Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Even if they fix the coating on this, can it ever really come close to competing with IPS in terms of colours? I've read many contradictory comments about the original Swift, with some people saying they didn't notice much between it and an IPS panel, while others hated it.

I immediately returned an AOC G2460PG not long ago, which I bought as a second monitor for gaming, but i just couldn't deal with it side by side with my Samsung PLS... even though the 144Hz/1ms was very nice.

Soldato
Even if they fix the coating on this, can it ever really come close to competing with IPS in terms of colours? I've read many contradictory comments about the original Swift, with some people saying they didn't notice much between it and an IPS panel, while others hated it.

I immediately returned an AOC G2460PG not long ago, which I bought as a second monitor for gaming, but i just couldn't deal with it side by side with my Samsung PLS... even though the 144Hz/1ms was very nice.

It's just a very subjective thing really. Some people just don't have the same 'eye for colour' as others or simply aren't bothered by some things that really annoy other people. I think the assessment in my review of the PG278Q is the most balanced and complete I've seen when it comes to how your eyes perceive colours vs. the misleading figures a colorimeter will pump out. Many people are all too keen to consider and quote the latter without appreciating that our eyes and colorimeters are very different things. :p

Caporegime
Yeah it is odd, I've never seen so many different opinions on the benq/asus 27" 144HZ TN panels compared to IPS, you either get people saying, the difference is very minor or the difference is huge with IPS looking superior..... :/ There does seem to be more people saying that the differences are minor than those who say the difference is massive though.

If that benq 27" was to drop to £380, I might pull the trigger but coming from a 29um65, I just can't help but feel that I will be one of those people that will largely prefer IPS for overall image quality (ignoring 21.9/16.9, 144HZ freesync).... I don't really care for 100% "accurate" colours as long as the colours look nice "overall" with good blacks/detail in dark areas then I am happy but I think the contrast shift + heavier anti-glare finish making the screen not "pop" as much might annoy me....

Soldato
I don't really care for 100% "accurate" colours as long as the colours look nice "overall" with good blacks/detail in dark areas then I am happy but I think the contrast shift + heavier anti-glare finish making the screen not "pop" as much might annoy me....

I'm the same, the 'pop' of IPS is what pulls me in and where TN just can't compete. Always looks washed out to me, no matter how much I tinker with the colour/contrast settings, and the colour shift even looking at it straight on is usually very obvious. Whites look yellow in comparison to IPS and the blacks very grey. The AG coating only makes all this worse of course. I'd love to hope the Dell will do a better job, but being TN I doubt it will ever be able to compete with IPS in the areas that are important to me.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pretty happy with my 4K TN, colours have never bothered me even running alongside Dell IPS.

I may well go for this if the price is right.

Associate
I'm ordering one of these monitors now, directly from Dell - they quoted me £779

after speaking to them they did it for £608, and will be with me by the end of next week.

Soldato
I'm the same, the 'pop' of IPS is what pulls me in and where TN just can't compete. Always looks washed out to me, no matter how much I tinker with the colour/contrast settings, and the colour shift even looking at it straight on is usually very obvious. Whites look yellow in comparison to IPS and the blacks very grey. The AG coating only makes all this worse of course. I'd love to hope the Dell will do a better job, but being TN I doubt it will ever be able to compete with IPS in the areas that are important to me.

I absolutely notice when using a TN screen. I'm sure there are some excellent TN panels but I think those who say it is close either don't use an IPS panel much or are comparing to a poorly calibrated panel.

I just can't bring myself to go back, i'm IPS, PLS, or VA from now on.

Associate
I absolutely notice when using a TN screen. I'm sure there are some excellent TN panels but I think those who say it is close either don't use an IPS panel much or are comparing to a poorly calibrated panel.

I just can't bring myself to go back, i'm IPS, PLS, or VA from now on.

When I get this screen I will compare it side by side with my u2410 that I have used for photo editing for years

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with my 4K TN, colours have never bothered me even running alongside Dell IPS.

Either there is something magical about that 4K TN panel, the IPS is calibrated appallingly, or your eyesight isn't what it should be, because I do not believe anyone with fully functional vision couldn't see the very obvious difference between TN and IPS... it's night vs day. Whether this bothers you or not is another matter and entirely subjective however.

Soldato
I'm ordering one of these monitors now, directly from Dell - they quoted me £779

after speaking to them they did it for £608, and will be with me by the end of next week.

Yes, please post back with your thoughts when you fire it up. Very interested to know how this performs, and if Dell have pulled something out the hat here, or if it's just a Swift with Dell branding and nothing more.

Associate
Either there is something magical about that 4K TN panel, the IPS is calibrated appallingly, or your eyesight isn't what it should be, because I do not believe anyone with fully functional vision couldn't see the very obvious difference between TN and IPS... it's night vs day. Whether this bothers you or not is another matter and entirely subjective however.

I was discussing it at ASUS, and we came to the conclusion that modern TN panels are far, far better than they used to be and that viewing angles aside they could be more than good enough.

I'm not claiming that they're colour-perfect or anything like that, but simply that I've never once thought about it. Right now, for my usage scenario, nothing would compel me to buy an IPS over a TN, especially given the issues that people have had with IPS panels and glow.

Soldato
I was discussing it at ASUS, and we came to the conclusion that modern TN panels are far, far better than they used to be and that viewing angles aside they could be more than good enough.

I'm not claiming that they're colour-perfect or anything like that, but simply that I've never once thought about it. Right now, for my usage scenario, nothing would compel me to buy an IPS over a TN, especially given the issues that people have had with IPS panels and glow.

There are a couple of current IPS panels which really let the team down. I've had IPS for years, and it's never been this bad tbh. Not sure what's going on there, but something needs to change in the production process and/or a new panel needs to be developed for things to improve. I suspect we won't see this until DP 1.3 takes a foot hold. Until then, we have just ONE 16:9 and ONE 21:9 high refresh 1440p panel to choose from, which features in a range of so called "premium" monitors.

I bought an AOC G2460PG recently, one of the better TN's around supposedly, and returned it the next day. The difference side by side with my Samsung PLS was shocking. Everything was washed out, whites were yellow and blacks were pale grey. In dark games especially, it was unbearable. No amount of calibration would fix that.

If IPS can get its act together and manufacturer's can produce a a high refresh panel free from BLB and glow (not difficult if they use a polarizer), and at an affordable price, then it will bury TN in the dirt where it belongs.

Back
Top Bottom