Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
Mine arrived today although was out tonight so not had chance to unbox it yet.

Couple of quick questions from someone coming from a very basic 1080p 60hz monitor.

> I am running an 17 4790k and GTX 970 SLI so most of my games won't be reaching massively high frame rates. Example is Witcher 3 which from what I've seen of similar setups will average around 55 - 65 fps at 1440p so would I still set to 120hz/144hz or is that pointless?

> Regarding Dark Souls 3....I hear this doesn't support G-sync, plus it's locked at 60fps anyway with no way of disabling vsync so what would I do here? Disable G-sync for this game or just leave it the same?

Any help would be appreciated. And, sorry I have very little knowledge of this resolution and G-sync so the answers may be fairly obvious to most.

Soldato
You would generally set it to 144hz regardless unless you want the screen in anti-blur mode. For games which run at around 60fps you would normally leave v-sync and g-sync both enabled.

However, if blur reduction is more important to you (you could argue its more important than having g-sync on) then you will need to set the screen to 120hz, and disable g-sync. You will then have an additional option in the monitors options to switch ULMB on.

I am sensitive to the strobing that this causes so i cannot use it as it gives me a headache. Bit of a bitch really as ULMB is a big deal.

Associate
Dumb question : After downloading the adding the TFT Central colour profile and following their install instructions is there anything else I must do? Turn the monitor on and off or....?

Soldato
Ah that sucks, dell should sort you out though. Heard they are are pretty good to deal with.

Well, I've just got off a 37-minute call with them where I was asked for my Dell order number (inapplicable obviously), whether the screen hinge was broken, and whether the rubber feet for the screen were intact. Basically, it took most of the call to explain that I bought the monitor from a reseller, that it didn't have a keyboard ('it's a monitor, not a laptop' wasn't clear enough apparently) and to relay my phone number about 4 times.

Interestingly I think I've also been given details of the person at OcUK who originally ordered the batch of monitors, so I'm not quite sure how this RMA is going to pan out :p :confused:

Associate
Another thumbs up for this lovely monitor :).

Profile applied and it seems so much easier on my eyes than my previous 60hz offering. Colours look uniform and very good blacks for a TN panel.

Only slight downer was the £20 price reduction the day after I ordered :eek:;)

Very happy with my purchase!

D3K

D3K

Soldato
First impressions were that the colours are more washed out than the rog. It's bluer than the rog at the recommended settings and I would say the blacks are not as strong.
Still need to tinker as it's been sat on the living room table as a console for the vive, so haven't properly used it in anger.

I didn't realise the midnight grey facia was so light. During unpacking I felt my heart dropping, but when built it's only the base you see so no worries there.

The usb ports on the left side aren't lined up with the chassis properly so I cant plug into the top one. I thought about applying pressure to snap the fitting together, but that would mean using the actual screen as support so decided against it. May have to return it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just taken delivery of one of these, and have weird and obvious display corruption in Windows when the refresh rate is above 60hz (e.g. what look like double-height pixels, making the text look chunky and all 80s, weird). Could this be down to a faulty cable? I'm using the bundled DisplayPort one.

EDIT - Super-enormous terrible photo trying to show the problem here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7o96v0fvwapb5s/2016-04-20 17.46.28.jpg?dl=0

Have you Gsync enabled in Windows? I read somewhere that in certain scenarios Windows does not like Gsync when working on general Desktop activities.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
took delivery of one of these today,would somebody like to offer an explanation as to why these are being sold in uk with euro power plugs?
They did it to me with my last monitor. But this is why the prices are so cheap. Gibbo is often talking about exchange rates and how stuff has been / or can be cheaper. Happy to offset a euro plug for a decent price drop. It's not like most folk dont have kettle leads spare. (The last monitor needed a clover lead..., not so popular)

Associate
Took delivery of one of these yesterday. Mine came with euro plug as well, no biggie though as have plenty of kettle leads and at the Friday's price I am not complaining.

Seems fine, need to play with settings to get it close to my ROG PG278Q I was using. Will try some of the profiles around here, and then get out my X-rite i1.

Wanted hdmi port so that was reason for getting this.

Associate
Will this go back to 379 anytime soon?

Currently rocking an AOC 24" Gsync 144hz screen and love it, would like some more screen space.

Associate
Took delivery of one of these yesterday. Mine came with euro plug as well, no biggie though as have plenty of kettle leads and at the Friday's price I am not complaining.

Seems fine, need to play with settings to get it close to my ROG PG278Q I was using. Will try some of the profiles around here, and then get out my X-rite i1.

Wanted hdmi port so that was reason for getting this.

Hi, I have Rog right now but I need monitor for my PS4. My Rog is excellent. Connectivity is a problem though. I have two options, buy second monitor for PS4 or sell Rog and buy this Dell instead. I would be very interested in opinions from people who switched from Rog to this one. Please guys, elaborate;)

Back
Top Bottom