Decision time: LG OLED55B6V vs Sony Bravia 55XD9305

Man of Honour
Priced at £1799 (LG) and £1299 (Sony) respectively, a notable price difference.

I'll likely be keeping it for at least 4 years or so. Main uses are gaming, movies, TV, sport, the usual.

I've read the reviews and will go and demo the TV's, but what would you go for, and why?

Caporegime
The sony because

"Using our Leo Bodnar tester we initially measured the B6 in the calibrated ISF Expert mode and got an input lag of 63ms but as soon as we selected the Game mode that dropped to a lag of 38ms which should be low enough for all but the most demanding of gamers. However since you can't select the Game mode when the TV is receiving an HDR signal, that means that for HDR gaming the input lag will be closer to the 63ms we measured in other modes.

In terms of the B6’s energy consumption it proved to be very efficient and we measured the out-of-the-box Eco picture mode at 147W on a full window 50% white pattern and our calibrated ISF Expert (Dark Room) mode used 81W, whilst the ISF Expert (Bright Room) mode used 98W. Once we moved on to the brighter HDR mode the level of energy consumption increased, with the LG drawing 140W, although that was still impressively low considering."

OLED is no good for gaming especially HDR gaming

Associate
I was faced with basically the same choice last month and I went with the Samsung KS8000. Input lag and image retention put me off the B6.

Build quality on my KS8000 is spot on and I have no issues with the panel. Bought from JL.

Caporegime
Disagree entirely with Psycho.

I have an 65B6V and was concerned about the input lag before buying it, but having used it extensively with my Titan X SLI PC and Xbox One S (using a Wireless XBox One controller with both) that I cannot detect the input lag with 'Game' mode enabled and the image quality blows me away, particularly the brightness, colours and the blacks compared with my X34a 21:9 monitor.

I have played a few HDR games, Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox One S and Shadow Warrior 2 on Steam and HDR works great. You definately notice the input lag with HDR games, and though they are still playable it's not as nice as the standard Game mode.

However, LG have already confirmed an Firmware update is on the way to add a Game mode for HDR and this is expected to reduce input lag in line with standard game mode (38ms)
https://twitter.com/LGUS/status/807670260216295424

Soldato
The sony because

"Using our Leo Bodnar tester we initially measured the B6 in the calibrated ISF Expert mode and got an input lag of 63ms but as soon as we selected the Game mode that dropped to a lag of 38ms which should be low enough for all but the most demanding of gamers. However since you can't select the Game mode when the TV is receiving an HDR signal, that means that for HDR gaming the input lag will be closer to the 63ms we measured in other modes.

In terms of the B6’s energy consumption it proved to be very efficient and we measured the out-of-the-box Eco picture mode at 147W on a full window 50% white pattern and our calibrated ISF Expert (Dark Room) mode used 81W, whilst the ISF Expert (Bright Room) mode used 98W. Once we moved on to the brighter HDR mode the level of energy consumption increased, with the LG drawing 140W, although that was still impressively low considering."

OLED is no good for gaming especially HDR gaming

All lg OLEDs have had a firmware update that lowers the input lag in HDR to game mode levels

Associate
If gaming on the B6 works well for you then cool.

When I did my research prior to purchase I read enough not to want to risk it, and at that point the firmware update to improve the input lag hadn't been confirmed for the B6.

Caporegime
me too lol, I certainly don't notice input lag on my B6 while gaming and the tv looks stunning

you wouldn't on normal gaming anything under 40ms isn't noticeable unless your really young or some kind of reaction freak. so i can agree to that.

however "input lag of 63ms" on HDR gaming would be noticeable in fact i cannot use my plasma in non game made because of similar lag and i have to use game mode to get it down to 28ms (iirc). lag of 63ms i would be pressing the button then waiting for the action to happen on screen before pressing the next button it is that noticeable to me on my plasma in non game mode. however 38ms (non HDR gaming) i doubt i would notice the wait time but I am used to sub 30ms tv's.

if there is a firmware update coming which fixes this then it's no issue, but that's if it does come.

as above i would be looking at the KS8000, cheaper too.

Soldato
Spend the extra £££ and go for the OLED i was initially going to buy the samsung 55" ks8000 but after seeing the LG C6 i was blown away by the blacks it really does make all the difference to me and the lg web 3.0 operating system is superb:)

I dont regret spending the extra £££ and now the tv has been updated with a HDR game mode with lower input lag it ticks all the boxes in my book.

Associate
I have a similar choice. I have 40" Samsung 6700 series which I've been very happy with in my bedroom but the OLED screen is extremely tempting for the living room.

My understanding is OLED has less motion blur even if it has slightly more lag? I'm seriously thinking of the KS7000 as review say it's had a good balance of features but almost half the cost of the LG OLED. To be honest the Samsung I currently have is pretty good with blacks although OLED will always be better.

NickDJ

Caporegime
I was initially looking at the KS8000 and under store conditions in John Lewis, I couldn't see the benefit of the OLED as the Samsung looked nice and bright.

Under home conditions where I tend to watch TV with just a lamp on...LG all the way. I don't need my retinas burned out by LED's

I have since seen my friends 55KS8000 and though it's still a very nice TV and the blacks are decent - It doesn't really compare.

Back
Top Bottom