"Delivery" by Amazon

Man of Honour
We must be pretty lucky here as all the delivery people wait for us to answer the door. Some ring the bell and some knock. The local Menzies driver when he knocks you think he's trying to knock the door down he knocks so loud but then again he's probably deaf from the volume of the stereo in his van. The worst here are the posties who walk around in the rain with a pile of mail in their hands so when you get it it's soaking wet. They do wait for us to answer the door though if there is a package.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Most drivers are pretty good around us and either leave in a safe place or with neighbours, but had one last week that left a large bag of Next clothes outside the front door while we were out. Unfortunately had a DPD and Amazon delivery due the same day as well, these drivers took the large bag as a que to leave everything else with that bag. When we eventually got home there were 6 boxes and the bag piled outside the front door :rolleyes:

Soldato
Nothing if you only want it to notify you and for a live view, otherwise £2.50 if you want to save videos which I won't need. You get free cloud storage for a month.
I have Blinks and they have free cloud storage.

Why can't it just save/archive videos on a NAS in your home considering it's wifi enabled? The 'cloud' nonsense just seems like an excuse for an additional revenue stream.

Caporegime
OP
A lot of first world problems in this post. Get over it
This is the stupidest phrase, ever.

"I've just bought a £500 bit of electronics and I'll be absolutely fine if it gets stolen or left outside in the rain. Because to complain about this would be to ignore all the starving children in Africa." (I'm exaggerating the cost of the item which wasn't £500, to make a point. It could have been a £500 CPU or GPU quite easily).

Seriously, the phrase is mostly used by people as a lazy way to dismiss real problems.

Why is it a problem? Let's talk about waste, shall we?

When a £500 bit of electronics gets lost or damaged needlessly, another £500 piece of electronics needs to be manufactured to replace it. Think of the wasted energy to produce that item. Think of the wasted materials. Think of the energy that gets used mining for those materials. Think of the transport costs of shipping those goods and their replacements.

If you think lost, stolen or damaged goods are just "first world problems," then frankly you aren't engaging your brain.

We need to be smarter and more efficient with our use of finite resources.

A big part of that is cutting down on waste. Wilfully allowing goods to be damaged needlessly or stolen, due to an extreme lack of care, is contrary to everything we should be doing right now.

The "first world problem" that your post demonstrates, is that we don't understand, or just don't care, about waste.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is the stupidest phrase, ever.

"I've just bought a £500 bit of electronics and I'll be absolutely fine if it gets stolen or left outside in the rain. Because to complain about this would be to ignore all the starving children in Africa." (I'm exaggerating the cost of the item which wasn't £500, to make a point. It could have been a £500 CPU or GPU quite easily).

Seriously, the phrase is mostly used by people as a lazy way to dismiss real problems.

Why is it a problem? Let's talk about waste, shall we?

When a £500 bit of electronics gets lost or damaged needlessly, another £500 piece of electronics needs to be manufactured to replace it. Think of the wasted energy to produce that item. Think of the wasted materials. Think of the energy that gets used mining for those materials. Think of the transport costs of shipping those goods and their replacements.

If you think lost, stolen or damaged goods are just "first world problems," then frankly you aren't engaging your brain.

We need to be smarter and more efficient with our use of finite resources.

A big part of that is cutting down on waste. Wilfully allowing goods to be damaged needlessly or stolen, due to an extreme lack of care, is contrary to everything we should be doing right now.

The "first world problem" that your post demonstrates, is that we don't understand, or just don't care, about waste.

If you're that environmentally concerned then the best thing would be not to buy that £500 bit of electronics in the first place.

Caporegime
OP
If you're that environmentally concerned then the best thing would be not to buy that £500 bit of electronics in the first place.
Why should we have a choice of two extremes?

"Don't buy anything," being one those two choices and "Don't care about waste and just view everything as disposable," being the other?

Surely buying things and still being conscious of waste is a fairly solid middle ground?

We should all be conscious of waste.

A huge amount of waste in our society is entirely avoidable.

Again, the first-world problem here is just not caring about waste.

Soldato

Agreed lol.

If you're so concerned about it have a proper dry safe place to leave stuff in. We've got a small shed next to front door and delivery drivers leave stuff there as requested. Only company that always struggles is royal mail but they're years behind everyone else when it comes to tracking and deliveries.

Caporegime
Why should we have a choice of two extremes?

"Don't buy anything," being one those two choices and "Don't care about waste and just view everything as disposable," being the other?

Surely buying things and still being conscious of waste is a fairly solid middle ground?

We should all be conscious of waste.

A huge amount of waste in our society is entirely avoidable.

Again, the first-world problem here is just not caring about waste.

Does caring about waste include fly-tipping?

Caporegime
OP
Does caring about waste include fly-tipping?
I'm strongly against littering. We often litter pick around the lanes here.

Most of our biodegradable house and garden waste is composted, in fact, and re-used on the garden.

I know what you're referring to. Emptying a bag of brambles from the garden into a coppice will be completely indistinguishable from vegetation that grew there naturally.

You can call that littering or fly-tipping to make a (somewhat daft) point, but what do you think happened before we had Recycling Centres? Garden waste was either burnt or just left to decompose in piles. Or dug into the ground.

A bag of brambles isn't an environment catastrophe - the planet is perfectly capable of dealing with waste vegetative material because it is entirely natural, decomposes readily, and becomes food for other plants and animals.

Hardly the same thing as plastic/electric waste is it?

So yeah I'm perfectly happy to say we sling the odd bag of brambles into a nearby coppice. After a few days it's pretty much gone - natural processes at work. And we regularly clear that very same coppice of crisp packets, beer cans, and other crap (which we sort and take to the recycling centre FYI :p)

Associate
thru mud and quick sand, hail storm blizzard even tripped over on the grass and the item landed opened up and yes, your pizza hit the dog doodoo.. but at least it has been delivered.

Caporegime
I'm strongly against littering. We often litter pick around the lanes here.

Most of our biodegradable house and garden waste is composted, in fact, and re-used on the garden.

I know what you're referring to. Emptying a bag of brambles from the garden into a coppice will be completely indistinguishable from vegetation that grew there naturally.

You can call that littering or fly-tipping to make a (somewhat daft) point, but what do you think happened before we had Recycling Centres? Garden waste was either burnt or just left to decompose in piles. Or dug into the ground.

A bag of brambles isn't an environment catastrophe - the planet is perfectly capable of dealing with waste vegetative material because it is entirely natural, decomposes readily, and becomes food for other plants and animals.

Hardly the same thing as plastic/electric waste is it?

So yeah I'm perfectly happy to say we sling the odd bag of brambles into a nearby coppice. After a few days it's pretty much gone - natural processes at work. And we regularly clear that very same coppice of crisp packets, beer cans, and other crap (which we sort and take to the recycling centre FYI :p)

It's fly-tipping whatever spin you put on it.

Good job on collecting the cans though, how many do you need to collect to offset the environmental impact of your latest purchase?

Soldato
We've been getting loads of issues on our estate as well, where they've left parcels inside other peoples sheds, in other peoples bins... best one left under someone elses car and of course they ran over it as they weren't expecting anything so didn't look...

This is exactly why i use the lockers, which i have conveniently at work and in the ncp carpark as well. Can simply collect it on the way leaving after work.

Caporegime
OP
It's fly-tipping whatever spin you put on it.

Good job on collecting the cans though, how many do you need to collect to offset the environmental impact of your latest purchase?
That's fine. My conscience is clear because I'm doing no harm. It's pretty off-topic to be honest. Brambles aren't manufactured by human processes, are they.

Back on topic, I do what I can to waste as little as possible. That doesn't mean I'm carbon neutral or anything like that. I'm not conflating those two issues as you seem intent on doing.

I find it odd that people are so happy to endorse practices which promote wastefulness.

Nobody wins when we stop caring about wastage. Nobody gains anything from being wasteful.

You don't save money, because the more wasteful we are, most likely the more money we have to pay to offset it. You think retailers and manufacturers won't price in losses due to deliveries that were damaged or stolen? If those things happen with greater regularity, the cost of business will increase, and therefore the cost of your goods will increase.

You can waste as much as you want, but it will eventually hit you in the pocket, even if you never realise it.

Back
Top Bottom