Death of movie theatres (cinemas)

Caporegime
RedLetterMedia have done an hour long video about the subject and it's pretty interesting. Most of it is obvious stuff really.

I recently let my odeon limitless+ membership lapse as the last movie I saw in the cinema was Dune: Part 2 and prior to that it was The Marvels.

Yet 5-6 years ago I was going at least once a week.

I never really had many bad experiences with audience members, but certainly my local Odeon was looking a bit tired. One of the screens (4 I think) had a dirty mark on it for what seemed like years. The main reason is that I can generally wait just 4 weeks and watch it at home whenever I want now.

You can see how things are shaping up by recent box office takings. I imagine Deadpool 3 will get punters in but not many movies this year will do big numbers.

What are your thoughts? Are cinemas going the way of the Dodo?

There's very little that makes me go to the cinema now.

I think home setups are at the point a lot of movies are more enjoyable at home, unless it's a big effects heavy cinematic type flick I'd rather be on my couch. The last flicks I bothered to go to see were:

- Godzilla/Kong New Empire
- Dune 2
- Top Gun 2

A cinema experience for me needs to be an event, something I benefit from in a way my home setup cannot compare to. That doesn't mean I don't very much enjoy other movies, but I have a semi-decent setup in my living room and it's simply a better experience when it's something like a romcon, general drama etc.

Last edited:
If I'm honest I never went to the cinema because I wanted to I only ever went because it was the only option to see a film early. There's rarely ever a film I want to see early now so never go. I'm always told you have to see it on a big screen but I don't care about that and never have.

Only times I've been to the cinema in years has been when going out either with people from work or someone's birthday, etc. as a prelude to clubbing. I much prefer watching movies in the comfort of my home cinema setup.

Would be a shame to see them going entirely but their place in the modern world is definitely challenged in the days of streaming and people regularly having a large 4K TV, etc. or even projector at home and people generally seem less inclined to be sociable these days.

Poor quality films, the cost of going to the cinema and the fact you only have to wait a month for a film to be on streaming. A film has to be a real event for me to go to the cinema. Only two films I've seen in the last few years are Dune and Dune part 2.

Poor quality films, the cost of going to the cinema and the fact you only have to wait a month for a film to be on streaming. A film has to be a real event for me to go to the cinema. Only two films I've seen in the last few years are Dune and Dune part 2.
Same for me.

We get six cinema tickets a year with our bank account and I save them for event films. We had twelve tickets over the last twelve months, because were gift the other six.

Ended up wasting four to see Fall Guy and Civil war, so we could use them up before they expired, because there was not enough to go and see over the last year. Both of those were available to stream within weeks of us going to the cinema.

Take those free tickets away and it would have to be something really special to get me to go to our local Odeon, when it's costs the best part of £50 for two of us.

It's not so much the films but having to deal with other people and their annoying quirks be it eating, slurping, talking or looking at a phone screen.
This is definitely a factor for me too. Most of the time I'd rather sit in front of my 65 inch oled and watch something in peace away from Jonny pleb :p

If I didn't have unlimited card seeing the normal prices now for bookings I can see why people only go every so often, example Imax Furiosa a normal ticket was £15.95.

We generally go for the early morning Saturday showings now as it's a different type of person and rarely get any interruptions.

Haven't been for years, used to go maybe once a year for a big release but prices are too high now and I just enjoy watching films at home more.

I have a decent TV and sound system to watch them on but more importantly I can pause the film for snacks or a pee break :o

Last edited:
We go more to take the kids than we do for us, usually the vue mini morns. Saw Dune 2 with a mate and recently took the eldest to see TPM. Probably won't see anything else other than deadpool this year.

Studios are letting their product go out on Physical and Streaming release far too early. If they want to maximise the the box office return they need to stretch that right out again. Frankly it's hard to understand how their strategists ever thought this would work out well.

Studios are letting their product go out on Physical and Streaming release far too early. If they want to maximise the the box office return they need to stretch that right out again. Frankly it's hard to understand how their strategists ever thought this would work out well.
Wouldn't make much difference, not to me anyway. Would still wait to watch at home because:

- cheaper
- more comfortable
- perfect conditions
- guaranteed image/sound quality
- can stop at any time for a break

Haven't been to the cinema since Feb and before that don't think I've been more than once a year.
Last time the picture and audio quality was shocking, seats uncomfortable, people talking/taking out phones and paid about 30£ for the privilege.

Avoid cinemas at all costs.

Wouldn't make much difference, not to me anyway. Would still wait to watch at home because:

- cheaper
- more comfortable
- perfect conditions
- guaranteed image/sound quality
- can stop at any time for a break

Haven't been to the cinema since Feb and before that don't think I've been more than once a year.
Last time the picture and audio quality was shocking, seats uncomfortable, people talking/taking out phones and paid about 30£ for the privilege.

Avoid cinemas at all costs.
Can't disagree, but it's a window and it probably won't move for you but it might for others. I would probably go a bit more often if everything wasn't so quickly available. Same for taking the kids.

Love going to the cinema

it basically boils down to:

1) Something looks absolutely amazing - cinema for best experience
2) Its part of something I love (Like a Starwars or something)
3) Otherwise watch it when its on streaming - cinema is just too darn expensive for repeat trips for random viewing things that may or may not be good

its probably 3 or 4 times a year at most

Dune 2 is the only film I've seen in the cinema this year? it was great on the big screen, worth the cost. Ill watch Deadpool at cinema as well, just because it looks fun
other than that? not much on the radar

last year 3 times?
Napoleon - looked amazing on big screen (NOT a great film at all though!)
Mario - my kids first cinema trip so was fun just for that
Oppenheimer - amazing ! worth the cost

id go more often for films that im not guaranteed to like IF
a) lower cost (£5 a time? £16 is never happening unless im 100% sold on the film from the trailer)
b) lower food costs (Its completely insane at the moment like restaurant pricing for bad petrol station quality food)
c) free parking would help
d) make better films! "desperate for content rota" seems to be driving everything rather than good ideas or giving film makers time to make things good

We have a nice cinema here, (Showcase) good seats / screen / sound etc
never had any issues from other people in the cinema ruining it or anything (other than being there :D)

Back
Top Bottom