*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
just to add....i see OCUK has increased the price of this yet again to £539.99....how the hell a company can increase the price of a product by £100 in a few weeks is beyond me...talk about ripping off your customers guys! Nobody can say its because stock prices have gone up because it's been showing there's more than 10+ stock for weeks so you must have the stock already. Glad i've ordered elsewhere

Soldato
just to add....i see OCUK has increased the price of this yet again to £539.99....how the hell a company can increase the price of a product by £100 in a few weeks is beyond me...talk about ripping off your customers guys! Nobody can say its because stock prices have gone up because it's been showing there's more than 10+ stock for weeks so you must have the stock already. Glad i've ordered elsewhere

now you know why i dont buy from ocuk. and why pay £539.99 for this monitor where you can pay less for the U2711 one. pathetic to a whole new level

Associate

I guess we were praising the monitor a little bit too much that the price goes up on each praise! Keep an eye on the price come the VAT increase. And if I were to decide on a new monitor now, I would certainly be priced out of buying from here which is a shame. If you don't want the REV A02, then the standard unit is £469.99 from OCUK.

The Euro Dell website has the U2410 for £703.83, and the U2711 is £821.33. Cheapest I found for the U2711 was £599.99 and that wasn't from Dell. Done the Google Products search so no idea how you can get the U2711 cheaper than the U2410 brand new.

Associate
U2410's are in constraint from Dell at the mo I had a back order on for work for 4pcs placed 15th November the order date has slipped 3 times and the latest to 7th February! this is why they are offering the U2711 for £520 on the small biz page , the problem for us is the text size is too small due to the dot pitch, so we're hanging out for U2410's and hanging being the correct term!

This probably explains the price hike also on the U24's

Soldato
I guess we were praising the monitor a little bit too much that the price goes up on each praise! Keep an eye on the price come the VAT increase. And if I were to decide on a new monitor now, I would certainly be priced out of buying from here which is a shame. If you don't want the REV A02, then the standard unit is £469.99 from OCUK.

The Euro Dell website has the U2410 for £703.83, and the U2711 is £821.33. Cheapest I found for the U2711 was £599.99 and that wasn't from Dell. Done the Google Products search so no idea how you can get the U2711 cheaper than the U2410 brand new.

I think it was from dell using quidco.

Associate
Has the price of this monitor dramatically increased recently?

I was looking at one a couple of months ago and it was just about affordable, but now it's well over £500, which I am sure is more than it was!

Yip! It used to be £449 before it got REV A02 a little while back. Then it was £499 (sale price was £469 when I bought it 2 months ago from here) and its now £549. Ouch!

The original monitor (no updates) is nearly £100 cheaper; currently OCUK don't seem to give you choice of buying that monitor to save cash, so use Google products to source it.

Soldato
Pretty certain that would void the warranty even if you could, unless Dell support doing so. Much easier to just get Dell to swap out the monitor if it has issues the A02 revision solves, did so yesterday, panel was swapped today with a brand new one.

Associate
If there is one annoying issue with this AMAZING monitor, its the energy saving function that sometimes kicks in and doesn't seem to wake up on pressing the U2410's power button, keys or mouse. My monitor doesn't have a power saving plan in Vista power management or anything else in BIOS.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

What doesn't work....
The issue means I have to hard-restart the PC - which I don't like doing - and trying to get the monitor to wake up that way. Tried unplugging the U2410 DisplayPort and plugging it back in to wake up the signal but didn't work. Even doing the same with the power didn't work. Auto-detecting the signal doesn't work or selecting DVI, then DP doesn't work.

Associate
Mine does that when its been sleeping sometimes. I thought this was my PC been unstable and not the screen.

Thanks for your reply, thought something untoward was going on with the monitor in this instance. This PC is always stable and has been fine with my trusty old Asus MW221u connected via DVI, never lost the display via energy saving mode (as previously mentioned) only with this Dell so it would be great IF I could turn it off completely. I should add that I don't have any USB cables connected to this monitor that could be causing this odd behaviour. Unless its an issue with the fact I'm using DisplayPort, that's the only difference. Is that how your Dell is connected to your PC?

I know my U2410f is REV A02 because it says so on the slide out plate and says Sept 2010. AID64 is showing the manufacturer date as Week 40, 2010 and nothing else to suggest the firmware. I found people with REV A00 and Apple combo were having far worse problems with the Dell's continuously turning off.

I did a quick search on Dell forums and came up with this person having issues with the display not waking up, even from restarting the PC. I don't have that issue but now I know it could be worse! Other posts mention the issue is related to the PC going to sleep, but the PC isn't set to do that. I've a brand new monitor (2 months old) and would absolutely hate to send it back with this minor issue. Moreso because it would come back as a refurb rather than repaired from what I've read in these forums in previous models. If this issue gets worse - as its bearable at the moment - I'll get in touch with Dell and post back with the update for others here.

Associate
If there is one annoying issue with this AMAZING monitor, its the energy saving function that sometimes kicks in and doesn't seem to wake up on pressing the U2410's power button, keys or mouse. My monitor doesn't have a power saving plan in Vista power management or anything else in BIOS.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
There are Display Port power management issues. A02 supposedly contained fixes for many of them, but (if you're using A02 and it's still giving you issues) I'd recommend you use the DVI input.

Otherwise it's just Vista in combination with your graphics card drivers and whatever. The screen never fails to wake up for me on Windows 7 via DVI, but Windows itself is really bad at resuming properly from sleep mode. Whilst it (mostly) works, I've had it hang quite a few times, requiring a hard reboot. Even OSX, where Apple are dealing with known hardware, has similar reliability issues from sleep / resume on some of its hardware.

Edit: BTW.. to confirm A02, it should show as M1F193 in the top right of the Innolux Factory Menu in the U2410's factory test mode.

Accessing the Factory Menu:
Power off the screen. Now hold the Brightness/Menu buttons quite firm. Now power on, and the buttons will light up like normal. When the lights reach the top (the Presets Mode button) you're still holding down all this time.. you don't let go of brightness/menu. The Presets Mode light will then turn off and back on again. When that happens all the button lights now stay lit - When it does that you're in test mode. You use the presets button to bring up the Factory Menu on the left side of the screen.

As to the comments from some others above, whilst I think the U2410 is mostly great when you get one with good colour gradation (still the major caveat about this screen, and all IPS panels without corrective uniformity controls for that matter), I certainly wouldn't be paying the sorts of prices some are asking right now. No reason these monitors should cost beyond £400 when even Dell USA is selling them for the equivalent of £320 on offer right now. If you can't get a decent price then I'd definitely look at the HP ZR24W instead. The U2410 might be a bit better, but it's not £200 better IMO.

Some people are reporting an A04 firmware on panels shipped in December. Haven't seen reports on what it changes yet. For people running an earlier firmware, or worried about buying a screen with an older firmware, it is extremely simple to update your U2410 to A02, at least for those comfortable with things like flashing their motherboard BIOS etc, so the firmware version you get doesn't matter much. What matters more is your original box packaging has a Works Number so you can take advantage of any remaining warranty through Dell.

Hopefully someone at Dell will be kind enough to make any A04 firmware available to end users too, as they have been with both the A01 and A02 upgrades.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom