*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate

Edit: BTW.. to confirm A02, it should show as M1F193 in the top right of the Innolux Factory Menu in the U2410's factory test mode.

Accessing the Factory Menu:
Power off the screen. Now hold the Brightness/Menu buttons quite firm. Now power on, and the buttons will light up like normal. When the lights reach the top (the Presets Mode button) you're still holding down all this time.. you don't let go of brightness/menu. The Presets Mode light will then turn off and back on again. When that happens all the button lights now stay lit - When it does that you're in test mode. You use the presets button to bring up the Factory Menu on the left side of the screen.

I've tried for the past 15mins to get the Factory Menu to show up exactly as you say without the light for the Preset Mode button lighting back up whilst pressing hard - it just lights up as normal even though I can feel the buttons are pressed in. Odd! It could be that some U2410's have this hidden option turned off, as changing the options there could be the source of other peoples problems.

Associate
MJM,

its 410 on another site and with A02 ? why the price increase,

Depends where the other site gets their stock from as some could be grey imports not up to UK standards, have poor/no customer service, or actually a returned unit. If you don't know the site very well, don't buy whatsoever. The average price for a standard REV A00 is £460, anything below this as REV A02 seems too good to be true.

I should also add that some shops now are having difficulty in getting stock in for the 2410 - OCUK has stock - which means having to source from all over, this only adds to the delay in you receiving the order.

Last edited:
Soldato
It took me ages to get into the service menu but if you keep trying you will get it right. Mines running over hdmi but the problem was with both the factory shipped A01 and the upgraded A02 firmware. Iv not used displayport since selling my gaming rig as new itx has onboard video. Tbh i cant remember if i had the problem with any other input. Its not something I would bother returning it right now but in the future it maybe possible.

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried for the past 15mins to get the Factory Menu to show up exactly as you say without the light for the Preset Mode button lighting back up whilst pressing hard - it just lights up as normal even though I can feel the buttons are pressed in. Odd! It could be that some U2410's have this hidden option turned off, as changing the options there could be the source of other peoples problems.
Unlikely. Much more likely is that the capacitive touch buttons are a PITA to trigger properly. It easily took me over 10 minutes the first time to do it and, even now I know how, it'd probably take me a dozen attempts to get it right ;)

Try pressing harder - Not too hard, but to the point where the screen starts to rotate on its stand and you need to stop it with the other hand. Also make sure your fingers are at an angle that are well clear of all the other buttons.

Associate
Thanks MKay, took me this millionth attempt to get the menu on that appears on the lefthand-side. Pressing harder got it to appear.

You said that the firmware on yours (REV A02) shows up as M1F193 in the hidden menu. Mine says Dell U2410, Panel: Y947N, M1F193. So its the same :)

On another note, the price of the Dell U2410 REV A02 has gone up again to £587.49 inc VAT, nice how its rounded up to £499.99 ex VAT. Will be great when a new model comes out to help those not wanting to pay that price, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Associate
every time I check this thread the price of this screen has increased.

A01 no longer for sale it seems?

EDIT:

Thinking of getting 2 of these and an ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm mount for them.

Questions though.

Will the monitors auto detect when they are rotated to portrait?

Is it better to change the orientation of one of the LCDs to portrait using the settings on the graphics card OR is it better to change it to portrait in the settings on the monitor itself?

Last edited:
Associate

1. Onwards and upwards unfortunately, that's the UK for you. OCUK took it upon themselves to update them and there hasn't been any serious issues - none with mine anyway. If there were more serious competition and know how upgrading firmware, other shops would compete.

2. OCUK only did A00 from what I recall, then A02 once it was available for updating. Once they starting selling A02's, shortly after they discontinued doing early firmware models. Maybe they were discontinued as there would be a huge price gap now with A00 on their own shop as OCUK would have to keep in touch with other store prices. People would look at the price and come to the commonsense conclusion that it maybe isn't worth the extra. Remember the average for standard Dell U2410's is around £460 from respected shops.

Associate

EDIT:

Thinking of getting 2 of these and an ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm mount for them.

Questions though.

Will the monitors auto detect when they are rotated to portrait?

Is it better to change the orientation of one of the LCDs to portrait using the settings on the graphics card OR is it better to change it to portrait in the settings on the monitor itself?
As far as I know, Dell are rolling out Rev A04 now. No idea what the chances are though as people are still complaining about either tinting or backlight uniformity issues

The U2410 doesn't have the ability to auto rotate nor is there an option to rotate the picture in the monitor's OSD. You have to do in manually via your graphics card control panel or use something like iRotate.

Associate
Anybody swapped a faulty unit out recently are they still sending out dodgy refurbs?

I've got a unit here had it for a while but its got a stuck pixel and a couple of thunderbugs stuck behind it and i'm considering getting it swapped over.

Associate
Just noticed another seller has received U2410 stock (£481.75) and they are REV A05 Not sure what the difference is between A04 and A05

As far as I know A02 corrected the colour tinting issue A04 corrected the display port issue

I'm very tempted Gibbo when will OCUK get A05 at a better price?

Associate
Just noticed another seller has received U2410 stock (£481.75) and they are REV A05 Not sure what the difference is between A04 and A05

As far as I know A02 corrected the colour tinting issue A04 corrected the display port issue
There is NO fix for tint issues, and there never will be, other than for LG to perfect their panel making process (unlikely). All Dell can do is either pay LG to sort panels with tighter colour gradation tolerances (this would be cost prohibitive for anything but ultra high end medical displays etc) or do what others do and implement corrective circuitry to compensate for LG's manufacturing flaws and provide a more uniform screen. NEC do this with "Colorcomp" and Eizo do this with "DUE". Dell do not do this with their screens, thus many of their IPS screens will always be subject to tint problems until the day that they do. So there is no "tint" fix, and there never will be unless LG can solve their IPS manufacturing issues or Dell implement uniformity controls.

To be clear - ALL IPS displays suffer this issue to some degree. It's probably more noticeable on the U2410 purely because of its very wide colour gamut, which makes the colour more vivid, but also makes any colour flaws present during manufacturing stand out more (if they are there). That's also why people report pink/green tints more when blue tint is likely to be just as common. It's the one major caveat against the U2410, and any IPS screen which does not feature uniformity correction controls. If you think this will be an issue for you then look at NEC/Eizo's screens. Otherwise prepare to enter the panel lottery process. In my experience around half of U2410's suffer the problem to some degree you can notice, but it's important to know a large percentage of users seem not to notice the problem (and would probably be as well served by a TN based panel if if that's the case).

As for fixes
A00 Was the original firmware
A01 Fixed the LUT "grainy black" issue under Adobe / sRGB mode, and makes values below RGB 6 visible again. Improves image quality to a noticeable degree.
A02 changes.. Improved grainy issue in analogue input video modes by modifying the sharpness table, Removed the unwanted black bar in pivot OSD, Resolved DisplayPort audio mute issue, Modify and standardize the DisplayPort power save sleep/wake scheme.

Any further changes are currently unknown..

Last edited:
Soldato
I see the point you are trying to make, but colour evenness of a 24 inch TN panel is significantly worse than most cases of 'tinting' on the U2410. Granted it's unacceptable for a high-quality IPS monitor costing this much to deliver sub-par colour consistency across the screen but it's not a hugely widespread problem and most cases are minor. For most uses the minor tinting does not present a real problem and given the overall brilliance of the colour reproduction most people would ignore or forgive these flaws. I have supplied a number of U2410s to educational establishments (mainly revision A02) so I speak from experience about the commonality of the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
so if this monitor has tining issues that cant be fixed then why not just buy a cheaper TN panel for half the price and no tinting issues then?

Because a TN panel comes with issues built in to the technology. First, it's 6 bit colour. "Simulated" 8 bit dither or not, in colour rich content it just doesn't look as good in my opinion Vs the IPS true 8 bit (256 values for R,G and B). It doesn't stop there either. In content with fine detail in shadowed area it's much more common that detail will be lost in black areas, or will be "blown out" in white areas Vs a good IPS panel.

Worst of all is the viewing angles. Full screen an image like the Lagom angle test ( http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php ). The screen is supposed to be a uniform shade of grey, and the word "Lagom" is supposed to be very difficult to see (if your gamma is 2.2).

It'd be fine if it were just in "theoretical test images", but plenty of people can spot the colour shift if you even move your head even slightly during ordinary usage. Plus, the larger the screen, and the closer you sit, the worse the TN angle problem tends to get. Sitting directly in front of a 24" TN screen, if you look carefully, you should see the colours at the top of the screen are a slightly different shade from the bottom (lighter Vs darker). Of course, go way off axis and it starts to turn either super dull or inverted nuclear neon :)

If stuff like the above doesn't bother you then definitely go with TN - It's got a better pixel response time for things like gaming anyway. If it bothers you then you're more-or-less stuck with IPS. I'm also very happy with my u2410, and have been for nearly 18 months. So there are plenty of screens out there which are free of any uniformity "tint" issues too. At least you have that chance. With TN you're stuck with the problems because it's part of what TN is, rather than anything to do with manufacturing consistency :) Plus, as has been said, there's ways to fix this issue. It's just that (currently) it's only available on screens aimed at the professional photography/ graphics market. I would hope it will filter down to higher end consumer at some point.

Soldato
dell swap it on your door step? or u got to send it back to them first? also, if i buy it from somewhere other then dell, do i get 3 year warranty for tinting issues?

providing i buy it from ocuk and other similar well known established online retailers?

As soon as i buy it and open and turn it on, if their are no tinting issues am i safe for good or does this tinting issue actually appear gradually or something?

Back
Top Bottom