"Delivery" by Amazon

Caporegime
Mine gets left in my porch. Pre covid, I was always going to the post office or reorganising stuff. Now, it's there when I get home. It's awesome.

Soldato
I had an amazon delivery this morning. I wasn't in as the tracking stated tomorrow however the driver called me to ask about a safe place. I gave him the gate lock code and he popped it in the storage bin I have for deliveries when I'm out.

Be aware that if your parcel goes missing or gets damaged after you've instructed them to leave it in a safe place, then you have 100% liability.

Man of Honour
I had a delivery that I thought shouldn't happen.
I saw the guy on my Ring and I received the email notification.
I got home and it was for a woman in another street, now I thought they scanned the package, press OK and the person whose package it is would get the email notification?
I spent 45 mins on CHAT an deventually they let me take the parcel to the woman 100 yards away but I would have to wait 5 days because mine might turn up.
At 5pm my Ring buzzed while I was out and he had returned with my package so I told him I took the other to the proper owner.

However I'm still puzzled that if they scan packages why did i get the email?

Associate
I had a multi item Amazon delivery that I'd added a bulk 1KG milk bottle sweets to have working during lockdown that I hadn't had for ages.

They were stated as delivered and received by customer, when I contacted them turn out the driver had 'lost' the package.

They sometimes send them out in the factory boxes that state the contents, some crafty delivery driver is likely eating that box right now on their deliveries.

Caporegime
OP
You got it, undamaged. So where's the problem?

Lots of could haves but
It's been raining on and off. It wasn't under a porch or sheltered in any way. It was easily accessible by any passer-by.

I got lucky, because I checked my emails first thing (I don't normally do that).

Would you leave a package fully exposed to the weather not knowing what it contained?

I mean it just doesn't seem like a smart idea, does it? Either for me OR the company I purchased it from.

You can bet that this kind of delivery will see a) increased incidents of theft and b) increased incidents of damage.

Sure neither of those happened to me in this case, but clearly this is going to cause problems for many.

Associate
My item that should have arrived yesterday never did turn up.
I got an email saying it had been delivered so i got onto their live chat system.

Apparently there was an error scanning it in the warehouse and it never got put on the delivery vehicle, so how could it say it was delivered?
Anyway they advised i wait until the 8th before i do anything just incase it turns up, i asked that if it's in the warehouse surely it can be delivered today.
That seemed a task too far.

Thankfully it's just a few quid nik nak and not something high value.
It's the 3rd item in 6 months that's been delivered but hasn't.

Soldato
I've had boxes left in the front yard (I'm a mid terraced house) that's been nicked. Amazon thankfully did provide a replacement

I live in a mid-terrace too, but one that opens straight onto the pavement, and on numerous occasions have had them leave parcels just sitting in the pavement outside of my front door without even knocking on or ringing the bell. A few times my neighbour has seen this and taken the parcel in, but on the majority of occasions that this has happened the parcel has been half-inched.

The best thing is when they have bothered to push a card through it says they've left in my designated safe place, well that's a lie as my designated safe place is actually with my neighbour who hardly ever leaves their house.

Man of Honour
My special delivery instructions clearly state "If packages won't go through the letterbox please put INSIDE the blue wheelie bin in the driveway".
Out of the last 20 parcels only 1 has ended up in the blue wheelie bin, most have been by it, one has been under it, some behind it but yesterdays was right at the back of my garden under a hedge.
He shouted at me on my RING that is was "around the back" but it took me ages :)

Caporegime
OP
I think what you're all telling me is that now is a really terrible time to order anything expensive. :p

Otherwise somebody passing by my house is going to have themselves a nice new PC build, completely free of charge :p

Man of Honour
I think what you're all telling me is that now is a really terrible time to order anything expensive. :p

Otherwise somebody passing by my house is going to have themselves a nice new PC build, completely free of charge :p

You know damn well after 25,000 posts that if you have a legitimate complaint everybody on GD will argue against it so suck it up buttercup.

Permabanned
Holy crap.

Checked my email this morning to find my package is "delivered". Yet we've heard nothing and seen nobody.

Open the front door and literally they just left it on the welcome mat outside. It's been raining on and off and the package is electricals, inside only a cardboard box.

Not only that but our house is on a terraced estate and anybody walking past could just have helped themselves to the package.

Seriously, why are (some) delivery people so **** stupid? And in such a hurry that they couldn't have knocked? We were up and about and could have received/signed for the parcel.

A couple hours later, and if I hadn't checked my emails, the damn thing would have been ruined.

The delivery company on the tracking info is "Amazon". Not DPD, Hermes or whatever. Just Amazon. I hope they're not always this bad!

/rant

No way I would just end it now pal.
Don't know how you would carry on living after that episode.

Soldato
So nothing happened? First world problems.

yeah - my thoughts exactly.

They can't win - They don't deliver/a day later and people go mental claiming compensation of a month extra prime etc, Or they deliver to your house, place the item outside your door, email you tell you it's delivered and your still not happy....

Tough crowd.....

Soldato
Holy crap.

Checked my email this morning to find my package is "delivered". Yet we've heard nothing and seen nobody.

Open the front door and literally they just left it on the welcome mat outside. It's been raining on and off and the package is electricals, inside only a cardboard box.

Not only that but our house is on a terraced estate and anybody walking past could just have helped themselves to the package.

Seriously, why are (some) delivery people so **** stupid? And in such a hurry that they couldn't have knocked? We were up and about and could have received/signed for the parcel.

A couple hours later, and if I hadn't checked my emails, the damn thing would have been ruined.

The delivery company on the tracking info is "Amazon". Not DPD, Hermes or whatever. Just Amazon. I hope they're not always this bad!

/rant

Because it's the race to the bottom. We all want cheap/free urgent delivery and we don't want to pay for it. So in turn they pay a pittance to delivery drivers who have to deliver 100s of packages in a small space of time and therefore corners like this get cut.

Soldato
Have you actually got a doorbell? thousands have not, so expect the self employed delivery guy to knock once and hope you hear it because they have no time to stand around waiting for people to come to the door

Soldato
Mine have always got left in our enclosed front porch, as per delivery instructions. Just one of them left a parcel, post Covid, outside in plain sight, doing so without ringing the doorbell as we were in at the time. Alexa told us that it had been delivered, thankfully we got to it before the rest of the world did.
Overall the delivery has always been good.
It is mixed tho whether they ring the bell or not, that has got worse since Covid. I do leave appropriate feedback via the app if the delivery was great or not.
House is fully covered with CCTV.
I am a Prime member.

What I do have some issues with is when an item can become faulty and it is beyond a year or so old. Even tho it might have been fulfilled by Amazon there can be an initial resistance to accept a return and replacement.
This was very bad with my almost three years old Asus router (three years warranty advertised on Amazon's site and fulfilled by Amazon) and was a small issue last night with a 13 months old faulty kettle (2 years warranty and again fulfilled by Amazon). Both were resolved but not without a great deal of resistance with the router and some initial problems with the kettle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom