DELL S2719DGF Owners Thread

Soldato
Thanks efish.

Will not bother with RTSS just now then as the monitor is working fine. Have tested it with the Pendulum demo and that seems ok and games that i am playing at the moment are running great.

Can't find this "dells frame rate timer" though. is this a part of the OSD or is it software to download?

Associate
Thanks efish.

Will not bother with RTSS just now then as the monitor is working fine. Have tested it with the Pendulum demo and that seems ok and games that i am playing at the moment are running great.

Can't find this "dells frame rate timer" though. is this a part of the OSD or is it software to download?

The idea of using RTSS to cap the frame rate at 3 frames below your max refresh is to prevent bad frame times from causing occasional peaks above your max refresh, causing V-Sync to turn on briefly or causing stutter and tearing.
The frame rate cap built into RTSS is the most accurate of them all, and only adds a single frame of latency.

Enable the OSD built into MSI afterburner (The OSD actually uses RTSS) and turn on the frame time graph. You'll probably find that even though you're getting a steady frame rate, the actual pacing is all over the place.
RTSS can smooth this out and pretty much remove any judder which can still happen even when within the freesync rsnge.

Soldato
The idea of using RTSS to cap the frame rate at 3 frames below your max refresh is to prevent bad frame times from causing occasional peaks above your max refresh, causing V-Sync to turn on briefly or causing stutter and tearing.
The frame rate cap built into RTSS is the most accurate of them all, and only adds a single frame of latency.

Enable the OSD built into MSI afterburner (The OSD actually uses RTSS) and turn on the frame time graph. You'll probably find that even though you're getting a steady frame rate, the actual pacing is all over the place.
RTSS can smooth this out and pretty much remove any judder which can still happen even when within the freesync rsnge.

I don't disagree with the idea of using and testing with RTSS. Using it enabled with this monitor raises the old 'if you have a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail' issue.

So far in my case stutter is such an unusual event, its very noticeable, limited to one game and is entirely predictable, happens in a few places moving through a door or window, transitioning between a dark and a light environment. All RTSS does is seriously limit responsiveness as it cuts my frames by around 100 f.p.s. and the game behaves exactly as it did at 250 f.p.s.

The stutter is so infrequent, not worth the effort of seeing if it can be resolved playing with the graphic settings.

Worth using if you get issues with stutter and tearing.

But so far these things are not an issue even when running over 144 h.z., the one example looks like it may be a driver or game engine bug (although as its a new monitor and the number of games run is small that may alter).

Associate
Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread as I have now ordered the Dell with the information and impressions from you kind folk. It seems that most if not all are quite happy with the Dell and as I have received a refund for my Samsung 27CHG70 due to the awful ghosting issues while using Freesync at lower frames, I have decided to give it a try.

I have been using an old Dell S2409W for the past week so I hope that the transition from VA to TN has been complete. :D

Soldato
Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread as I have now ordered the Dell with the information and impressions from you kind folk. It seems that most if not all are quite happy with the Dell and as I have received a refund for my Samsung 27CHG70 due to the awful ghosting issues while using Freesync at lower frames, I have decided to give it a try.

I have been using an old Dell S2409W for the past week so I hope that the transition from VA to TN has been complete. :D

My transition ended last night. Switch from I.P.S to T.N. Awesome late night session, the response, clarity colours, wow.

On the third day I got a set of L.E.D. strips for the back, never tried this before but it did help raise my perception of contrast, really lifted what the panel can do.

A love story from then on.

Soldato
Yes going into the control panel is all you have to do. RTSS is just the most effective tool to limit frame rates. Some folks seem to find it effective at reducing stuttering and tearing above 144 hz. I don't think particularly in the early days of the monitor you have to turn it on by default. Just think of it as tool you can deploy and experiment with. Its very easy to use.

I find as I am not use to the speed yet, the monitor runs like lightning no matter what, as its new its also useful to understand how the monitor responds at higher frame rates.

If you want to test out that g sync is actually working and use dells frame rate timer to see that 144 hz is dynamically adjusting, you want to keep RTSS turned off as it seems (at least with my set up) to interfere with dells timer, it just displays a flickering 144 hz in the timer.

I have it installed, treat it as a useful tool to experiment and test with. i.e if I run into any issues running over 144 hz, RTSS is the most effective tool to limit frame rates and determine if that is indeed the cause. Cranking up image settings in- game is a simpler way i.e metro last light can move from 200 fps to 80- 100 fps at the press of an in-game graphic setting.

I keep it turned of at the moment as the easy way to test g-sync is working in game and working as it should is to enable the 'g sync compatible indicator' in the Nividia control panel ( hit 'set up g sync' then 'display' tab at the very top right edge) and have Dells response timer to see that the hz range is dynamical adjusting in line with frame rate.

Edit. Before writing this, I had RTSS. enabled just to check, left it switched on by mistake and fired up metro last light redux (very high image settings), noticed it was on immediately as the game was notably less responsive, with RTSS on getting a reasonably steady 65 f.p.s, turned off the frames are flying about between 65- 87 f.p.s, just as smooth but far more responsive than with RTSS enabled. Only a 10 f.p.s difference on average but the lack of response felt almost identical to a 100 f.p.s drop.

