Dell shows its new U2410 display

Associate
Judging from the location Dell is based, the Irish government will.. after all, it's thrown them quite a few other lucrative tax bones :)

In case you haven't heard, the US is full of regulations and taxes too. Granted, they have less rights to things like sick pay, although it's also a system where the employee often requires the employer (In this case Dell) to help offer them an affordable health plan. Either way these differences don't add up to the price differentials they attempt to charge the UK, even given a 15% VAT rate. Sorry, no matter how you slice or dice it they rip the UK off. The nice thing about the internet is there's no hiding it these days - people can see it.

Oh, and before you go arguing those arguments about how all these high European wages forces Dell to charge far higher prices, perhaps you should consider Dell have been busy moving a lot of their Irish stuff (after the massive tax breaks the Irish gave them) to other well known high-pay locations like Poland. You want to bet me they're not paying those Polish workers substantially less overall than their own US workers? You want to bet me that the average cost for their Irish workers are NOT higher than the US average?

If you think your reasoning adds up to a justified £300 increase in the price of a monitor which costs £266 in Hong Kong then perhaps I can offer you some things for sale :)

Given that sales and customer service have been migrated to India, and that Dell are on a wholesale retreat from Ireland I think it's harder for them to justify their European pricing. I'm sure the last guy to repair my laptop said it had been built in Estonia or somewhere in that region. The parts are certainly bargain basement mass-produced Chinese items, from what I can tell (chassis and casings for example), so no different to any other market.

Associate
So it does, i never noticed Dell had a zero dead (bright) pixel policy, when did this happen?
Not sure, but it has a premier panel 3-year guarantee or something like that; certainly gave me some extra confidence when I bought mine. Only downside is that any replacements will not be calibrated, according to the Dell FAQ. :(

Associate
What type of IPS panel does this monitor have?
It's the LM240WU4 supposedly - the same panel the HP LP2475w and the Philips 240PW9EB use. Apparently its a new revision though. What that changes isn't clear, but probably not a whole lot.

I've seen some problems related to a "pink tint" etc being reported on the HP, but I'm not sure if that's just people who don't know what the implications of using a wide gamut monitor are.

Associate
I've seen some problems related to a "pink tint" etc being reported on the HP, but I'm not sure if that's just people who don't know what the implications of using a wide gamut monitor are.
No, I think that would be the well-documented green>pink left>right colour gradient, which appears on light backgrounds and seems to be an inherent design fault of the LP2475W (although some people report their sample is free of the "feature"). I've had three of them, from different suppliers at different times, and they all had to go back for this reason.

If the problem is related to the monitor design, rather than the LM240WU4 itself, hopefully the Dell won't be similarly afflicted (haven't seen any feedback regarding the Philips in this respect).

Soldato
So it does, i never noticed Dell had a zero dead (bright) pixel policy, when did this happen?

They offer a zero bright pixel guarantee on their premium panels (i.e. UltraSharp):

Premium Panel Guarantee – 100% replacement of UltraSharp series monitors sold with systems or as standalone units purchased direct from Dell if any bright pixel is found defective. Valid within the warranty period, standard or extended where applicable (replacement units may be refurbished except where prohibited by local laws)

HP offer a similar guarantee on their performance panels:

HP’s Zero Bright Dots Guarantee for Specific 24-30” Performance Displays - For certain 24-30” HP Performance displays, HP guarantees zero bright dots. This policy applies to LP2475w, LP2480zx and LP3065 (regardless of manufactured date).

Associate
No, I think that would be the well-documented green>pink left>right colour gradient, which appears on light backgrounds and seems to be an inherent design fault of the LP2475W (although some people report their sample is free of the "feature"). I've had three of them, from different suppliers at different times, and they all had to go back for this reason.

If the problem is related to the monitor design, rather than the LM240WU4 itself, hopefully the Dell won't be similarly afflicted (haven't seen any feedback regarding the Philips in this respect).
My Dell U2410 suffers from no tint effects.

Associate
It's the LM240WU4 supposedly - the same panel the HP LP2475w and the Philips 240PW9EB use. Apparently its a new revision though. What that changes isn't clear, but probably not a whole lot.

Dell U2410 – LG IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1) – updated version of the IPS panel that the HP LP2475W uses – LG IPS (LM240WU4-SLA1).

Associate
469€ should i buy it ? :D
That's what.. £410? Well, unless you want to wait a few months as the price is likely to fall more, I'd go for it - IF a proper SRGB mode and decent input lag matters. If you're going to use colour managed applications, or intend on using Windows 7 as your main OS (meaning wide gamut isn't a big issue) and find 20ms input lag is OK then I would go for a cheaper alternative of the same IPS panel, like the Philips 240PW9ES (Which OC have listed @ £350).

Even places like Sweden, which is one of the few countries which usually has higher prices than the UK, is pricing the U2410 at £430. Given that's at launch it seems fairly certain this monitor is eventually going to retail for much less than the current generation of 2408's.

Soldato
Still waiting :( We've asked for a whole load of monitors at discount (as it brings the price down further across all products) but it takes a bit more time for them to approve pricing.

Soldato
So no idea on pricing at all? :)

I don't mind - I can't move for one until my student loan hits in about a month but i'm interested to see pricing, as I said above it's this or an NEC off the MM.

Associate
Forgive my ignorance but is the MM for special people only?

gutted they EOL'd the NEC before I could save the pennies...this dell is looking a better prospect though...if I get one I can relegate my 20WGX2 to secondary monitor status :D

I actually bought that from OC for about £490 in April 06...how we'd laugh at the thought of paying that much for a 20" panel these days!

also a shame there're still no reviews online yet for the U2410 (apart from the terrible one on cnet australia).

Slackworth, not caring to guess at a ballpark figure for this one?

Associate
Fairy snuff....at current rate of posting I'll be eligible for MM in about 14.5 years lol
I guess I'll stick to what I can find on ebay ;)

well...that or retail for non-EOL'd items

Associate
MKay still using XP :)
Hey! XP is better in some ways :p Example - take the Nvidia drivers. Plug in a CRT TV via Svideo and you get far better control of your TV with the XP drivers. The XP drivers also have better gamma controls directly available to the user than Nvidias Vista/Win7 driver. There's also certain pro apps that behave better on XP. But I've jumped on the pre-order for Windows 7, and game on the Windows 7 RC already.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom