Death of movie theatres (cinemas)

Yes I'm sure they all have half the street round their house to watch films rather than hunched over their laptop by themselves, Im sure you are right.. :D
You don't have to have half the street round for it to be social...families, partners, friends. Can't believe I'm having to explain this. Keep digging though.

Streaming is declining and will ultimately consolidate into less platforms - but what has been proven is that first run major films premiering on all you can eat platforms isn't financially viable.

There's always going to be a decline, you can't just keep going up and there was always going to be a dip after the Covid streaming spike. It may decline and we may see fewer platforms, but it doesn't mean that the "streaming experiment failed".

Last edited:
There's always going to be a decline, you can't just keep going up and there was always going to be a dip after the Covid streaming spike. It may decline and we may see fewer platforms, but it doesn't mean that the "streaming experiment failed".

So why does every big trailer say ‘exclusively in cinemas’ at the end?

So why does every big trailer say ‘exclusively in cinemas’ at the end?

The streaming model is seen as a complement to theatrical release rather than a replacement. By staggering releases, studios can maximise revenue across platforms. The initial theatrical window can capture a core audience willing to pay a premium for the cinema experience, followed by wider accessibility through streaming.

The phrase "exclusively in cinemas" was not commonly used before Covid because the traditional release model already implied that films would be shown in cinemas first. The standard practice was for films to have a theatrical window, typically lasting several weeks or months, before being made available on other platforms and eventually streaming services. This process was well understood by audiences and did not need to be explicitly mentioned.

Last edited:
I have a nice home cinema setup, but was also, at one point going to the cinema once or twice a week, as i had a cineworld card. I gave that up years ago though and only tend to go when there is something i really want to watch, and will benefit from being on a big screen and a huge sound system, like Dune 2.

Before Dune 2, I think the last time we went to the cinema was almost a year ago. We have been twice since Dune was released, one was the new GodzillaxKong film the other was to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for its 20 year anniversary.

The cost of it all is just a little crazy theses days, and expecting people to be able to afford the prices with everything else on top is not going to happen.

With a very small Cineworld discount, 2 tickets is £21 (more for IMAX but they don't have that at the cinema closest to me). If you want to get the full experience, 2 Large Pepsis and a Large Popcorn adds another £20+. That's a lot of money for something i can do all at home for a few quid.

The streaming model is seen as a complement to theatrical release rather than a replacement. By staggering releases, studios can maximise revenue across platforms. The initial theatrical window can capture a core audience willing to pay a premium for the cinema experience, followed by wider accessibility through streaming.

The phrase "exclusively in cinemas" was not commonly used before Covid because the traditional release model already implied that films would be shown in cinemas first. The standard practice was for films to have a theatrical window, typically lasting several weeks or months, before being made available on other platforms and eventually streaming services. This process was well understood by audiences and did not need to be explicitly mentioned.

We are talking about all you can eat services not VOD, which existed long before covid and other than shorter windows is the same as it ever was.

The streaming experiment, as a consequence of covid, was premiering first run films on platforms like Disney+ on the assumption that it would drive subscriber growth - this didn't work, hence the experiment failed. The phrase 'exclusively in cinemas' is specifically a consequence of this.

We are talking about all you can eat services not VOD, which existed long before covid and other than shorter windows is the same as it ever was.

The streaming experiment, as a consequence of covid, was premiering first run films on platforms like Disney+ on the assumption that it would drive subscriber growth - this didn't work, hence the experiment failed. The phrase 'exclusively in cinemas' is specifically a consequence of this.

No, that's not what we're talking about, you've decided to try and move the goalposts to fit what was a very poor initial post from yourself.

The streaming experiment hasn't failed as of yet, it had a spike during covid and is now in a natural decline from that. It was never intended to completely replace the first phase of theatrical release, just a short-term stopgap when people couldn't or didn't want to go to the cinema because of Covid.

Here's the data on Disney+ worldwide subscriber count for the past 4 years:

R3broSV.png

Last edited:
yes but I'm not one of the socially awkward members that avoids being in social situations and would prefer all the cinemas to go bust to normalise sitting at home to watch first run films..

I've got both unlimited and mylimitless subs plus a decent TV and sound system but would never take watching a first run film at home over the cinema..
Which members are socially akward?

No, that's not what we're talking about, you've decided to try and move the goalposts to fit what was a very poor initial post from yourself.

The streaming experiment hasn't failed as of yet, it had a spike during covid and is now in a natural decline from that. It was never intended to completely replace the first phase of theatrical release, just a short-term stopgap when people couldn't or didn't want to go to the cinema because of Covid.

I think it's you who is confused - what exactly are you claiming is experimental about VOD services? They have been around for years.

I'll go with the CEO of IMAX's opinion..

"The narrative to go right to streaming has been thrown away. That experiment just didn't work. It failed," Gelfond said.

I didn't make that claim, you assumed I did, just like you assumed everyone on here who doesn't go to the cinema as much as they used to is probably down to them being socially awkward.

You said the "experiment hasn't failed yet" and referred to VOD - which VOD experiment?

Stop trying to change the subject lol.

You said the "experiment hasn't failed yet" and referred to VOD - which VOD experiment?

Stop trying to change the subject lol.

I wasn't referring to VOD, you were the one who brought it up.

It's over, just accept that your original post was a load of nonsense and this back and forth is just an attempt to distract from it now that you've realised how stupid it was.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to VOD, you were the one who brought it up.

It's over, just accept that your original post was a load of nonsense and this back and forth is just an attempt to distract from it now that you've realised how stupid it was.

You literally said the 'experiment' hasnt failed and then went on to describe VOD.

What experiment are you talking about then lol?

You literally said the 'experiment' hasnt failed and then went on to describe VOD.

What experiment are you talking about then lol?

Must be a lack of reading comprehension on your part.

People on here who used to go to the cinema don't go now because they're socially awkward, and the streaming experiment has failed because studios now put "exclusively in cinemas" on some trailers.

In reality it's much more nuanced than that, but your favourite tactic on here has always been to exaggerate and distract.

Must be a lack of reading comprehension on your part.

People on here who used to go to the cinema don't go now because they're socially awkward, and the streaming experiment has failed because studios now put "exclusively in cinemas" on some trailers.

In reality it's much more nuanced than that, but your favourite tactic on here has always been to exaggerate and distract.

What specifically is nuanced and what 'experiment' were you referring to in your earlier post? You dont understand what 'the streaming experiment' is (or was) and you seem to think that VOD is some new development.

The streaming experiment has failed.

What specifically is nuanced and what 'experiment' were you referring to in your earlier post? You dont understand what 'the streaming experiment' is (or was) and you seem to think that VOD is some new development.

The streaming experiment has failed.

I understand it perfectly, you just made a number of assumptions to explain how it failed when it didn't.

There was never any experiment that was looking to replace the theatrical release window in the long term. Also, there was never any need to mention "exclusively in cinemas" for big trailers before that, as that was obvious.

Last edited:
It's sad but just another way the country has changed. We no longer consume films in the same way. They'll probably end up becoming better things we need more of like Turkish barbers, coffee shops, Tesco express stores, over priced gyms and Mcdonalds. ;)
They'll probably mostly become flats and new build box house developments at the bigger plots. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom