Dell U2412M, U2312HM and U2212HM on their way!

Associate
What reviewersites says about backlight bleed is totally unintresting as most companies pick out a special piece for the review.

Listen to what users have to say instead and it is scary how many people that find U2412M useless because of backlight bleed.

Like Ritz.

Else just look for yourself.

images

The real killer for me is the backlight bleed. It's so strong on my monitor that it makes reading text on a dark background pretty uncomfortable and there is a very noticeable gradient visible when looking at either a very light or very dark screen.

As such, I would not recommend this monitor at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to have to disagree. I've been using the U2412M for around 2 weeks now and playing games and haven't noticed ghosting or anything to cause concern.

Imo saying it's a REALLY BAD and USELESS gaming monitor is 100% not true and incredibly misleading.
+1
I've only had my monitors since Monday, but I've done a fair bit of gaming and a lot of benchmarking of eyefinity, along with watching some tv shows at least one of which involved a lot of action. I haven't noticed any ghosting at all, or backlight bleed for that matter.

I read quite a few reviews before I bought them, and everyone said these monitors were excellent for gaming, and I agree completely. That digitalversus review is bizarre.

Caporegime
What reviewersites says about backlight bleed is totally unintresting as most companies pick out a special piece for the review.

Listen to what users have to say instead and it is scary how many people that find U2412M useless because of backlight bleed.

Like Ritz.

Else just look for yourself.

images

The backlight bleed does stand out a fair bit, it's true. It makes viewing anything with a dark backround really suck to be honest.

I'm going to set up my old Philips S-IPS next to the Dell and take some pictures, with both displaying black screens. I'm pretty sure the Dell will be a lot worse.

Still considering sending it back. If I do I'll join the herd and get a 16:9.

Associate
Still considering sending it back. If I do I'll join the herd and get a 16:9.
If you're otherwise happy with it, you might consider simply exchanging once or twice before giving up on it completely - there's a great deal of sample variation with regard to backlight bleed, and you're subject to luck of the draw to a large extent.

Of course, consumers *shouldn't* be in a position where they have to keep returning items in the hope of eventually getting an acceptable one - many people simply won't have the time or patience, which is perfectly understandable.

Soldato
If you're otherwise happy with it, you might consider simply exchanging once or twice before giving up on it completely - there's a great deal of sample variation with regard to backlight bleed, and you're subject to luck of the draw to a large extent.

Of course, consumers *shouldn't* be in a position where they have to keep returning items in the hope of eventually getting an acceptable one - many people simply won't have the time or patience, which is perfectly understandable.

Yeah tell me about it. I've just been replacing some old lab computers with U2412Ms. 6 of them in total all from the same supplier. 3 of them exhibited no noticeable excess backlight bleed-through (like our review model), 2 had mild backlight bleed-through and the remaining unit was even worse than FoxEye's and was promptly returned. Would be nice to try to use a broader sample size from different suppliers over time - if I install any more I'll keep a tally. ;) As a point of comparison the U2311H is no angel in this sense and I've yet to come across a U2311H with black uniformity as good as 3 of the U2412Ms (4 including the review sample).

Caporegime
For the first time I watched a movie on my 2412. With brightness set to 10% (contrast 70%), the blacks were still not black enough. In the corners the screen there is a "sheen" which looks similar to reflected light (but isn't).

I'm not sure if the glossy surface is exaggerating this effect yet further. Anyway, long story short, I was continually distracted by the lack of a decent black. But the movie rocked :D

Caporegime
Is IPS glow more prominent in the corners of the screen? Because I'm not getting a uniform glow effect, it's specifically the bottom right and bottom left corners that are bad.

Soldato
Move back so you are looking at the monitor from several meters back. If the 'sheen' is disappears then it is IPS glow. You will probably find it reduces slightly but the excess backlight bleed-through (which I have no doubt your unit also suffers from) will remain. It is just your description of a 'sheen' implies that it has dynamic qualities and changes appearance as you move your head. That would be a characteristic of IPS glow but not backlight leakage.

And I am still intrigued by this 'glossy surface'. :eek:

Associate
Have not noticed any of the issues listed here on my U2412M. Been very impressed with it alongside my NEC MultiSync 24WMGX3, so impressed in fact, I'm considering another for Eyefinity.

Soldato
I'm referring to the anti-glow coating, which appears a bit like a glossy surface to me :)

The U2412M has one of the least glossy surfaces you'll find on a modern monitor. It is very much on the matte end of the spectrum (over 30% haze value I believe) as evident from the slightly 'dirty' look when viewing white and light colours. Direct light can still cause some degree of glare which may be what you are referring to but the screen is certainly not glossy in the PC monitor sense. This is especially true at a brightness of 10% which probably equates to around 80 cd/m2 white luminance on the U2412M with that contrast setting.

Last edited:
Associate
Apart from the size are there any other differences between the U2312 and U2412? I'm looking to use this for MMO gaming and a bit of phtography work (beginners level)

On the subject of size I remember seeing 2 different brands of monitor one was 23" and the other 24". The 23" seemed "a lot" smaller than the 24" but I'm sure this was an optical illusion or my poor eyesight!

Soldato
Apart from the size are there any other differences between the U2312 and U2412? I'm looking to use this for MMO gaming and a bit of phtography work (beginners level)

On the subject of size I remember seeing 2 different brands of monitor one was 23" and the other 24". The 23" seemed "a lot" smaller than the 24" but I'm sure this was an optical illusion or my poor eyesight!

There is a fairly significant height difference between the monitor screens as the U2412M has a 16:10 aspect ratio (1920 x 1200 resolution) and the U2312HM has a 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080 resolution) on a smaller screen:

http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x10-vs-23-inch-16x9.

A thorough review of the U2312HM hasn't been done yet so it is difficult to say if there are any other differences in practice. I will have one to test out next week though so will be able to compare with the U2412M.

Associate
There is a fairly significant height difference between the monitor screens as the U2412M has a 16:10 aspect ratio (1920 x 1200 resolution) and the U2312HM has a 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080 resolution) on a smaller screen:

http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x10-vs-23-inch-16x9.

A thorough review of the U2312HM hasn't been done yet so it is difficult to say if there are any other differences in practice. I will have one to test out next week though so will be able to compare with the U2412M.

Look forward to seeing that. I had set my budget around the £200 mark (i.e. U2311) so need to think if the U2412 is worth the extra. Pity I don't know anywhere I can see these in the flesh so to speak.

kbc

kbc

Associate
I've just recently purchased a U2312HM screen, it arrived nice and I have to say the screen quality is pretty impressive as with the viewing angles. However... being used to 24" monitor, you do notice the difference in screen size. :( But build quality is very good...

ocq

ocq

Associate
I'm sending my U2112HM back, primarily because of anti-glare coating. Apparently LG makes the majority of IPS panels on the market and they all have a similar coating. Also, the 'sparkly rainbow effect' is so say exaggerated on screens with a smaller pixel pitch - like my 21.5", but I've recently seen the older 24" Dell and the effect is still evident to me.

I'm now holding out for those new Samsung PLS screens which are due out soon, supposedly a much better coating.

Back
Top Bottom