Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
Would really like to see a side by side with an IPS display, once the Dell has been calibrated and vibrancy increased, just to see how it compares. Out the box I know it won't look so hot, but I have seen some people say you can get it very close with some tweaking.

Soldato
Would really like to see a side by side with an IPS display, once the Dell has been calibrated and vibrancy increased, just to see how it compares. Out the box I know it won't look so hot, but I have seen some people say you can get it very close with some tweaking.

It isn't really something you can accurately represent by taking photographs. Following the compensation and processing done by the camera and the output being shown on a completely different monitor (i.e. your own) such a comparison is of limited value. Furthermore, the significant viewing angle related drawbacks (i.e. weakening saturation further down the screen) that are visible from a normal viewing position on a TN model are not captured from a camera shot showing two 27" monitors side by side. That's also something no amount of 'tweaking' will change.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What is your opinion then pcm2 i.e. if you had this dell, swift or the benq side by side with a good 27" 1440 IPS... Would you say the difference between the 2 is noticeable for all types of content i.e. which would look better for bright scenarios and dark scenarios i.e. alien isolation, batman games in terms of head on viewing.

Soldato
What is your opinion then pcm2 i.e. if you had this dell, swift or the benq side by side with a good 27" 1440 IPS... Would you say the difference between the 2 is noticeable for all types of content i.e. which would look better for bright scenarios and dark scenarios i.e. alien isolation, batman games in terms of head on viewing.

I'd recommend reading my review of the ASUS PG278Q as I extensively share my observations re. this sort of comparison. I will reserve judgement on some aspects of the Dell until I see it myself, but I expect the overall colour and contrast performance to be comparable to the PG278Q I reviewed. At any rate it will certainly share key characteristics related to viewing angle. If the anti-glare surface is smoother than the PG278Q as some people suggest (questionable at this stage) then that would certainly improve the general appearance of lighter shades.

Caporegime
Didn't realise you had done a review of the swift! Just finished reading those parts now so essentially it is mainly the contrast shift/viewing angles and heavy matte finish that let it down compared to the light anti-glare IPS screens. Tbh, I think the contrast shift with TN would annoy me more than the heavier anti-glare finish :(

Soldato
Didn't realise you had done a review of the swift! Just finished reading those parts now so essentially it is mainly the contrast shift/viewing angles and heavy matte finish that let it down compared to the light anti-glare IPS screens. Tbh, I think the contrast shift with TN would annoy me more than the heavier anti-glare finish :(

Yeah, it kind of got buried in search engines beneath some much briefer and less detailed reviews unfortunately. That pretty much sums it up. It's such a subjective thing really. Some people detest 'IPS glow' and suchlike so much that they will tolerate certain inconsistencies with colour and contrast on TN models. Others would find the saturation and contrast changes on TN models to be too noticeable and annoying, even when gaming. It's certainly a tricky one. :)

Caporegime
Yeah I think it is just one of those things you have to try for yourself, I could always just buy the benq and if I wasn't happy, make use of the 14 day ccr :p

My ideal monitor would be a 29-32" 21.9 2560x1080, IPS/VA 144HZ with freesync, well actually a 34" 1440P model instead but they cost too much not to mention the extra GPU power required :(

Soldato
When will the TFTcentral review of this be online? My experience of TN's are that they are not good, but I have never seen one of these "premium" 8bit 1440p TN's. Does look interesting at the price and no bleed/glow.

Back
Top Bottom