*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Yes. I was surprised about the better uniformity with the NEC as well.

Bear in mind though that this is a new E-IPS screen. LG Display have never manufactured (to my knowledge at least) a 23" E-IPS panel so as I mentioned on another forum this could be an indication that they are taking uniformity issue a little more seriously with their newer panels and are at last trying to mitigate the issue somewhat (we can only hope ;))

Yes. I am also missing the extra 120 pixels. Some pictures do not display correctly on my desktop as they were designed for "normal" monitors. But apart from this it is not a major issue and I think movie watching should be a better than good experience on this monitor with the extra width.

Associate
Keep in mind a decent percentage (3 out of 5 in my own experience) of U2410's have good uniformity and it's hard to properly judge how trouble free a screen is until more people have more examples. But that's great news if these 23" E-IPS panels turn out to be a lot more trouble free in these regards, especially given the price.

Of course the U2711, with 2560 x 1440 resolution, is also on the way and it may or may not improve on these problems, although Dells actions with the U2410 don't exactly lend confidence about their screens..

NEC also have 4 new IPS panels on the way.. Another new 23 inch (it'll be funny if the E-IPS out-performs it in terms of more uniform colours etc!), a 24 inch (which may or may not use the same panel as the U2410), a 27 inch with the same res as the Apple 27" and the U2711, and a new 30 inch panel.. Hopefully this coming generation fixes some of these manufacturing issues, or at least the makers didn't scrape the bottom of the panel barrel. Although NEC provide some correction for such issues anyway on their higher end screens..

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, I'll jump here as well.

Stupidly (possibly!?) I ordered one of these from Dell a few days ago and didn't even notice this thread! I am working on getting a 3 x 24" Eyefinity setup working and already owned a 2405FPW, so saw the Displayport addition on the U2410 and read a quick couple of minor reviews (and based on the success / happiness of owning the 2405FPW) bought one.

It arrived yesterday, and eventually got round to installing it around 10pm last night. So far (only used it for about 20min) I'm pretty happy. The only thing I'v been unable to do is get the brightness and colours to match (as close as possible) to my 2405FPW which is parked right next to it (in dual-screen currently).

I’ll scrutinise it a bit more when I get in from work later and post back here, but touch wood so far I've not seen anything majorly disappointing.

If anyone has any tips to getting the brightness levels and colours to match (as close as possible) to the 2405FPW or if anyone else has the same setup I'd appreciate some advice. I will be adding another 2405FPW when I can afford it to run the 3 x 24" Eyefinity "Soon™".

Associate
Hi Chaparral,

To be honest I haven't had it long enough to make a proper decision. First impressions though are that it (the U2410) is a good monitor, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my 2405FPW and if the U2410 didn't have a Displayport (my only reason for buying one) I would have bought a 2nd hand 2405FPW instead.

I haven't got any issues with the U2410, but I can't quite get the colours to match up with the 2405FPW, and I think the colours on the FPW are better (more defined??) sorry, I'm pants at explaining stuff like this, monitors are definitely not my forte, I just use them for displaying stuff! lol
I’d really appreciate some other users of the U2410 to post up what colour settings / contrast / brightness settings they have got and why. At the moment I think that the whites are a bit too bright and piercing for my eye, and the white on black text looks a ‘touch’ blurry – might have a fiddle with the contrast later.

At the moment, with no real config work on the U2410 the picture on my FPW looks better if I’m being honest.

Associate
NEC also have 4 new IPS panels on the way.. Another new 23 inch (it'll be funny if the E-IPS out-performs it in terms of more uniform colours etc!), a 24 inch (which may or may not use the same panel as the U2410), a 27 inch with the same res as the Apple 27" and the U2711, and a new 30 inch panel

Yep... I can't wait:D 2010 looks like it might be shaping up to be a good year it you are in the market for a new monitor ( I might even get a companion one:D)

NEC's range really does sound exciting and I might even have a glance at the Dell:p

Just get a bit of styling in your monitors NEC,Eizo and Dell! Not that hard....Apple does it all the time......And I would pay extra....(Do they even read these forums?):rolleyes:

Soldato
Time for me to contribute to this thread and not for positives unfortunately. :(

I got my new u2410 yesterday, however not only can I not colour match it to my a04 2407 for the life of me, the colours are totally off. Almost to the point of hurting my eyes.

