*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
do any owners find the power on/off button is really fussy? I was finding it didnt always want to turn it on, but now it just wont come on at all!! not sure if it's just my unit though

Nope, you're not the only one. I've kept quiet as I didn't buy mine from OCUK, but I had the same issue. After about 2 hours of use, mine wouldn't switch on at all, nothing. I phoned Dell about it and now have a replacement. This one looks perfect so far, touch wood.

I really hope this unit stays fault free as the image quality is truly stunning.

Man of Honour
Nope, you're not the only one. I've kept quiet as I didn't buy mine from OCUK, but I had the same issue. After about 2 hours of use, mine wouldn't switch on at all, nothing. I phoned Dell about it and now have a replacement. This one looks perfect so far, touch wood.

I really hope this unit stays fault free as the image quality is truly stunning.

very odd...i only turned it off by the button as i couldnt be bothered to disable the screen burn in feature which seems to stay on otherwise...now i cant get it to turn back on! i think I'll get back in touch with them!

edit: got it back on now, not turning it off again until i've finished reviewing it! :)

Associate
Have you still got the calibration reports Mkay?
They should still be on the PC (where I scanned). I'll try to look em out again over the weekend :)
How many people are seeing the green/pink tint problem?
Since it's the same panel as the HP lp2475w I'd be willing to bet it's exactly the same percentage of people in the U2410's case, or something very close to it.. So it's a minority for sure, but how much I don't know. You'd probably get a better idea reading the LP2425w threads right now..

What makes it harder to gauge is I'm sure, in certain cases, some people simply won't notice the problem. Although I guess it's true that the visually picky types are probably the ones who'll buy IPS over TN in the first place, so they may be more likely to notice than average :)

Associate
do any owners find the power on/off button is really fussy? I was finding it didnt always want to turn it on, but now it just wont come on at all!! not sure if it's just my unit though
It must be certain units. None of the U2410's I've come into contact with had any problem like that, although the other buttons do often require more than one attempt to register that you're pushing them. The main thing I found is, placed where it is right on the edge, it's easy to push the power button accidentally at first as the natural place you'd hold on to, when adjusting the viewing position of the panel, is the bottom corner.

Associate
He's the calibration report from the screen I got.

Green tint on the left, darker on the right.

calibreport.jpg

Any idea what the number for dell tech support is?

Last edited:
Associate
It's 0844 338 1000. Ask for the monitor department and you'll be transferred. Have the serial number (Pull out panel on the left of the U2410) ready. You don't need any other numbers, although they do expect you to know who purchased the screen from them (which often isn't who you bought the screen from :) )

It's an Indian call center, but the standard of English is better than usual, and the staff are always polite, although there's the usual varying levels of knowledge about things. If you want it replaced be sure to say you want a factory new panel, and not refurbished, although they tend to offer this automatically anyway if the screen is new.

As for the test, those numbers look very decent, so it's clear you can't tell about the green and pink tint problem from the Adobe and sRGB numbers. Curiously, it looks like they skipped the grey scale test at the bottom, and the gamma numbers look "odd" too. I'm curious if anyone's got one from a tester other than 200856 :)

Associate
So would this panel show a big difference in quality compared to the Samsung LED TN panel?
Depends on the person. Does it annoy the hell out of you when colours change a little when you move your head slightly, or when details in shadows get lost just because you sat back a bit more? If yes then it will make a big difference. Do you want to view the screen from angles, like maybe watching a movie or something, and have it look ok? If yes, then it will make a big difference. Do you want really good colours, and are ok with a screen being wide gamut? Then It'll make a nice difference..

If none of the above is true (and it isn't for a lot of people if sales of TN panels are anything to go by) then probably not. Only you can really answer whether it's worth the price difference to you. The main advantage of LED is that it's less prone to problems with uneven back lighting, which often makes dark/black background screens look terrible, and it uses a bit less power, and brightness is likely to fade much less over time. But the U2410's I've seen rivaled the LED backlit panels in terms of any light leakage.. they were very good, and the picture I posted was an accurate reflection of what I saw in a darkened room looking at a black screen.

