before school at 10y to watch Robocop.

Robocop's first stomps at the beginning gave me away, my Dad came downstairs and said well you've seen the worst part now you may as well watch the rest.

That film was the best thing I had ever seen at the time :D
Man, RoboCop was definitely a turning point for me too. Absolutely brutal.

Associate
On the same sort of thing, I'm sure alien was an 18 on release but I think its dropped to a 15 now.
Is it? That was definitely an 18. I remember watching Aliens when I was about 10.

My Dad had left the video in the Betamax, and I started playing it. I only got to where the marines first encounter Newt, was too scared to go beyond that bit for weeks. Then when I did watch it all a few weeks later, I remember having nightmares for about a week

Soldato
I remember watching Nightmare on Elm street, think I was around 10 or 11 at the time, gave me nightmares for a week.

Also remember watching Aliens when I was around 13, absolutely loved it. Still do to this very day.

Soldato
Is it? That was definitely an 18. I remember watching Aliens when I was about 10.

My Dad had left the video in the Betamax, and I started playing it. I only got to where the marines first encounter Newt, was too scared to go beyond that bit for weeks. Then when I did watch it all a few weeks later, I remember having nightmares for about a week
They need to do another proper one. Avps weren't bad, but I want one with actual marines. Tbh I'd accept a remake of aliens.

Back
Top Bottom