Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

Caporegime
OP
Thanks buddy :)

I was off Friday/Mon/Tues with that cold thing going around, so went in last night to do snatch again...

In short, it wasn't great, the build up felt fine, power snatches seemed good enough, I think I got a 45kg Snatch but soon as I went to 50 it just went to pot, got nothing, then after that I couldn't even get my working sets properly :(

Few things I noticed was I didn't seem to want to get myself under the bar properly, which is kinda the main aspect of snatch :p My wrist was gash despite wearing wraps (it appears to be getting worse now) and I wasn't on the main platform just on the other 'platform' if you can call it that, which isn't the most level of things and basically it's naff....I'm going to have to just be a bit more forward and say I need to use the platform, otherwise I just can't do things properly on the other one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Surely anyone who snatches should own the platform :)

Yeah, there is another guy who does Olympic work and he trains people there also which is annoying, particularly when they do squats there when there is a perfectly good Squat rack also....Doesn't help when it's that guy and the one who he's training is one of the gym owners :p

This is part of the reason I want my own house, I'd do what LiE has done and build my own separate building for my gym stuff...Although as much as I like going to the gym I don't know if I could train on my own at home without ambience :o Who knows?

Man of Honour
Yeah, there is another guy who does Olympic work and he trains people there also which is annoying, particularly when they do squats there when there is a perfectly good Squat rack also....Doesn't help when it's that guy and the one who he's training is one of the gym owners :p

This is part of the reason I want my own house, I'd do what LiE has done and build my own separate building for my gym stuff...Although as much as I like going to the gym I don't know if I could train on my own at home without ambience :o Who knows?

Training at home without the carnage of bro squats, banana-back deadlifts and cheatcurlz is so much better. :)

My PBs for squats and deads just happen at my work gym because:

a) They have enough plates;
b) The bars are much higher quality.

I only PB on snatches at home. :)

Caporegime
OP
Tuesday 7th April
*Bench: 62.5kg x 8,8,8
*Flat DB Bench: 24's x 12, 11. 22's x 12
*Inc. DB Bench: 20's x 12, 18's x 12,12.
*DB flyes: 6's x 12, 4's x 12,12.
*OH Rope: N6 x 15, 14, N5 x 15.
*Rope pull down: N4 x 15,15,15.

Something of April: legs
*RDL: 57.5kg x 8,8,8(s)
*Squat: 77.5kg x 6,6
*Offset deficit split squat: 30kg x 8,8,8

Friday 10th April: Snatch
*OH Squats: Bar, 30kg and 40kg
*Drop snatch: 30kg x 3, 40kg x 1
*Power Snatch: 45kg x 2,2,2

*Snatch(x1) > Hang snatch(x2):
-45kg:
-F,F, S/H/H
-S/H/H
-S/H/H

-50kg:
-F, S/H/H
-F,F,F
-F,F.

*Snatch Pulls: 50kg x 3, 60kg x 3, 65kg x 3, 70kg x 3,3
*Power cleans > Push press:
-45kg x 3
-50kg x 3,3

*Face Pulls: N6 x 15, N7 x 15,15.

At about the 4min mark its me bailing, followed by some terrible cleans. I must also admit that 1:50 is sexy.

Monday 13th April:
*Bench: 65kg x 8,8,7+1 assist
*DB Bench: 24's x 12,12,8
*Inc. DB Bench: 20's x 12,12,12 - long rests
*Flat flyes: 6's x 12,12,12
*OH Rope: N6 x 15,15, 12+N5 x 4
*Rope pull down: N5 x 15, N4 x 15,15

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Elaborate at which point on snatches? I agree on some I catch it high and then squat, which I'm aware of it's just something I need to work on :)

Agree with jerks, for some reason when I'm in the clean position (hands) it moves completely different than if I was in an OHP position which is annoying me, so may progress to split stance....not sure yet.

Man of Honour
Hips lower when you start so your torso is sliiiiiiiiiightly more upright. This will reduce the amount of forward travel of the bar when you engage the hip-erdrive and explode the bar up... meaning an easier catch and less bailing. :)

Second, a lot of people mistake the jerk for a quick OHP: it isn't (as you've discovered). If you imagine your arms are simply there to put your torso in the right place relative to the bar (i.e. drive you down and forward relative to the bar), you should be able to get on with it a bit better in your head.

End of the day: more reps + moar reps = better skillz. The best method I found to dea lwith this is two/three jerks per clean (once you've got the bar up there, you might as well use it efficiently...).

Caporegime
OP
I've been playing with butt position, I found having my butt too low just meant the first part of the lift was me getting in to a decent position, then of course I can start too high.... :D I'll work on it.

Jerk I agree, I'll try doing 2/3 per clean as you say, I guess I wanted to try drill the clean in to my head a bit. I can see much pain ahead :D I am finding my snatch days are getting longer, so may toy with the idea of doing something more weightlifter orientated as a whole programme, not sire yet as getting on the platform can be hard some days.

Man of Honour
This is where your lats come in and really start to work and hurt. :)

One of the things to practice when doing hangs is how much pull you feel in your lats when you descend to the hang position: you will know you are far enough over the bar when it feels like it is trying to rip your lats out. If you bear this in mind, finding those positions on the way up for the work from the floor becomes a lot easier.

What you can then work on is making sure your lats are involved in the second pull and drive phases (imagine drawing a j with your elbows: pulling bar back and then up as your legs do the lifting).

Jerks? It's all about the powaaaaaaaahs in the drive phase. Stability overhead is much easier in the split jerk, but power jerking is a great way to become familiar with the movement.

Caporegime
OP
Tuesday 14th April: Legs stuff
-Usual WU
-RDL: 60kg x 8, 6 - Had to stop here, back was playing up no end, so resorted to faster negatives/pauses.
-60kg x 8 - Better
-Squat: 80kg x 6, 6 - Again, faster negatives and pauses as my back was annoying me.
Offset Deficit Split Squats: 32kg x 8,8,8 - lawd :x

So, this week my back has been playing up a bit again, just a constant niggle during RDLs hence the faster negatives/pauses, which seemed to help.

----------------------

Thursday 16th April: Legs again
-Usual Warm up
-RDL: 62.5kg x 8,8,8 - Changed to 2/3 second negatives and pauses, good.
Squats: 82.5kg x 6, 6 - Again faster negatives and pauses.
Offset deficit split squats: 34kg x 8, 8, 8

Good session, back was a bit better, although it's had a constant niggle all this week and it's becoming annoying now, had to really tilt my pelvis this morning to get some sort of relief, just meh...Especially as it's been feeling good these last few weeks.

Caporegime
OP
Its okay, I'm still alive. (Who cares?)

Still lifting, just haven't logged for a while. Decoded to change to more of an Olympic approach to my training for the time being seeing as I'm not deadlifting.

So, some videos:

Associate
Its okay, I'm still alive. (Who cares?)

Missed you <3 Thank goodness you're back logging again. Snatches and cleans looking pretty good. Are you following anything in particular for your weightlifting training or just a rough template and basing it off what you feel is necessary for the day?

Caporegime
OP
Missed you <3 Thank goodness you're back logging again. Snatches and cleans looking pretty good. Are you following anything in particular for your weightlifting training or just a rough template and basing it off what you feel is necessary for the day?

Good to see I have one fan :D

Yeah they're getting better, recently started involving my shoulder and traps more in terms of pulling and it seems to help.

In terms of the routine its something mrthingy cobbled together for me.

Its basically lots of snatches Monday, lots of cleans Friday :D then everything else Wednesday!

Associate
Good to see I have one fan :D

Yeah they're getting better, recently started involving my shoulder and traps more in terms of pulling and it seems to help.

In terms of the routine its something mrthingy cobbled together for me.

Its basically lots of snatches Monday, lots of cleans Friday :D then everything else Wednesday!

Good to hear your shoulder is working nicely. I should have guess that mrthingy gave you a routine :p

How are your squats and front squats coming along?

Caporegime
OP
;)

I haven't touched front squats for a while as they was hurting my back a fair bit on the higher end, although I'm doing front squats when i clean theoretically...

Back squats are okay, they aren't amazing but I'm plugging on with them, they're something I've never been good at.

Back
Top Bottom