This has posed a massive problem as I do a fair bit of work in illustrator and photoshop and I've had to do the days work on my 2407.

Desktop

A picture from the daily motors thread, look at the silver paint. :(

The imageshack website

The problem is, when you try to match one colour, everything else goes out of whack, how white becomes orange/red is beyond me.

I'll be honest, this screen is utter crap. Even my age old 19" vx922b can produce colours better than this £400 screen.

I'm very close to returning it just sticking with my 2407 and putting up with the lame connectivity.

Does anyone have any tips to get the colours right? Or is it a no hoper and what screen should I look at instead? I was sure this screen would be able to match/ be better than the 2407 but apparently not. :confused:

Associate
...you need to calibrate the U2410, you need an hardware calibrator for that like the Eye Display 2 or Spyder 3 (I would suggest the Eye Display 2) there is no way that you are going to match the color on both monitors manually unless they are both cvalibrated using the same calibrator/software!

Associate
Lay-z-boy, I'm completely with you. Thanks for posting that up, it really demonstrates what I meant when trying to get the two monitors to work beside each other. The colour difference in mine isn't as obvious as yours, but it is still there, and I have had to turn the brightness down to 0 to stop it hurting my eyes (however, that may just be my eyes! lol)

I have just ordered the Spyder3Express, I'll post up the results when it arrives. Fingers crossed it can sort it out.

Soldato
Ouch those things are damm expensive. :eek:

I think I'll order a Colorvision Spyder 3 Express today if it means I can have normal colours on the 2410 and match them as best to the 2407 as possible.

Soldato
Thank god I found this thread :)

Was thinking of buying two of these... Now I will stay away in fear! Why are there no good 1920x1200 monitors out at the moment :(.

Looking to upgrade from BenQ FP241W, can anyone offer solace?

Associate
@ Lay-z-boy, good idea - I don't know if it is actually going to work / provide good results, but all the bits I've read about it on the net have been positive, and for £70 or so for the Express version I thought it would be a wise investment. I know someone has kindly offered to do a loan of their Spyder2Express on another thread, but I didn't want to wait (I'm an impatient boy!)

@ Rexehuk, to be honest, I do understand you decisions to stay away, however, as previously mentioned, if you get a good monitor (roughly 3 out of 5? so a bit of a lottery!) then they are good monitors - Just a lot of emotion on this thread is derived from people having a bad experience.

If I didn't have my U2410 parked next to my 2405FPW I don't think I’d be on here moaning as I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

Mine doesn't suffer from any tinting, or any bleeding etc and certainly no dead pixels - I am just suffering from trying to get the colours to match the 2405FPW (which when running them side-by-side is kind of important! :)

Associate
Ouch those things are damm expensive. :eek:

....but worth it.

I use an Eye One Display 2 and it matched my two different 24" monitors perfectly. When I think about all the hours I've spent tinkering with the colours and the pain of changing graphics cards. Now a few minutes work with the calibrator and it's job done :D

Associate
....but worth it.

I use an Eye One Display 2 and it matched my two different 24" monitors perfectly. When I think about all the hours I've spent tinkering with the colours and the pain of changing graphics cards. Now a few minutes work with the calibrator and it's job done :D

That's comforting to know :) my Spyder should arrive tomorrow.

Associate
I think the colours on the FPW are better (more defined??) sorry, I'm pants at explaining stuff like this, monitors are definitely not my forte, I just use them for displaying stuff! lol
What you're describing sounds like the wider gamut of the U2410. It has a very wide gamut, which means it can produce a wider range of colours. Unfortunately, as many are finding out, this isn't always a good thing because most applications are designed for an sRGB colour space. In plain English what that means is that reds look too red and greens look like a darker more intense green. The U2410's sRGB mode emulates what a standard gamut screen is supposed to look like. Current wide gamut screens have moved beyond what the likes of Microsoft now supports, even in Windows 7.. They need to make the desktop colour managed and have not done so.. so the problem is the software side is not keeping up.