Wondering if RTSS may need an update to play nice with adaptive sync or some other software component, its certainly not playing well with at least one of Dells o.s.d features?

Associate
Got the monitor today and boy......I am super impressed. Must have got a golden sample by the looks of it. :D

No backlight bleed, no dead pixels so far. No streaks or odd panel uniformity issues that I can see.

It has very nice colours straight out of the box. My unit has very nice gamma judging by my eyes only and isn't washed out at all. The black level is fine as well and totally acceptable to me which was one of my worries about this monitor beforehand.

This unit is better than the Asus PG278QR that I had when it comes to black level which is very surprising, has better colour and doesn't have that annoying anti glare coating.

Another surprise with this unit is the G-sync compatible range. It's floor is 48 Hz and not 55 Hz for some reason. I have tested it over and over again. G-sync works flawlessly in my testing so far and the overclock is vital for my uses as some games only use set limiters and 144 is common.

2019-02-17%2014.15.20_zpsjd6cgque.jpg

2019-02-17%2014.17.10_zpsxbefafwp.jpg
I haven't even put my bias lighting strips on it yet which I live by for that extra perceived contrast and I really like the RTS preset. I never ever use presets on monitors other than standard.

I'm going to watch it over the coming days and hope nothing goes wrong. I won't miss the Samsung 27CHG70 at all now.

A big thanks to everyone in the thread that helped my decision and thanks to PCM2 for a great review. Keep up the good work. ;)

Associate
I'm using just a basic RGB one which isn't the best but I have used them for years. I used to get headaches from the constant fluctuation of brightness and the strip helped me greatly.

I just found colour saturation at the bottom of the menu when using presets. I also tried using the icc profile from PCM2's review and it is very dark and rich on my unit which I think means that it has higher gamma than the review sample.

Soldato
Basic R.G.B. as well. Did not want to spend more as did not know if it would work on my perception and the basic bias lighting ones with correct colour range are white only.
Does work, very slight but notable lift to contrast using the white light on full brightness.

Where they do work fully is with eye strain.

I may just pick up a single strip of the white 6500k and use them alongside the R.G.B. Colour and mood altering aspect is also pleasing and draws you in late- night.

Extra light source brings unexpected benefits, I tune my audio amp on my desk top more in- game, despite the fact it has a touch screen and is illuminated, its easier to use.

End result is better sight and sound.

Associate
What do you think about the usual TN v IPS discussion re this monitor
TN monitors are for gaming and fast paced gaming only imo. No point in comparing with IPS or VA.

People need to ask themselves what they need depending on usage. As far as TN goes the Dell is probably the best I have seen considering that I have had the Dell S2417DG, Asus PG278QR, Acer Predator XB271HUA.

I still have a Samsung 24CFG73 which is a VA with Quantum Dot so it's very colourful but I notice smearing after using the Dell.

Associate
TN monitors are for gaming and fast paced gaming only imo. No point in comparing with IPS or VA.

People need to ask themselves what they need depending on usage. As far as TN goes the Dell is probably the best I have seen considering that I have had the Dell S2417DG, Asus PG278QR, Acer Predator XB271HUA.

I still have a Samsung 24CFG73 which is a VA with Quantum Dot so it's very colourful but I notice smearing after using the Dell.

Thanks, is there banding? Does the lack of glow effect brightness?

Soldato
I always see mentioned that ips screens have a certain glow

The lack of glow is an advantage of t.n. The monitor is very bright out of the box but unlike I.P.S glow you can alter the setting.

Its difficult to compare the monitor with I.P.S or older T.N. panels, the tech has really evolved and moved on.

Associate
I've not seen the Dell in the flesh, but from what I've read, TN panels have come along quite far now, at least in terms of colour reproduction and slightly improved viewing angles vs older models.
Gamma does vary depending on the level of your eyes vs the screen though, which can make the lower of the screen appear brighter, revealing detail you shouldn't be seeing.
If I had one of these I'd certainly look into bias lighting to assist in improving perceived contrast :)

Soldato
I've not seen the Dell in the flesh, but from what I've read, TN panels have come along quite far now, at least in terms of colour reproduction and slightly improved viewing angles vs older models.
Gamma does vary depending on the level of your eyes vs the screen though, which can make the lower of the screen appear brighter, revealing detail you shouldn't be seeing.
If I had one of these I'd certainly look into bias lighting to assist in improving perceived contrast :)

If you have an I.P.S and you can slightly improve the contrast in the O.S.D. altering default colour settings, bais lighting is worth the £12. My Dell I.P.S does this, contrast is worse on an older A.O.C i.p.s. my son uses. Bias lighting more or less matches my older Monitor after tweaking.

Contrast is comparable to I.P.S, with some you wont need to bother with bias lighting to get it to what you are use too.

Don't notice an issue with gamma.

The major lottery with panels is the way perception varies from eye to eye. From me this monitor is a vast improvement where it counts. Although for anyone else you are not going to know until you use one and may not see things the same way.

Element of luck and I have been lucky this time round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom