Dell 2209WA or Samsung SM2443BW

Associate
OP
You're not kidding, I swear I had a monitor-related dream last night. I appreciate the info on the 2209WA being rev. A01, I don't like 1st revisions of anything. Which brings me on to the U2410. Reading the other big post on this monitor, I'm avoiding it at the moment, just too much of a worry for that money.

It sounds a bit "Blue Peter", but I'm going to cut some paper to the size of the 2209WA and 2443BW's screens, and sellotape them over my 19", and see what looks like an upgrade in terms of size, and make my mind up from that.

By the way - if any 2209WA users can measure the actual monitor bit (including bezel) and post the dimensions I'd be very grateful. Samsung do it for the 2443BW, but not Dell.

Many thanks!

Soldato
By the way - if any 2209WA users can measure the actual monitor bit (including bezel) and post the dimensions I'd be very grateful. Samsung do it for the 2443BW, but not Dell.

Width 51cm, Height 33.2cm (measurements of screen including bezel)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm upgrading my dual Iiyama 19" monitors. I was think about a single 27 or 30" IPS screen, but for the price the Dell 2209WA (with its e-IPS panel) seems unbeatable - especially with Dell's pixel guarantee.

One of my IIyama's had a dead pixel from day one - and they wouldn't relpace it! Really annoying, but there you are.

I edit video and use Lightroom and Photoshop for editing photos - so I think I'll buy two of these to work as a pair, and save a lot of cash (about £900) in the process... Great stuff.

Associate
Dell just seem to get things very right when it comes to monitors. I've owned both Samsung and Dell TFT monitors recently, bot hare great, but the Dell is noticeably less harsh in terms of colour quality and is generally more solid in construction.

Associate
2209wa all the way.... the extra for the U2410 could get you 2 x SSD's.... :)

I doubt £40 could get you 2 SSD's especially as the cheapest one OcUK sell is £92.

Personally it depends on the amount of real-estate you are after given a choice like this.

Soldato
Would someone please confirm the width and height of the screen itself (exc bezel). 50mm x 27mm I think...

Thanks

47.5cm x 29.7cm (approx without bezel)

I doubt £40 could get you 2 SSD's especially as the cheapest one OcUK sell is £92.

He's only looking for 'one' monitor in either flavour - so he would save ~£250 if he didn't buy the U2410. (i threw 2 x 2209WA into the mix as an example - which is probably what you were doing your sums on.)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
is that decision made?:D
It just made things worse, I drew the outline of the 2209WA inside the SM2443BW, and didn't think the 22" gave me enough of a screen real estate upgrade over my current 19", especially when taking the extra resolution of the 24" panel into account. I know the 2209WA is a better monitor, but the SM2443BW is also nice, and is the size I want. If the U2410 was a new revision without all this pink tinting malarkey, I'd have one of them on buy now pay in six months, but it isn't. And the SM2443BW is out of stock on OCUK :(

Soldato
It just made things worse...

I know the 2209WA is a better monitor, but the SM2443BW is also nice, and is the size I want.

Hehe, you’ve come full circle…

Ok, let’s try and look at this in favour of the TN panel (and put my love for the DELL to one side) because if we list the benefits of the Samsung it *may* help you to make a decision. (if not then I’m afraid we’re going to have to take you round the back and shoot you for crimes against indecision ;))

• Reason for upgrade - more space needed for desktop usage, and to enhance my gaming experience.
  • Viewing angles not an issue, the monitor will be located in a recessed area, and will only ever be viewed straight on.
  • Usage will be gaming - fast FPS mainly, and email / browsing. I enjoy photography, and do a bit of graphics / photo editing on occasion. A bit of iPlayer is likely too.
  • Interfaces not an issue, happy with DVI, anything extra is a bonus.

If you intend on primarily using the monitor for gaming, with a little apps use on the side (i.e. no intensive use with coding, WORD, photoshop - day in day out etc…) then the Samsung would fulfil this criteria handsomely.

For gaming purposes you will enjoy the extra 2 inches and with a 5ms response time you will ‘probably’ have zero complaints of possible ghosting (note the 'probably' - i have no idea other than reading personal comments but there are lots that support this). Plus, as you’ve never viewed an e-IPS panel in the flesh you won’t miss what you haven’t experienced first hand (the outer shell also happens to physically look similar to the DELL – although I doubt this is coincidence.).

Which one folks? I'm upgrading from a three year old 19" Viewsonic VX922, which in one aspect is still very impressive, namely low lag with 75Hz refresh.

The SM2443BW will probably be similar to your Viewsonic in picture quality, as the Viewsonic is a good screen, but that isn’t a bad thing as you’ve expressed how pleased you are with the quality of your present monitor. Your only real concern is that you *feel* you may be missing out on better picture experience – but if you’re happy with what you’ve got now and not witnessed an alternative then I suspect you’ll be more than happy with the SM2443BW.

So what do you reckon, any closer to making a decision or do I need to start cocking my gun of indecision?.. :D

Additional: There's always 3rd option and that is wait for the next revision of the DELL U2410 - as i get the feeling you could cope for a few more months with your present monitor. You could save in the interim and pay the full whack when it's on its second revision?

Associate
OP
Plec, you're putting in a lot of effort with your replies, it's much appreciated, helping me with my girly-indecision!

You sum things up very well. Apart from some Apple displays in shops I have never seen better than TN panels to my knowledge. Therefore you're right, in theory, the Samsung should be fine, and probably better than my Viewsonic as I do see banding on graduated colours, user reviews I've read of the Samsung say it's good in this respect.

