*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Its almost pay day for me and Ive been itching to buy a 24" IPS monitor for a while now.

Im glad to hear the A01 rev for the dell has come out and maybe they have improved their QC for panel tinting (maybe) so Im less likely to get one with a tint.

I might take a chance and get this come pay day...unless the HP ZR24W comes out before then (which I doubt).

Associate
using the beta 3 icm profile colours look bit unsaturated now, fixed the other issues though. whats the best way to up the saturation a bit?

Associate
using the beta 3 icm profile colours look bit unsaturated now, fixed the other issues though. whats the best way to up the saturation a bit?
Make sure under Menu/Color Settings/Gamma it's set to PC and not Mac. PC Gamma is 2.2, and Mac was 1.8 (Apple switched to 2.2 in the last version of OSX). If you use the Mac setting it will make things look too pale.

Other than that make sure it's used under Custom Color, Standard, Multimedia, or Game Mode. If it's under Custom Mode remember that the ICM file will already attempt to manage the colour in any colour managed apps, so if it looks washed out in that mode it's probably your settings.

Associate
I've owned this screen for just under a week now and must say I like it. I've been reading up on the colour profiles etc (never looked into this before) and would like to know if the colour profiles will effect gaming in any way? i.e. if I use the latest Beta profile, run the screen in Game Mode and then boot up, say, Mass Effect 2 will the profile still be controlling the colours or will the game take over a render the profile inactive?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Make sure under Menu/Color Settings/Gamma it's set to PC and not Mac. PC Gamma is 2.2, and Mac was 1.8 (Apple switched to 2.2 in the last version of OSX). If you use the Mac setting it will make things look too pale.

Other than that make sure it's used under Custom Color, Standard, Multimedia, or Game Mode. If it's under Custom Mode remember that the ICM file will already attempt to manage the colour in any colour managed apps, so if it looks washed out in that mode it's probably your settings.

thanks mate ill have a look. never had this bloody messing with monitors before hahaha!

Associate
getting tempted by a 3rd one of these...

if i got one of the new ati cards do you run 2 through dvi then the 3rd through hdmi? not sure how it all works

Soldato
getting tempted by a 3rd one of these...

if i got one of the new ati cards do you run 2 through dvi then the 3rd through hdmi? not sure how it all works
2 Though DVI and one through DP, it works fine.

You then have the option to have 3x 1920x1200 or 5760x1200/3600x1920

Wide works well for racing mainly while tall takes a bit of getting used to but is better suited to fps/3ps, strat.

Associate
Ok so I bit and got myself a Dell U2410 (not from OcUK). There does appear to be a difference in colour between the left and the right side (might post a pic as soon as I get a hold of my dads camera).

Could this tint issue have anything to do with the coating they put on the monitor screen?

Associate
Ok so I bit and got myself a Dell U2410 (not from OcUK). There does appear to be a difference in colour between the left and the right side (might post a pic as soon as I get a hold of my dads camera).

Could this tint issue have anything to do with the coating they put on the monitor screen?

well, if you had read this thread from the first page you would have known about the tinting issue and the fact that it doesn't depend from the coating, you could have saved yourself £400 and gone for a monitor with lexx QC issues.
Is a rev A00 or rev A01?

Associate
I knew about the tinting issue from the beginning thanks to this thread :). I decided to get the monitor anyway to take a chance since I wanted to get an IPS panel and just couldnt wait that little bit longer for the HP ZR24W.

The monitor Ive got is rev A01 which I made sure to get so that I dont have dithering problems though I probably wouldnt have noticed that much anyway since Im not really monitor savvy, my old monitor is a viewsonic 17" (non widescreen).

Overall Im happy with the monitor despite the slight difference in colour (in my opinion) I dont think it is severe and dont notice it much unless i look for it.

Give me a few minutes and Ill try and get a good photo of the screen with a white background just to see how it compares to other peoples u2410 monitor.

* EDIT *

Last edited:
Associate
There are no dead/stuck pixels. The colour tinting is hard to notice unless you look for it on a white screen so this I can live with since Im not using the monitor for photo editing or such.

Ill see how it goes for the next few days, if im happy ill stick with it. If not Ive always got the 7 days DSR to fall back on.

Associate
I've owned this screen for just under a week now and must say I like it. I've been reading up on the colour profiles etc (never looked into this before) and would like to know if the colour profiles will effect gaming in any way? i.e. if I use the latest Beta profile, run the screen in Game Mode and then boot up, say, Mass Effect 2 will the profile still be controlling the colours or will the game take over a render the profile inactive?

Thanks!
The game will take over and render the profile inactive. Although Microsoft included colour management support in Windows, the only thing included with Windows, which uses it by default, is Windows Photo Viewer. The desktop and any ordinary desktop apps cannot use it (even though it looked like they were promising support for this in Windows 7), and nor will Direct X.. IE Games.

To support the profile an app must specifically include support for colour management. Although there's not too many that do (other than the obvious pro graphics apps like Photoshop), some important apps like Firefox also include support. If you go to about:config in Firefox, change gfx.color_management.mode to 1, and point gfx.color_management.display_profile to the place where your ICM file is, when you restart Firefox will render everything like you were in sRGB mode, even though you're actually in Game Mode.

So if all someone did is mainly browse the web and game it could make it more viable for them to leave the U2410 in Game Mode all the time. The caveat, which I tried to explain at length in a post on the previous page, is that it's throwing away several million colours to achieve this look on a wide gamut 8 bit panel like the U2410. The only way to avoid it is either not to use an ICM and live with the wide gamut, buy an ordinary sRGB screen instead (which doesn't need an ICM file to limit its gamut), or get a graphics card and screen which supports 10 bit colour, then hope the app you're using supports 10 bit colour. You'll probably be waiting a while (as in years probably, or at least until the next version of Windows) to see games using this stuff..

Associate
Overall Im happy with the monitor despite the slight difference in colour (in my opinion) I dont think it is severe and dont notice it much unless i look for it.
I can't see it at all based on your photo, although it's quite hard to photograph especially in milder cases.

The question really is do you need to go looking for the tint or does it come looking for you? If it comes looking for you (IE you're trying to ignore it but can't) then it's perhaps best not to try to live with it. Otherwise you can also try tweaking the gain settings in custom mode for any red/green/blue tint you have. If your case is mild enough you should be able to remove most perception of tints whilst keeping the gain values above 95.. Again this is only works in the mildest cases (which can probably be defined by cases where it's difficult to spot on white, and not that bad even on medium/lighter grey shades). So it's worth trying if you think the tint is mild..

Associate

Cheers MKay, just what I wanted to know. I've been playing about even more and am now very happy with the way my screen is setup. I've put it in Custom Colour mode, left everything as it was apart from reducing the green gain down to 93 and green offset down to 45, brightness at 40 and contrast at 55. Colours are now vivid, looking very close to my old 20WGX2.

I'm not worried too much about them being totally accurate, but am loving how nice Mass Effect 2 is looking! :D

Soldato
I recently received an A01 revison. No tinting, no dithering and no backlight bleed whatsoever. Colours and viewing angles are so much better than my old TN screen, and I do not notice the drop from 2ms to 6ms response times during gaming. Almost every line on my calibration sheet is well below 2 so I guess I got a good one.

Back
Top Bottom