Dell 2209WA or Samsung SM2443BW

Soldato
Minor update. I've plugged it in to a slightly less cack Dell desktop, and that picked up the resolution fine. Wow! What a lot of space, I'm actually surprised how much real estate over my 19" work monitor this screen has. Only connected through VGA, but lovely display, no dead pixels (using pure blue screen to test) and very uniform so far. I guess I've not tested well for stuck pixels (at least blue ones -if indeed one does have blue pixels?).

PHEW!

First hurdle out the way'ish - you will need to rotate through all the colours to be sure.

So, that just leaves the ourageously bad ghosting and terrible colour bleeding to overcome now ;).

Soldato
Credo, tonight was not the night to find something more interesting to do other than test your newly aquired monitor! ;)

Unless, of course, you're being discretely diplomatic in which case andi and i will 'assume the position'...

Associate
OP
No position assumption required, you'll be glad to know!

I sit typing here on my new 2209WA, having just played at bit of UT3, viewed some photo's, etc, and I'm well impressed. UT3 particularly looks great, the blacks are, well, black! The game looks very punchy and almost 3D, brilliant stuff.

Playing a fast FPS on a larger display made me a bit giddy actually, more going on across a wider field of view I suppose!

Photo's look ace, and as I own a DSLR and have about 45,000 pictures on my HDD, maybe this monitor was a no brainer from the start! Again, the deep blacks and natural colours do stand out immediately.

The extra space over the 19" is, as I said before, more than I expected, I can now have the preview pane on in Outlook, and in Windows explorer.

I haven't got round to using that pixel tester, but I can't see any, and that's enough for me!

I can't thank enough those who helped me in making this choice, particularly Plec and cmndr_andi, your effort and assistance has been brilliant, I hope I can return the favour in some gem of advice in the future!

I'm off to explore more quality visuals, nite all... :D

Associate
OP
One more significant comment - coming from a Viewsonic VX922, which up until the 120Hz panels we have now was (probably) the fasted LCD screen in terms of refresh (75Hz) and input lag, I can't see any difference on the 2209WA. I'm pretty decent on UT3 (just got my bum kicked, but I'm tired), and it looks and plays great. Any gamers worrying about response / lag can rest assured, this monitor is more than adequate.

Associate
Got mine this morning, not tested it much yet but so far it seems nice.

I've been trying to set my monitor to 75hz, I'm on a 8800GTX with Win7 x64 Nvidia Drivers (Latest I think). I basically set it to 75hz and it said the test was successful, would you like to save this custom resolution, I then save it but then the driver interface reports it as 58hz, the monitor's control panel also reports 1680x1050 @ 58hz.

Is it meant to be like this?

Associate
I'm very much drawn towards the Dell, it seems to have low input lag and that high quality panel. My only concern is, will I sit in front of it and think "damn, should have gone for a 24"..."?

Credo, now you've had it a while, any regrets on not getting a 24" ?

Associate
OP
Good question. I'm actually pretty happy with 22", it gave me more space than I expected, holding up various sized pieces of cardboard in front of my 19" did not help that much. It's only when I saw my desktop at 1680 x 1050 that I was pleasantly surprised. I do think that if I'd gone for a 22" TN, I'd be wanting a 24", but the 2209WA is such a good all round monitor, with e-IPS panel and top notch build and stand, a few less pixels and 2 inches is a good trade off for the price!

Soldato
Well it was yours :D

Thanks for the update, and the thread, much appreciated.
Dell 2209WA added to basket :)

Remember going from a 22 inch IPS panel to a 24 inch version is quite a big leap cash wise....like a 2209WA to a HP LP2475w/U2410 is £230 or so which is quite a lot of money for some people.(the only real differences you will see is the resolution being slightly more and more connections since the 2209WA has superb image quality it probably is as good as the two mentioned aswell as all three having great input lag for gaming)

I went from a 19 inch CRT to a HP LP2475w, it was a huge difference in the amount of screen space but even a 2209WA would have been too but besides you could buy one of them with a Radeon 5850 now for less than £400 that's a damn good combo rather than buying a 24 inch model.

Caporegime
[Originally Posted by Eagleburger]
Would someone please confirm the width and height of the screen itself (exc bezel).

47.5cm x 29.7cm (approx without bezel)

Argh! That's pretty much a deal-breaker for me. My current screen is a 20" Philips 200W6CS S-IPS, and the (just measured) vertical panel size is 27.2cm.

Extra width is nice and all, but if I'm up-sizing I need some extra height too :p So I guess from 20" the real upgrade is straight to 24".

Now if only I could find an IPS panel 24" < £400!

THe other deal-breaker I think for someone already owning a 20" screen is the lack of a jump in resolution. 1680x1050 is fine for windows and games, but a real upgrade would be to 1080p capability.

Guess I better start saving again....

Back
Top Bottom