The other advantage of TN is gaming. Although a 120Hz TN panel is still likely the best bet for serious online gamers, these panels have excellent ghost-free performance in fast games, and the input lag seems fairly usable if you play fast online games where things like ping and delay matters..

Associate
Well, for me. I don't even notice the difference between s-pva, ips and tn panels, especially when I game. I'd recommend a tn. Also, led backlite is good, but just doesn't worth the difference imo.

Associate
Ok i've got a replacement coming, they said can take upto 5 days because its a new unit.

Wonder how many it will take to get a unit without the green/pink tint!

Associate
Well, for me. I don't even notice the difference between s-pva, ips and tn panels, especially when I game. I'd recommend a tn. Also, led backlite is good, but just doesn't worth the difference imo.

I've been through quite a few TN's and the Nec Gaming monitor and this is by far the best I've used. I would have paid more had I known just what a difference it would make to my 360 & PS3... :D

Associate
Does the bottom LED/button (not the power button) on anyone elses unit pulse on and off at seemingly random timings during normal use?

I'm trying to work out what it's supposed to signify if anything :confused: It keeps catching my eye whilst I'm working and is starting to wind me up a bit. Really hoping it's not just this unit as aside from that, it's perfect.

Last edited:
Associate
Does the bottom LED/button (not the power button) on anyone elses unit pulse on and off at seemingly random timings during normal use?
Definitely did not notice that here. Keep in mind the button just above the power button uses capacitive touch, so you don't actually need to physically touch it to trigger it, so it's possible that something else is triggering it without you realizing it? If you're definite that's not what's happening then it sounds like an overly sensitive/faulty sensor.

Associate
Mkay how did you do the saturation test in photoshop?
Take a picture of the screen using a white background. Make sure it's not blown out (too light) or much darker than what you actually see in front of you. It doesn't have to be exact, and it most likely won't show any tint anyway, just get as close as you can.

Now, in Photoshop, load the picture and press Ctrl + U. It'll bring up the hue/saturation controls. Bump up the saturation and, like magic, if you've taken the photo properly, any tint issues you see should pop out on the photo.

Keep in mind that, even if your screen has pretty good whites, you'll still see a tint of some sort. You're not so much looking for that as you are looking for any major differences between different areas of the screen. If your white background is uniform then any tint should be pretty uniform too. If one part of the screen is tinted differently from the rest then that should show up as a different colour like green. If one area is brighter/darker then that will show up as a darker/brighter colour etc. It's just a way of magnifying the problem you see in front of your eyes.

My advice to people who don't see any tint is is not to go looking for it :) If you've got a screen that has it badly it'll be perfectly obvious to the naked eye anyway, without having to go looking for it :)

Are you getting another u2410?
I opted for a refund and will likely buy another U2410, yes. I was very happy with its performance. If Dell could get these green/pink tint ones out of the channel then there's very little bad I could say about it. If lightning manages to strike twice, in terms of bad luck with any issues, then I'd only take a look at the LG 26" IPS instead, which hopefully OC will do for under £500. I'm sure there's some other stuff on the horizon which will use IPS, but it doesn't seem like much of it will arrive this year, and I'm not in the mood to hold out another year :)

Associate
Just phoned Dell, they tried to diagnose it over the phone, that didn't work. Have to wait till Monday to see what they can do.

Why the **** didn't they just use physical buttons instead of poncey capacitive touch technology which hasn't been implemented properly. OK, it arguably looks better than buttons, but there is no tactility, it's inconsistent, and in my case, a bloody LED keeps flashing on and off when I'm trying to work!!!

If a technology is being replaced with a more expensive equivalent, at least ensure the functionality isn't compromised!

Rant over - for now :)

Associate
Cheers for the info mkay will post the results in a bit.

Hoping this tinting pro is far less on the dell than the hp.

Jagdesign - Have you got anything near the button of the monitor, I only have to wave my hands infront of the button and it lights up.

Back
Top Bottom