Death of movie theatres (cinemas)

Don't think anyone's mentioned yet - but the absolute deluge of social media and seeing these so-called 'stars' act like self-endulgent *****, behaving like fools or worse (e.g. Will Smith's Oscar punch) has removed a lot of the magic and excitement about seeing your favourite actors in great movies. I'm not spending a penny to see the likes of him every again...and many like him. They're all 'just like us' really, and our very best friends.

The magic has almost gone, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
Near £30 for a family of 4 in my small local Cinema. The screen and sound system is also a very long way off the best.

So I have a 4K pixel shifter projector and built my own screen, of course its totally different than a real Cinema but I just prefer it personally.

Im not sure they are dying though, they seem to enough customers to keep going for now.

I go almost every week cause of the membership sub. There always normally something to watch. Nothing beats the big screen imo.

Last edited:
I go almost every week cause of the membership sub. There always normally something to watch. Nothing beats the big screen imo.

Your threshold for watchable films must be much lower than mine. There's no way I could go every week and convince myself that those hours couldn't have been spent doing something more entertaining or engaging.

Last edited:
I've watched a couple of films this year (Dune 2, Civil War, struggling to remember any others) and will see Deadpool. Not aware of anything else that I'm bothered about for the rest of the year.

I wish more films used the IMAX Enhanced format or just shot in TV aspect ratio.

They killed themselves off. Some great memories, but my home cinema system is almost as engaging, I can stream/play on demand, I can take a loo break whenever, don’t have to leave the house and my kitchen full of snacks costs me pennies in comparison. There are also very very few movies that captivate me now and far too many reboots/rehashes. Give me the days of Predator, Star Wars, Terminator etc etc. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Last edited:
The same fears were echoed in the 80's when cinema numbers had collapsed by mid decade and significant numbers of cinemas closed.

It was blamed then on the advent of video, which certainly had an impact. But ultimately cinemas survived, by improving, innovating and I'd say because it's more about a social experience/night out.

So, I'd agree they are under serious pressure again with the quality of home systems, quick to streaming rights and the rising costs to do business but people will always want to 'go out'.

I will say though, behaviour in the cinema is at some of the worst I've ever known, especially with people checking phones.

I mentioned in another thread recently that unless its an Imax or x-plus type screen, I'd rather watch a film at home on my atmos setup, but I'll still travel a good way to see a blockbuster on an Imax.

So it'll probably survive again, but I wouldnt be surprised to see it go through a downsizing for a while.

My local Vue has added in some recliner seats and they’re really good. It makes being up front in the first couple of rows great and imax-like as you can lie back and soak it in, massive screen size without straining your neck.

I make a point of going with my partner - going to the movies is a bit of a date. Keeps the weekends feeling a little fresh rather than sitting inside like we do on weekdays.

I’d say the price of a ticket is fair, tends to be £10ish. Drinks and snacks are definitely expensive (maybe £15 for two of us). £35 for an afternoon out though - s’alright.

Last edited:
Love going to the Movie Theatre!!
Lack of good films is the reason why I don’t go regularly anymore.

Give me a reason to go!!

Last 3 films I’ve seen Home Alone, DieHard and Dune 2. Think that says it all.

The real problem is that going to the cinema used to be an accessible activity, subsidised by volume. Between the pandemic and inflation it no longer is - just as most "fast" food is now bordering on a luxury.

Now if cinemas were like one we did actually go to back in February I'd probably go more.

We wanted to see the Pathé Tuschinski Cinema while we were in Amsterdam and it was glorious, even though we were in a smaller side screen.

The only downside was we had to watch Argyle as that was the only thing on when we had time

I wrote this four years ago and I think its still valid -

4HglpqO.png

Back
Top Bottom