However, I do actually have more concerns about the Samsung than the Dell (get your gun ready):

1. I hear reports of buzzing at less than 100% brightness
2. It's not as fast as my Viewsonic, looking at a similar panel (T240HD) on Digitalversus.com, the 2209WA is damn close...
3. It's TN.
4. Dead pixel warranty isn't as good as the Dell.
5. Gaming performance at 1920x1200 - I will update my 1Gb 4870, but not until next year, and I do love a late night frag fest...

I think the frustrating lack of proper reviews of the SM2443BW have not helped one bit. I'm assuming the T240 and SM2433BW use the same panel and have based my opinion partly on that fact and related reviews.

See? I nearly talked myself into the Dell there...

Where my concerns about the Dell are:

It's 22".

Christ, I've bought cars so much easier than this...

Pass me that blindfold, I'll see you out back!

Associate
Know how you're feeling as I'm in a similar situation of moving from a 19" CRT and have a lot of the same worries of whether 22" will be big enough jump in size, or whether the extra quality of the Dell is worth forking out for (as there's a feeling that there will be some disappointment moving from a CRTs excellent display to a TN TFT).

And of course the problem with 24" is that it means you really need to keep a top of line graphics card to run at such high resolution which is going to end up costing even more.

Soldato
However, I do actually have more concerns about the Samsung than the Dell (get your gun ready):

Taking each pout in turn:

1. I hear reports of buzzing at less than 100% brightness

Unfortunately, if you read enough user reviews/forums you’ll find that nearly all monitors can suffer from this – the canny part is confirming whether the manufacturer will swap a unit with this type of fault. I can confirm that DELL do, the disconcerting part for you is, that I know this gem of information because the early revisions of the 2209WA also suffered from this – however neither of mine have or do (A01 revisions.)

2. It's not as fast as my Viewsonic, looking at a similar panel (T240HD) on Digitalversus.com, the 2209WA is damn close...

I can’t comment on this as it’s too subjective – and actually impossible to critique if you don’t know the panel in question (other than comparing official specs - which are sometimes ambiguous when comparing older technologies to new).

3. It's TN.

If budget dictates: there is nothing wrong with a quality, well constructed/configured TN panel. Especially, if your primary use is gaming and light apps use, and you will be sitting face onto the screen and that you buy the best size/quality ratio for your budget. (a poorly constructed sentence but you get the gist, hopefuly.)

4. Dead pixel warranty isn't as good as the Dell.

That is disconcerting – and, unfortunately, will only prove otherwise if you’re fortunate enough to receive a pixel perfect screen

5. Gaming performance at 1920x1200 - I will update my 1Gb 4870, but not until next year, and I do love a late night frag fest...

This is nothing to worry about as it’s far better that you get the best quality sized screen that you need and can afford and just scale down the resolution 'if necessary' until you get a new gfx card. (Although I suspect 1Gb 4870 will cope admirably on a 1920 x 1200 screen for the most part.)

I think the frustrating lack of proper reviews of the SM2443BW have not helped one bit. I'm assuming the T240 and SM2433BW use the same panel and have based my opinion partly on that fact and related reviews.

See? I nearly talked myself into the Dell there...

I ‘presume’ the same as the panel spec is identical (confirmation from Samsung would probably allay some of your fears on this front) – and us such gaming should not be an issue as the screen is highly regarded as a gaming TN panel. (cmndr_andi may be able to help you out on this as he's a fountain of knowledge when it comes to computer components/reviews)

Where my concerns about the Dell are:

It's 22".

Well, as mentioned before, I can understand your reluctance on this front as the jump from a 19” 4:3 monitor to a 22” 16:10 monitor isn’t that big and the fact it keeps cropping up as the only major factor stopping you from buying the DELL may be definitive(?)

I suspect if you were guaranteed a 100% pixel perfect SM2433BW with zero buzzing you would be filling in your CC details into the respective e-tailers website as soon as you had the confirmation of such a deal? (If this is the case then I would heavily research Samsungs returns policy and tolerances for certain faults – as if they fulfil most of your criteria you may have found your monitor.)

Pass me that blindfold, I'll see you out back!

Any last requests? (apart from a perfectly functioning SM2433BW.) ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I gotta say, Plec, your analysis is dead on. Next time I need to chose a car, I'm coming to you :D

To Credo, I see your conundrum, very much size/res vs panel quality/warranty. As I have stated before, I believe the dell is the best pick. Not only because of the reasons listed above, but simply looking at it what you turn on the computer gives you a warm feeling inside, knowing you have the best possible monitor you could get.

Personally, when I was looking for a £200 monitor, this review effectively sold me the Dell 2209WA (a quote from the review is "As my good friend Free Radical said, Full HD on TN is an oxymoron for the elite and elite for the morons"). I suggest you give it a good read as it is very well written and detailed. If after reading it you still want a 24in monitor, then you must get the Samsung -as nothing else will swing you towards the dell. (However, if you are interested this review is interesting)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Plec, as I said before, your replies are 1st class, so much thought put into someone else's conundrum. much appreciated. You're quite right in your analysis of my on-going conundrum.

cmndr_andi - those reviews - particularly the first one - are excellent, and have really given me an insight into the un-measurable aspect of picture quality which is the Dell's ace card. This may well have persuaded me...

I think half the issue here is that the monitor market is in a state of flux, with 120Hz models and LED backlighting appearing, making decisions ever harder to make, and then you have stunner's like the U2410 that suddenly seem to have issues with pink tints etc. Nightmare.

I will retreat to my corner and ponder, you've both made a big effort to help me and it's much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom