Dell 2209WA or Samsung SM2443BW

Soldato
So, I find my self sitting between the Dell U2410 and the HP LP2475w. A nice place to be. I'm leaning towards the Dell as it looks nicer, and has gamer mode.

Come on folks, help me spend the most I've ever spent on a single PC item

Too close to call for me both are excellent monitors.

I've ordered and setup the HP for a friend and it's truly a superb monitor. It aesthetically looks the part, simple lines with a solid, sturdy appearance - and the screen is easily comparable to that of the DELL (The 22" i haven't viewed the 24").

Having said that, if i had to choose between the two i would still plumb for the DELL; purely on the grounds of their after sales service and premium pixel guarantee - just for the peace of mind. (If HP has the same level of after sale service – I would probably toss a coin or pick out the extra features that would benefit me, personally.)

Which ever monitor you end up with you'll be very happy - both are leaders in this class.

Soldato
I completely agree with Plec's assessment, both are fantastic monitors and I would be extremely happy with either - but due to Dells awesome warranty that would be the one i'd pick.

Associate
OP
Just reading this article and was slightly concerned about this comment on the U2410:

"The screen isn't far from being perfect, but it does have an input lag, a delay compared to a CRT-based monitor, of two frames. Don't worry, though, it's hardly problematic. As long as you don't plan on playing a lot of FPS games like Unreal or Quake online, then you won't notice it."

I do play FPS online - is this bad news? I don't know if the test was done using Gamer mode or not...

Associate
OP
If you're primarily gaming, have you considered the Samsung SM2233RZ?
I've looked at that too, and was tempted, but I have this nagging feeling that the 120Hz bit will be the only outstanding feature, and 22" is still possibly a bit small. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Soldato
Just reading this article and was slightly concerned about this comment on the U2410:

"The screen isn't far from being perfect, but it does have an input lag, a delay compared to a CRT-based monitor, of two frames. Don't worry, though, it's hardly problematic. As long as you don't plan on playing a lot of FPS games like Unreal or Quake online, then you won't notice it."

I do play FPS online - is this bad news? I don't know if the test was done using Gamer mode or not...

Reading the above quote I can understand your hesitation but I've just glanced at the article in question and the writer contradicts himself with the above paragraph as the preceding paragraph in the same article states:

This is a monitor responsive enough for any gamer, and even rivals the best 2 ms TN screens. Only screens that run at 120 Hz can do better. As a result, the U2410 is at home with any kind of game.

The above statement seems to endorse it as an out and out gaming monitor (which, i wouldn't, even though i highly recommend the monitor as i feel the statement is too bold/definitive - for something that is very subjective) – so it could be that the reviewer was just trying to fill copy with 'stats/figures' with the following contradicting paragraph. Either way, he creates an ambiguous block of text but i got the 'overall impression' that the reviewer thought the monitor was a very capable gaming monitor.

I tend to read a lot of reviews and then take the general overriding consensus. If one review has a statement that doesn’t marry up to the others I will usually pass it off as an anomaly of the reviewer rather than the HW itself.

EDIT: If you read forum reviews of most monitors nearly all will have their detractors when it comes to noticeable lag – even so called ‘gaming monitors’. I'm afraid it's the one gamble you have to take as, unfortunately, the issue is very subjective and relative to your last screen.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Plec. I see in another thread a few comments about colour tints and dead pixels - is the U2410 a bit of a lottery? If I spend £450.00 on a screen, my wife will take some convincing - if it's got colour issues yours truly will be one big fat pillock in her eyes!

Soldato
I see in another thread a few comments about colour tints and dead pixels - is the U2410 a bit of a lottery?

Well this is the where the DELL customer service kicks in, coupled with the premium pixel guarantee.

It's obviously not an ideal if you receive a duff monitor but it's even less of an ideal if you're stuck with it for a long time due to crappy customer service or returns policy (I must stress that i don't know about HP's policy - i'm only highlighting the benefits of DELL's.)

I can only comment on my own experiences and DELL have been great - 24hr turn around and never left without a working monitor.

A guy in one thread had approx 5 brand new monitors delivered until he was entirely happy - DELL, apparently, did not bat an eyelid. He had a slight buzzing issue on one and a dead pixel on others, IIRC (This was a 2209WA). Again this isn't ideal but there is no denying the great customer service - and the relatively stress free returns policy (faulty one picked up from your door with the replacement being dropped off.)

The point i'm trying to make - in a very convoluted way - is that there is always going to be an element of risk in receiving a faulty monitor, no matter which brand you opt for. But the real risk is how easily and effectively the monitor company goes about correcting that fault.

I will stress again that either monitor is superb. I think you’re hoping that one will shine more than the other to make your decision easier – unfortunately that’s not going to happen as they’re both equally stunning. ;)

The decision making process gets tougher with the more money you spend…

Last edited:
Soldato
My thoughts exactly. Personally, I received a Dell 2709W with a single bright pink pixel, this can happen with any monitor, LG, samsung, Dell, HP -but its all to do with what the company does about it.

I called up dell and told them about the problem, my brand-new-in-box monitor was on my doorstep at 11am the next day. In a word - Fantastic.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reassuring comments, I hadn't looked at it from this angle, but you're quite correct - if you have a stonking warranty, what's the problem? I could buy the Samsung and have a faulty unit, but be more stuffed as far as customer service goes (don't know about Samsung in this respect - just an example).

In contrast to the thread title, I'm now between the U2410 and the 2209WA, the HP isn't in the equation, as I prefer the Dell looks-wise.

Hmmm - I'll have a think. I love buying stuff but do go through the mill in the process!

Soldato
I am using the HP and it looks very nice in person actually(be warned it's pretty damn big so make sure your desk has a lot of space) though i had a really hard time picking between the two and it just came down to me seeing more reviews about it compared to the Dell which back then had like two reviews i believe.

As stated you will be completely happy with either as their image quality is superb but any IPS panel is really good to be honest.(1920x1200 resolution is lovely to play at too and if you buying a DX11 card you will want that resolution.)

I've had zero issues in games and films look incredibly good so i am extremely happy with mine.:)

Associate
OP
I am using the HP and it looks very nice in person actually(be warned it's pretty damn big so make sure your desk has a lot of space) though i had a really hard time picking between the two and it just came down to me seeing more reviews about it compared to the Dell which back then had like two reviews i believe.

As stated you will be completely happy with either as their image quality is superb but any IPS panel is really good to be honest.(1920x1200 resolution is lovely to play at too and if you buying a DX11 card you will want that resolution.)

I've had zero issues in games and films look incredibly good so i am extremely happy with mine.:)
If I do buy one it will sit in an alcove in a cabinet with 2" to spare either side, just hope that it's not too overpowering from about two feet away... Any comments about viewing from this distance would be welcome!

Associate
I got my 2209WA from OcUK this morning, I mainly use PC for gaming and I'm loving it. :) The e-IPS panel is so much better than TN.
My Dad wants a new monitor so I took it round his, hooked it up, and within 1 minute he'd asked me to order one for him!
A 24" would be nice but I plan to go for a tri monitor set up with a 5870 (when they get the displayport thing sorted) and don't have enough room on my desk or money for 3x 24". :(
But I recommend the 2209WA.

Associate
OP
I got my 2209WA from OcUK this morning, I mainly use PC for gaming and I'm loving it. :) The e-IPS panel is so much better than TN.
My Dad wants a new monitor so I took it round his, hooked it up, and within 1 minute he'd asked me to order one for him!
A 24" would be nice but I plan to go for a tri monitor set up with a 5870 (when they get the displayport thing sorted) and don't have enough room on my desk or money for 3x 24". :(
But I recommend the 2209WA.
Thanks for your recommendation, I'm swaying towards the 2209WA again, looking at the issues some are having with the U2410. I can't justify £440.00 and it not be perfect!

Soldato
Ooooh, the U2410 is on This Week Only...

I'm swaying towards the 2209WA again, looking at the issues some are having with the U2410. I can't justify £440.00 and it not be perfect!

Hehe - your brain must be buzzing with different reviews, forum comments and price comparisons.

As you've now whittled it down to just the 2209WA and the U2410 i'm going to add another 2 cents worth just in case it helps in anyway with your decision making process – as you seem to struggling (which is understandable).

At ~£190 the 2209WA is a steal, a bargain, a guaranteed box of hardware joy for a relatively small outlay. And at ~£380 for a dual monitor setup you’re in multitasking heaven – *if* you have a need for this kind of setup.

If you buy the 2209WA you will ‘probably’ have very little stress associated with the purchase as you have the money and the monitor is on its second revision – which rules out some of your imperfect screen concerns regarding the U2410.

The U2410 is twice the budget you set yourself, it will require borrowing at a cost of 10% making the total cost of the monitor £440 plus the interest on the percentage of £440 you intend to borrow(?). This in itself is not a problem, if it’s affordable for you, but from your posts I get the feeling it’s a stretch and as a result is making the thought of receiving a faulty monitor unbearable, even though the remedy should be fairly straight forward – as it’s a DELL.

Basically, the 2209WA is an A01 revision and as a result has most, if not all, its potential faults ironed out. Plus, if you were to receive a faulty screen the rma process will be straight forward as you would be highly unlikely to receive a second faulty screen. And the whole process will feel far less stressful as you will not have stretched yourself financially so you won’t have that added sickening feeling of making the wrong decision. (Plus, you have the luxury of considering a second monitor if the first one impresses you.)

That said, the U2410 is a superb monitor and people will, generally, only post when they have problems. If you were able to compare the amount of units sold to the amount that are experiencing problems I suspect the ratio is about average for a newly released piece of HW on it’s first revision.

I would go into a shop and try to look at 'any' brand of 22” and a 24” monitor side by side – and if you come to the conclusion that the 22” is an acceptable size I would seriously consider the 2209WA, just for the added peace of mind and the fiscal benefits to your pocket.

Good luck and obviously let us know what you decide and the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom