Dell 13z thread

Man of Honour
OP
Looking at various Youtube videos it looks like switching GPU is as easy as pressing one button and waiting 2 seconds and the guy playing HL2, looked super smooth too.

I think it is as thin looking as my 13z but isn't completely brushed aluminium as the pics might suggest, it's aluminium "look" and the keyboard looks like it flexes a bit (the 13z does not flex at all).

I'd have to get used to those things in favour of the immense battery life I guess.

But I'm still not sure lol, I really really like the 13z's touchpad and mouse buttons, they are soft press not clicky like on all non Dell laptopsand I really like that.

Well if the 13z doesn't sell at my desired price then I'll just keep it and get the 8cell battery later on I guess and make dow ith it being a bit thicker at the rear :S

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;15631246 said:
Just placed an order for the 13z, reading this I like the sound of the Asus. Antony know when it will be released in the uk?

no i want to know that too, and the price of the asus

think im going to go for the asus over the 13z

Associate
nice one, can you only Get red or black?

it has theese offers

"SPECIAL OFFERS V
Get Free Shipping Valid Until 02/12/2009
Save £102 (Inc Vat) until 02/12/2009"

do you think they will have similer offers in january?

Looks like that offer is on until the 6th. Free delivery and £90 off.

Associate
Right guys, you are causing me grief!! (But happy grief!)

I have spent the past week trawling through websites left, right and centre, and too much on Overclockers. Thought I was set on either a HP Mini 311 or Acer 5739G, but this class of laptop looks perfect!

Decent enough for light gaming, amazing battery life, and good processor!

Whats the status quo? Any word on that Asus being released, or is the 13z with the Nvidia chip brilliant? I want to do all the usual word processing, programming, HD video watching and some light gaming, mainly the old greats and maybe Supreme Commander 2 and SW: The Old republic in the future (do most of my gaming on 360).

Is this recommended? I am so happy I rad this thread, these things seem the perfect balance between the HP Mini and Acer 5739G!!

Man of Honour
OP
Well having had the 311c I can safely say the 13z wipes the floor with everywhere except 3d gaming where the ION pulls ahead but then again the ION isn't going to play games on high anyway :p

I have now sold my 13z though, got what I paid for it almost so not a great loss so can await the release of the Asus UL30VT which my eyes are dead set on.

10 hours battery life....!

Associate
"I'm 99.99% sure this will not leave my grips any time soon"??!! Haha!!

Is that nearly as good as the HP Mini with the Intel integrated graphics? I will be getting the more expensive model if I do get one, with the g102m. Surely thats much better?

Any due date or price on that Asus? Might just get the Dell

Man of Honour
OP
It's just highly unlikely that a higher capacity battery will ever come out for the Dells that doesn't stick out - I realised I could not live with it sticking out since the 13z is so slim and nice - shame really as that's ultimately the only thing!

I got a +1 leraning experince in owning a 13" notebook thoguh :D they're great slim pieces of kit and much nicer to use than the 11.6" netbooks due to the screen size being so easy to sit back and read on.

Associate
Would you recommend it though Mrk? Did you test out any games on it? I would be getting the top end spec one though, but comments on the g105m aren't great

Associate
I agree about the battery but I thought with the £90 saving and the better battery I could always change the battery to the lower profile one and sell the 8 cell one.

Man of Honour
OP
If 4 hours battery is good for you with the stock battery then I would 100% recommend it as it's one of the best laptops I have ever used, slim, light, has a DVDRW drive and is pretty powerful too.

I didn't play any modern games on it, just emulators and watched HD content, I never really wanted it for games anyway! You don't need Flash 10.1 on the 13z due to the Core2Duo coping just fine playing youtube/iPlayer HD and due to the bugs in Flash 10.1 Beta2 I just went back to the 10.0 official version with no issues.

PS Either its you with a different username or someone has plagiarised your review!

That's me using my name instead of initials :p

Associate
I am stuck now, have had another thought about the frankly vast price difference between this and the Mini 311, and my uses for it.

Uni work (internet, word processing, Matlab) and travelling basically, with some older games on the go. May be time to stop being silly and go for the cheaper option.

What did you think of the Mini 311 Mrk?

Back
Top Bottom