I’d really appreciate some other users of the U2410 to post up what colour settings / contrast / brightness settings they have got and why.
Every monitor is different so their settings won't do you much good. Keep in mind that a new screen is generally going to have a much brighter backlight which will dim more with time (unless it's LED backlit which may fade less) and, even if you got 2 of the same screens, they're rarely going to match especially if they're from different batches and have backlights with different amounts of usage. However you should be able to get the U2410 a lot closer with very little effort..

At the moment I think that the whites are a bit too bright and piercing for my eye, and the white on black text looks a ‘touch’ blurry – might have a fiddle with the contrast later.
Remember Cleartype settings which look good on one screen might make anothers text look blurry. You can try to adjust, but I'd strongly suggest you leave the Sharpness setting at the default 50 and look at your Cleartype settings instead.

I got my new u2410 yesterday, however not only can I not colour match it to my a04 2407 for the life of me, the colours are totally off. Almost to the point of hurting my eyes.

Desktop

The problem is, when you try to match one colour, everything else goes out of whack, how white becomes orange/red is beyond me.
In those images there's clearly too much of a red tint. Part of that is likely due to the wide gamut nature of the U2410. Here's a basic thing you can try in custom mode..

Look at an all white image (maximizing an empty folder window will work). Adjust the GAIN setting until it looks a more neutral white to you.. you'll have to play around a bit. DONT touch the hue settings (They can't be tweaked much and will cause banding if you go above 52 or below 48). Turn the Red Saturation down to about 40, and the Magenta down below 45. You should probably turn down green a little too. Finally, if you still notice any tints on greyscale images use the offset controls to tweak this to more neutral greys. Of course you can also calibrate the U2410 too, which should help.

Although the U2410's sRGB and Adobe mode are factory calibrated it's only to a dE of <5, which isn't great, and it's only done for the middle of the screen. Consider its Calibration report little more than a marketing gimmick. You can also enter the U2410's test mode to change the overall values for the Adobe and sRGB modes, but it's perhaps best not to do things this way.

I'll be honest, this screen is utter crap. Even my age old 19" vx922b can produce colours better than this £400 screen.
This is what it means when you get a very wide gamut screen. The only way to avoid it is buy a Calibration device and use colour managed apps (Photoshop is one example).
Does anyone have any tips to get the colours right? Or is it a no hoper and what screen should I look at instead?
Try the above - it should help..

Last edited:
Associate
This is what it means when you get a very wide gamut screen. The only way to avoid it is buy a Calibration device and use colour managed apps (Photoshop is one example).

At risk of belabouring the point this is another reason I lub my NEC. :D

It is NOT wide gamut. It's standard sRGB so ALL the colors look right. Tasty! :D

out of the box too - so even games that disable your ICC color managed profile look correct (in sRGB mode) Woot! ;)

Another reason I went this route :)

Associate
Latest word on the Dell forums is that they have no plans to ship new 2410 monitors with A01 firmware. It will only be provided to people that return their monitors complaining about the dithering issue.

So I have to wonder what Sam Melbourne of OcUK was playing at when he informed me "All our Dell U2410 are A01 versions" after I emailed to enquire about this.

I might just take the plunge still. I will probably be using it in game mode most of the time anyway, which isn't affected by the dithering.

Associate
Apart from the dithering, my U2410 is very good, extremely minor tint, barely noticeable, no dead pixels.

I'm tempted by the new firmware to remove the dithering though.

Associate
happy i did not get one of these on the dell forums somone asked

Also, would replacement monitor be brand new or refurbished?
dell responds

* All of the A01s will be refurbished

so if you buy a new one and then send it back you get a 2nd hand version which prob been sent back becasue of dead pixels or tint porblems in the first place.

so happy i did not get this monitor now but have to wait and see how the new nec models are and dells 27" just hope no tint problems with them

Back
Top Bottom