DELL S2719DGF Owners Thread

Ree

Ree

Associate
OP
yeah that would definitely be helpful to others looking to buy, its as if this monitor was released completely under the radar.

Soldato
I bought mine a few days ago, and can honestly say it's worth the money. If you intend to use it with a Nvidia card, I can confirm it works fine. I've tried 10 games, and after a quick restart all work with G-Sync. I'll be uploading a video on YouTube later, with actual footage as I'm aware that there's practically nothing for the monitor available. My username is Nick Hornby.

Hope it helps. Cheers.

Look forward to your vid. :)

I am going to be using my 1070 as i think it should be up to the job from what i have read online.

Has anyone suffered from the banding issues that seems to be present on the G-Sync version?

Associate
Your video looks like you captured in-game footage using Shadowplay/OBS?

Tearing and stuttering only happen when the graphics card and monitor are out-of-sync with one another.

To see adaptive sync eliminating these problems you'd need to record footage using a video camera.

Soldato
I'm currently reviewing the S2719DGF, review will be published next week. And yes, I can confirm it works properly with Adaptive-Sync on Nvidia GPUs. Slight differences between FreeSync (the floor of operation is different) but the overall experience is similar.

Associate
I'm currently reviewing the S2719DGF, review will be published next week. And yes, I can confirm it works properly with Adaptive-Sync on Nvidia GPUs. Slight differences between FreeSync (the floor of operation is different) but the overall experience is similar.
Really appreciate your reviews. Always spot on with your analysis.

..Delivery is between 1 and 3 weeks though. :(
Direct from Dell UK? My original delivery estimate was over a month. Got notification 2 days later it had been dispatched and would arrive the next day, which it did :)

Soldato
If you've ordered from the rainforest it's the same price at la***psdirect, with next day delivery.

From the rainforest, just got email saying delivery is now between 9th and 11th Feb. :)
Next day delivery was not suitable any way, now i just got to book a day off for the 11th.

Direct from Dell UK? My original delivery estimate was over a month. Got notification 2 days later it had been dispatched and would arrive the next day, which it did :)

Would have preferred to get it from Dell but the estimated shipping date is 04/03/2019, also cost ~ £29 more.

Associate
Mine was direct from Dell@£360, est delivery was 10-12 days when i placed my ordered, but had an email later the same day saying dispatched and it came next day. I see the price has gone up now, must be selling well.

Associate
@PCM2 has posted his video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIZDA34YMs

Couple of interesting points
  • @10:10 - This model doesn't suffer from the infamous banding issue of the previous G-sync S2716DG model.
  • @17:22 - @PCM2 did you try the different inputs to see if you could measure a difference in gamma? Seen several people saying HDMI 2.0 port is the best.
  • @31 - No variable overdrive feature for adaptive sync on this monitor
  • @32:55 - G-sync compatible variable refresh window floor is higher (55Hz on NVIDIA graphics cards). @Davanius might be interested in this. Not sure if he used AMD or NVIDIA graphics.

Soldato
Good summary. The calibration section of the written review will provide more details, but HDMI and DP was calibrated very similarly on my unit and they both had gamma issues. I've also received a fair bit of user feedback on this unit suggesting the same thing. I know NCX had superior HDMI calibration, but he also noted being limited to 60Hz via HDMI for some reason, perhaps he was actually using the HDMI 1.4 port. Not sure. Either way, it seems there is a fair bit of inter-unit variation with calibration on this model. Of course it's far from alone in that respect.

And I always go to extreme lengths with monitors to try to avoid having to use an ICC profile as they're not ideal to have to rely on - this includes every conceivable setting in the OSD and testing different inputs. In this case it included fiddling with contrast and RGB offset controls for the best part of 2 hours. Unfortunately an ICC profile was required on my unit regardless.

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered the S2719DGF. Been looking for a 1440p 144hz monitor for a while now and decided to pull the trigger. Bought on Amazon, where it is currently down from £399 to £349.97 with free delivery. Arrives Thursday.

Like a few others, making the jump from 1080p so looking forward to seeing how much of a difference this makes. Recently upgraded GPU to Sapphire Nitro Vega64 so can't wait to pair it with this!

Associate
A wonderful review from PCM2 as usual. :)

I have got some thinking to do as the Dell at least has changeable overdrive settings so at lower fps you have some kind of a choice. My 27CHG70 doesn't give you the choice. It's awful at such low fps with Freesync imo during dark scenes.

The Dell doesn't eradicate the issue that Freesync monitors have with overshoot getting worse as the fps lowers to around the 60-80's range which concerns me more than the 55Hz floor with Nvidia cards.

Looks like I may have to stick with my Samsung for a while longer but I will have a really good think about this Dell.

The review has provided me with everything I need to know so I just need to take my time to make a decision.

The monitor seems fantastic though.:D

Soldato
This is the monitor I am considering along with the AOC Agon, good to read the positive comments. I can't order until next week I hope the lower price holds until then I budgeted £400 so saving £50 would be nice as I'm building a full system

Associate
Full written review by @PCM2 is up: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2719dgf/

Another great review... well, apart from the "G-sync compatible" section where he put the wrong monitor model, "XG240R" instead of "S2719DGF" :)

From the Luminance uniformity section, it does make you wonder if RTINGS have been unlucky and got a bad panel for their review. Mine looks a lot like pcmonitors.info describe although its hard to see exactly from the small image in the review.

Couple of useful nuggets of information I didn't know. The Aspect Ratio 1:1 pixel mapping function wasn't mentioned in the manual. And I completely missed the USB BC1.2 charging port. Another handy extra on this monitor!

Interesting seeing the different Gamma readings. I tried that RTS preset for the first time and it does indeed appear to improve the Gamma on the lagom test. I can't work out why Dell didn't include a "normal" preset with good Gamma when the monitor is clearly capable?!?!!

When you're sitting in front of the monitor, is it obvious you are looking at a TN panel?
Yes if you watch a film in a dark room or view from an angle. The 2nd isn't really an issue as the RTINGS review pointed out "It has disappointing viewing angles and the image is accurate only when you are sitting directly in front. However, this can be somewhat counterbalanced by the good ergonomics that allow many position adjustments." Once I adjusted the stand I can move my head around freely and the image remains very clear.

Last edited:

Ree

Ree

Associate
OP
Many gaming monitors and products more generally incorporate RGB lighting for a bit of ambience – not this one

if it had rgb for 'ambience' i wouldn't have bought it. dunno what it is about the bloody obsession with colored lights on everything nowadays as most of them are really tacky.. guess am getting old (38 lol).

Soldato
@Firejack

The first paragraph of the 'G-SYNC Compatible' section was copy & pasted from the XG240R review, forgot to change the model number. Now done, thanks for pointing out. When you click and enlarge the photo (if viewing on an actual PC) of backlight bleed it is a sufficient size to judge the uniformity. Be aware if viewing on a TN panel, as you are, your vertical head position will greatly affect how the image is perceived due to strong perceived gamma shifts. Either way, it's clear that our sample was better than the Rtings one in that respect.

But I urge users not to spend too much time analysing photos of monitors in dark rooms or checking their own. It's a great way to disappoint yourself about a monitor you may otherwise really enjoy. How often do you actually stare at a black screen in a dark room? Would you have noticed these issues if you didn't do so? If you watch films etc. in a dark room you'll probably end up disappointed with the black levels regardless of how good uniformity is. Anyway, glad to hear yours is more like our sample than the other. :)

Associate
.... Be aware if viewing on a TN panel, as you are, your vertical head position will greatly affect how the image is perceived due to strong perceived gamma shifts.
I did the comparison using a Dell IPS S2419H. Trying not to sound like a fanboy here, but that decision was down to another of your great reviews :)

Back
Top Bottom