*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Ok, so I've got a Dell 2407 which I've very very happy with and a second arm waiting for my new U2410 to sit in. I'll be paying £345 for it. The order goes in first thing tomorrow along with a work order.

I'm guessing the reaction will be not to get it. Even for that price? And if not what else do I get?
I would prefer to have something that looked good on an arm next to a 2407 rather than something that looked totally different or that was totally rubbish.

I won't be using photoshop much, its mostly gaming, video and programming.

how did you get it for that price I looked in the small bussiness and it's £400 not including vat ?

Thanks

Soldato
how did you get it for that price I looked in the small bussiness and it's £400 not including vat ?

Thanks

If you're a Business customer that orders a lot from Dell, you can easily get 40-50%+ discounts. I got my XPS m1330 for £520 when it should have been almost £1100 on their site :)

Soldato
Aaaah, Come on guys, Someone help me!
Order one and have it shipped to me and i tell you if it's worth ordering one for yourself :p
are the fixed revison A01 out yet ?
From reading this thread,dell don't seem to think there a problem with this monitor and it is within there specs..
So god knows how long before they bring a new firmware out..

Last edited:
Associate
Should I steer clear of this as an upgrade to a 19" IIyama?

I have to confess I have a real issue with dead and stuck pixels, I see that the cover only extends to "bright" defective pixels but I assume I would still have seven days to test the display (Carefully of course) and it could be returned if any problems were present?

@Alfie, how is your's doing now...I found myself scrolling in anticipation of your next reply, was like reading a good book :)

Last edited:
Associate
@Alfie, how is your's doing now...I found myself scrolling in anticipation of your next reply, was like reading a good book :)

Well finally I have one with no issue apart from the dithering issue which is unavoidable. Am I happy? Well not really because I will forever have the bad taste in my mouth :(

Associate
I would avoid and look for a good second hand S-PVA screen whilst you wait for some good IPS panels to get on the market. They will come I'm sure.

Associate
I have received my U2410 from Overclockers :)
The monitor is not perfect, but its alright... I was expecting more from a product this expensive.
First there is a slight green tint on the left and pink on the right.
I have some picture on a white background, but I don't know how to increase the effect in paintshopro. Anyone could take a look and pump up the Hue to see if it's too pronounced or not?
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/bw002.jpg/
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/bw003.jpg/

- There are no bad pixels;
- The viewing angles are not that good;
- The contrast ratio is not great;
- There is a white glow when viewing black, but guess that's only avoidable with A-TW polarizer;
- And the worst of all the card reader only worked ONCE! :o :mad: I have this xD-Picture card from fujifilm and the monitor only read it once, when I turned the monitor off the card was not read anymore.
- Also dont like when you press the power button the USB ports and card reader are also disconnected from windows. This means every time you turn on or off the monitor also the USB/cad hub is also installed/uninstaled. :rolleyes:

Soldato
- Also dont like when you press the power button the USB ports and card reader are also disconnected from windows. This means every time you turn on or off the monitor also the USB/cad hub is also installed/uninstaled. :rolleyes:
Why would you want switch the monitor off while using your PC :confused:

The only thing i don't like about this is that i can't keep charging up by the USB ports my mobile phone/GPS/ipod/wireless gamepads/etc etc went my PC/monitor is switched off..

Last edited:
Associate
Why would you want switch the monitor off while using your PC :confused:

The only thing i don't like about this is that i can't keep charging up my mobile phone/GPS/wireless games/etc etc went my PC/monitor is switched off..

If the HUB is connected to the PC why should it be uninstalled from the PC when you press the monitor power button? And why can't a PC still be working with the monitor off? :rolleyes:
Yes I do turn off the monitor when I'm not near the PC!

Associate
First there is a slight green tint on the left and pink on the right.
I have some picture on a white background, but I don't know how to increase the effect in paintshopro. Anyone could take a look and pump up the Hue to see if it's too pronounced or not?
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/bw002.jpg/
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/bw003.jpg/

here you go.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9431/bw003.jpg

Your other image just looks completely blue with the saturation up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ordered a 2410 recently and got an A01 revision which should have the dithering issue fixed in Adobe and sRGB colour modes

Associate
here you go.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9431/bw003.jpg

Your other image just looks completely blue with the saturation up.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's ordered a 2410 recently and got an A01 revision which should have the dithering issue fixed in Adobe and sRGB colour modes

Haa thanks, now I can see more clearly what's wrong. Definitely its darker on the lower halve of the screen because of the green and pink shading, or maybe its the opposite. But I cant capture this colours with the camera like I see with naked eye. Probably cheap camera or bad photographer... Looks like I'm going to bug Dell too. :( I suspect no U2410 is 100% ok.
I wonder what is wrong physically in the monitor to cause this colour shifts.
Panel bent in the corners? Pixels badly manufactured?
Might it be slightly different current passing in pixels causing the colour shift?
What can it be?

Rev A01 should be out already, but no one has fired the alarms in the forums yet.
Now I think I should have waited for REV A02 with no tinting issues, and card reader functioning properly :)

Associate
All monitors are subject to these sorts of problem - it just seems that the current generation of larger IPS panels are very much more prone to these particular tint issues, and to a much more noticeable degree. Unless these IPS panels are being used in cheaper screens (where expectations are lower and these problems might be more forgivable), I would say that it's unacceptable to charge £300+ for an IPS screen and not make sure either the panel has much better uniformity or, at the very least, provides controls which can better correct the problem when it is there (by allowing several screen areas to be adjusted independently of one another).

I made a realization about the U2410 which sums up the real problem though, particularly for people buying in the UK. In the UK this screen is in the "around £500" category. When we buy this screen we rightly approach it with the expectations that price tag brings..IE we don't expect near perfect like with Eizo priced screens etc, but we DO expect something with no OBVIOUS flaws which, in some regards, can make the screen worse than even the cheapest TN panels!

However that's where we're wrong.. This screen is NOT a premium screen. In the US, if you go via Bing to the Dell Ebay store, Dell will sell you a factory new U2410 for $450 or less - That's £275. Likewise even at launch (when you'd expect the screen to cost the most) Dell sold the U2410 in Hong Kong for £266. Keep in mind these are ordinary end user prices - a big business would get even heavier discounts. So here in the UK we're approaching the U2410 with "£500 screen" expectations, whereas in reality the U2410 is a £250 screen - it's just that Dell are massively overcharging the UK for it right now. Once you realize this things make much more sense.

Unfortunately, even though we're paying almost double (and more than double if you go via Dell UK directly as an ordinary end user) what other countries are, we get nothing in return for it. We get the same random quality LG panels, where some have really excellent uniformity, some are so bad that many would consider them literally unusable, and everything in between there.

Worse, unless my own/others luck is simply bad, I'm also starting to be of the opinion that the quality of panels Dell is paying LG for means these screens are more prone to dead pixels than an equivalently sized TN panel from one of the better manufacturers, and Dell only swap for 1 LIT pixel, not 1 DEAD one. The irony of this is that a lit pixel tends to be less noticeable on everything except a black background, making Dells policy a nonsense.

So, what else to buy? Well, I'd wait to see if there's any VA panels ahead, which have low input lag, because manufacturers are becoming more more aware of the importance of providing a gaming mode. If that's not critical I'd look at buying the Apple 24" Cinema display, which is in the same price ballpark if you can get a student discount on Apple products. ACD's appear to be somewhat less prone to the tint issues (although not entirely free of them either) probably because they're actually paying LG for a higher grade of panel. They also avoid the colour gamut issues (with the good and bad that brings) and the LED backlighting should mean they will run noticeably cooler, even if they don't burn much less power. Likewise they use a glossy finish - I'd normally prefer matte, but the coating on the U2410 is thick enough that many would choose glossy over it.

If you simply must consider this screen then I'd now take a look at the HP LP2475W, because HP AREN'T refusing to swap their screens if you complain about any tint issues, unlike Dell. Otherwise wait for Dell to stop ripping the UK off on price, or get ready for the panel lottery this screen brings.. They are very good screens when you get a good one.

Associate
Apologies in avance for hijacking/diverting this thread a little. A bit off topic but relevant when compared to the Dell U2410.

Guys if you are looking for a hassle free monitor with an IPS screen please have a look at the NEC EA231wmi.

Mkay is right the Dell is NOT a premium monitor. It appears to be an attempt by Dell to cash in on the burgeoning enthsiast crowd (like us) that see the value in an IPS screen and want something better than TN/PVA.
IMO their thinking is along the lines of give them the IPS, don't worry about the quality, they (hopefully) won't know the difference.
I also went through 4 spectular failure examples of the Dell U2410 and I will definitely not be subjecting myself to that kind of unpleasantness in future.

I can honestly say that the NEC EA 231wmi despite its E-IPS screen is possibly the best monitor I have seen on the market ATM considering its price.

Brilliant design, build, picture quality (subjective and tested is simply amazing). I calibrated my monitor to average deltaE of 0.34 with a maximum 0.87, black level of 0.15 and luminance of 125 cd/m2. This is miles better than anything I could get with the Dell U2410 even with its claims to accurate colour. Stretching the memory banks here but I think the best calibrated result I got with the Dell was average deltaE of 1.5 ish and maximum of 3-4 which is not very good for a monitor claiming to produce "amazing" color accuracy.

standardmodecalibrationblack015.jpg

I really am chuffed that a monitor at this price (it can be had for around 280 euro) can produce such quality. Its possible that the good image quality is also due to the fact that the resolution of the NEC is 1920 x 1080 despite being 1 inch smaller than the Dell producing sharper images with a smaller dot pitch. This needs to verified though.

Also worth mentioning is the fact that the NEC does not really need to be calibrated as it is perfectly accurate out of the box in sRGB mode (validated average deltaE of 0.73 and max of around 1.59 with black level 0.13 and luminance around 120 cd/m2).

srgbmodecalibration.jpg

If you can wait NEC is also apparently releasing a new PA range of monitors all with IPS screens mid 2010 which may explain why the current 2490wuxi2 is so poor (interim solution?).

It is readily available in Europe and UK so you should have no problems obtaining this monitor (unlike in Aus) :confused:
More pics of my NEC EA231wmi below. I REALLY like my monitor. :D

DSC00372.JPG

DSC00375.JPG

DSC00377.JPG

You can see my full review on HardForum under NEC EA231wmi discussion.

Associate

Nice post, thanks for the info. If we see that the monitor you refer to is generally excellent then it rebuffs many of DELL & LG's claims about panel performance... i.e. If a much cheaper monitor manages to avoid those tint issues then Dell, LG & Co are doing something very wrong.

I believe I posted about this monitor when its arrival was rumoured a few months ago, and I would happily get it, aside from the major detraction that it is 1920x1080 rather than 1920x1200, and for software development 16:10 gives you additional height in IDE's etc which is a definite boon.

Back
Top Bottom