"Delivery" by Amazon

Soldato
Well I ordered something the other day got an email at 10.15 this morning saying it'll be delivered today. Great, except that the doorbell rang at... 6.15 a.m. this morning. Yes thats a quarter past six in the morning. Woke me up and before I'd even got a chance to put something on he was gone just got a glimpse of a large SUV outside. Now the tracking says "delivering wednesday". Not too pleased to be honest. Wonder if he'll be back at 5 a.m.? I'm thinking of disconnecting the door bell...

edit: its just a bloomin' DVD worth a tenner if that just shove it through the letterbox already!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Get used to it. I had a delivery which I got to come to work and was meant to be here Friday nut they didnt come so expect Monday. I was then surprised to get an email at 10am Saturday morning with a picture of my parcel propped up against the roller shutters of my work place (closed obviously) where it would remain until Monday morning in all the rain (assuming somebody didnt steal it)

Soldato
'Delivery by Hermes'
Weird click and collect service at superdrug - I have a message from Hermes saying they are delivering my item to their store !

Man of Honour
I've taken to not buying anything online that can't be delivered to a locker or some other pickup point. It's just not worth the risk of trying to have it delivered to your home. Home delivery has now been made less convenient than collecting the delivery yourself. Or using a physical shop.

Soldato
Service does seem to vary the DVD arrived the next day and the guy was really attentive about making sure I got it. Another delivery the next day I got a "delivered" text/email but what came through the letterbox wasn't even addressed to me. Later the guy upstairs knocked on my door saying "I believe this belongs to you..." it had been left outside his door. Whereas I figured out the address of what was posted through mine and made a trip to the neighbouring block of flats and handed it over to a girl over there... basically a game of musical pass the parcel. This one didn't even bother knocking/buzzing the door so I can only assume its down to the driver if you get a good one you're ok if not... good luck.

P.S. it was an expensive parcel nearly a hundred quid the DVD basically worthless... go figure.

Man of Honour
I'm not happy with Amazon at the moment, I pay for Prime and my safe place is my blue dustbin however they've been sending Royal Mail with parcels and they won't leave them anywhere.
This means a 2 mile drive to get them :(

Soldato
My special delivery instructions clearly state "If packages won't go through the letterbox please put INSIDE the blue wheelie bin in the driveway".
Out of the last 20 parcels only 1 has ended up in the blue wheelie bin, most have been by it, one has been under it, some behind it but yesterdays was right at the back of my garden under a hedge.
He shouted at me on my RING that is was "around the back" but it took me ages :)

I guess most are worried about dropping it in the bin and then finding out that you have complained because the binmen have been round and emptied your bin.

I had a courier yesterday try and shove a pair of trousers through the letterbox. The bag got about halfway in and wouldn't budge anymore and by that time I had got to the door. No idea why the idiot didn't ring the doorbell.

Man of Honour
I guess most are worried about dropping it in the bin and then finding out that you have complained because the binmen have been round and emptied your bin.

Our bins are put out at the front, our binmen won't collect them from behind a gate 20 yards up the drive :)
It also says on my special instructions that the bins have CCTV on them so don't worry.

Soldato
To top it all guess what got me out of bed this morning... a scam phone call from an Indian call centre (they always are) claiming to be from Amazon regarding my Prime subscription went through several menus got transferred to another guy who asked what device I was using then told me to open www.anydesk.... basically one of those sites where they take control of your desktop remotely (was expecting an Amazon site) when the penny finally dropped... told them "this is a ******* scam isn't it? **** off!"

They've never gotten as far as speaking with me before they try at least once a week. Next time they'lll probably have a spoofed amazon site to take you to I shouldn't wonder. No wonder people get caught if they're not on the ball I was literally half asleep.

Soldato
It isn't the Postie, it is the multiple different Royal Mail drivers.
I've even spoke to them on my Blinks and last week on a Ring doorbell but they won't leave them :(

After having a few parcels mysteriously disappear into the ether after being told they've been delivered I've started using click and collect with Amazon orders now - Stoke Post Office is just a five minute bike ride down the road. I believe there's a designated pick up point up near you too.

Man of Honour
After having a few parcels mysteriously disappear into the ether after being told they've been delivered I've started using click and collect with Amazon orders now - Stoke Post Office is just a five minute bike ride down the road. I believe there's a designated pick up point up near you too.

I started a thread on here about two years ago and ended up getting a new driving license because so I could collect without the need for my passport however I live in quite a safe place and my blue bin is in a safe place where it has got CCTV on it. Royal Mail are a pain.
Amazon drivers at least get it near my bin if not inside :)

Soldato
I had an 800 quid phone sitting on my door mat for over 12 hours while I was on shift. Delivered just as I left for work.

The tracking said delivered to customer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a guy call me yesterday about a delivery, expect he was just delivered the item by UPS. Completely different building down the road. Apparently the driver dropped it off and was adamant it was for us and just left.

Thankfully, as I said, the guy that collected it called me to let me know :rolleyes:

Soldato
I can see why Hermes/others have a dichotomy if some actually instruct them to put stuff in bins
- for starters : neither our green, nor blue bins would be guaranteed clean

edit: some of our neighbours have been using a bin cleaning service though - guy with power washer on a trailer - too much money.

Back
Top Bottom