Dell U2412M, U2312HM and U2212HM on their way!

Associate
Apparently LG makes the majority of IPS panels on the market and they all have a similar coating.
Not true, a lot of manufacturers choose to apply this horrible AG coating, but not all! The Hazro's HZ27 -/WA/WC/WB/WD for example use almost the same panel as the Dell U2711 but unlike the U2711 they're glossy and thus don't have the AG coating.

ocq

ocq

Associate
Not true, a lot of manufacturers choose to apply this horrible AG coating, but not all! The Hazro's HZ27 -/WA/WC/WB/WD for example use almost the same panel as the Dell U2711 but unlike the U2711 they're glossy and thus don't have the AG coating.

I did say "majority" and not "all". I realise glossy monitors don't have AG. It would be amazing if someone compiled a table of monitors ordered by AG severity...

The Hazros seem nice but they are too big for what I'm after.

Soldato

The monitor manufacturers have no control whatsoever over the haze value used on their monitors as this is specified by the panel manufacturer (LG, in this case). The manufacturer can specify (or source) panels which have not had their outer polarising layer 'roughed up' and can apply their own anti-reflective coating - that is exactly what Apple and Hazro have done with their glossy screens. I have discussed this with Dell, Samsung and LG engineers already so I know it works this way. :)

Soldato
Aww. I wish I could provide right now but I'm afraid it's likely to be published in early October instead. Part of the reason for this is that Dell sent me another U2412M instead of a U2312HM so I'm still waiting. :p

Soldato
I’ve always been tempted to get a U2410 but never actually stumped up the cash. The latest excuse for procrastination was I’d see what the reviews of the U2412 were like (as that offers LED backlighting) and then decide). As it stands the U2410 has more connectivity, lower response time and doesn’t have backlighting bleed problems. I’m not made of money, but when spending £300 on a U2412 I’m thinking I might as well stick in an extra £150 to get the U2410 instead. Obviously I was hoping that once the U2412 was released the U2410 would be reduced to £10, but alas that hasn’t happened :p.

Anyone here used both a U2412 and a U2410 and got any comments? The U2410 being on This Week Only caught my eye, and infact Dell themselves these days aren't too much more expensive than OcUK (£466.80)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
What do you guys do with all these things once reviewed :o

i've got a warehouse full of every screen ive ever reviewed, just gathering dust!

no, not really. they get collected (most of the time) as they are normally either loan units from PR companies or stock samples in some cases from some manufacturers / retailers.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone here used both a U2412 and a U2410 and got any comments? The U2410 being on This Week Only caught my eye, and infact Dell themselves these days aren't too much more expensive than OcUK (£466.80)

indeed i have. thoughts and comparisons here :)

Soldato
Just took delivery of a U2312HM yesterday and pretty happy with it so far. The viewing angles maybe aren't quite as good as my old Dell 2007WFP, in that there's a little whitenning in the extreme corners of the screen sometimes, but you only see that if the screen content is very dark, other than that the screen seems problem free.

The AR coating doesn't really bother me, it's the sort of thing you only notice on large blocks on light colours, like if you use office, or art packages, but in gaming I certainly never notice it. TBH the coating was more noticeable on the 2007WFP. After reading this thread I was expecting it to be a lot worse.

Only other thing worth mentioning, black depth and near black detail still isn't quite where I'd want it for gaming in a dark room, but this only affects a very small number of games, stuff like Doom 3, Thief etc.

The really good thing, coming from a TN screen, I can get even colours over the whole screen now (rather than a vertical gradient), and a great looking picture.

Soldato
indeed i have. thoughts and comparisons here :)

Thanks for that :).

Interesting to see that you reckon the U2412 is slightly better than the U2410 in terms of motion blur despite Dell's G2G response times suggesting otherwise!

The extra inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping mode of the U2410 will probably swing me that way though, and for gaming use I'll just stick it in Game Mode with sRGB colours.

Soldato
Thanks for that :).

Interesting to see that you reckon the U2412 is slightly better than the U2410 in terms of motion blur despite Dell's G2G response times suggesting otherwise!

The extra inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping mode of the U2410 will probably swing me that way though, and for gaming use I'll just stick it in Game Mode with sRGB colours.

Which devices (and GPUs) are you intending to connect it to? You can't activate the monitors native sRGB emulation AND activate 'Game Mode' - it's one or the other. If you are using an AMD GPU then there are driver level adjustments that can be made to 'enable' sRGB.

Soldato
You can't activate the monitors native sRGB emulation AND activate 'Game Mode' - it's one or the other. If you are using an AMD GPU then there are driver level adjustments that can be made to 'enable' sRGB.

Devices and usage will be an eclectic mix, but the one I'm worried about is gaming (IPS = laaaaaaaag)... The Gaming PC's card is Nvidia so no driver level adjustments for me then :(.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19333067/19845121.aspx reckons Game Mode and sRGB colours is possible:
"If you're in preset game mode, but want the sRGB colours, you just cycle to sRGB but DON'T press OK.... and wait the monitor menu to disappear. You'll see that the monitor will be in game mode but using sRGB colours."

Soldato
Well I can't confirm whether that will work or not. The U2412M and U2410 are both more responsive in practice than many TN panel monitors I've used. I know it is difficult to fathom given the specifications but the 'average' transitions of most TN panels (if you want to compare numbers) are a hell of a lot higher than the numbers would suggest. Really these are cherry-picked grey to grey values which are safely ignored. All they are good for is determining whether or not a monitor uses overdrive. You must read subjective analysis and testing (such as those done by TFT Central and PC Monitors) to find out how the overdrive and overall monitor responsiveness fares in practice.

Soldato
The more time I spend with my U2312HM the happier I am with it. Playing Fallout NV last night, in a dark room, wandering the dark wilderness, and the black depth and dark detail was really pretty good, much better than my previous SM2443BW. When playing in a dark room I drop the brightness down since you really don't want a dazzlingly bright screen in those circumstances. This also gives you a better black depth and saves power too.

Can't notice any significant input lag and the actual pixel response seems really good too.

Only thing you could really criticize the screen for is that black depth and contrast do suffer when you're not an the ideal viewing angle, but at least the head on picture looks great with even colours across the screen and good contrast, and that's what matters to me.

Looking forwards to reading some detailed reviews, but I'm basically delighted with it.

Back
Top Bottom