Delvis: weight lifting log - time to conquer

So many DOMs, so many feels.

Wondering what to donext week with regards to Saturdays antica coming up...think ill be shifting back training forward so I recover a bit better for the weekend.

Chest: Monday 14th Jan
  • Bench: 3 x 8 x 45kg
  • Inc DB Bench: 3 x 8 x 16's
  • Tri pull (tri stack machine): 18kg x 15, 15, 10
    S/S with
  • Tri Push (tri stack cable): 23kg x 10, 18kg x 12, 12.
  • Squats: bar x 10, 10. 40kg x 8.
  • Squats Paused: 60kg x 3, 70kg x 2, 80kg x 2, 90kg x 1, 100kg x 1.
  • Squats normal: 60kg x 10

Today bench press was nice, one point where my shoulder got impinged I think as it felt dead odd, all in all it feels okay though.

Wanted to do more leg work today with this weeks meet coming up but failed to squeeze in enough work, primarily because one of the PT's was hogging both bars, great.

Tuesday 14th Jan: Shoulders
  • PP: 37.5kg = 8, 8, 6+2
  • Arnold's: 14's x 10, 12's x 10, 10's x 14
    S/S with
  • X-Body Hammers: 3 x 12 x 14's
  • Side raises: 3 x 10's x 15
    S/S with
  • Curls: 3 x 12's x 12
  • Face pull (lat machine): 3 x 15 x 41.3kg

Erf, I thought PP was going to go terribly, obamanotbad.jpeg in the end.

Arnold's really weak this week, need to concentrate on reps, keep forgetting.

Side raises, weirdly my left shoulder didn't like these as much as my right considering my right is the dead one...

Face pulls, nom.

Even if failing the third set?

I was going to attempt 40kg anyway, these are getting towards 'bendy back territory' which I'm trying to avoid for obvious reasons :p

If you're struggling with a third set, then taper your workout to account for your 'reduced' work capacity with another set (yes, reducing the weight is always an option...?!).

So, instead of 3*8, you go 8-8-6-6. That way you get more volume in, anyway, and can cope with it safely. Sure, circulating lactate will be lower, as will growth hormone and whatever, but the practical difference this will make is not really statistically significant.

Sure, work back up to 3*8 if you want, but gains = gains, whatever structure they come from. :)

Controversially, I simply don't rate push press as a main exerciser. Great as a finisher when you want some added stress on your shoulders and more load, but as a movement I don't feel it's reliable enough. Some reps could be 50% leg drive, some could be 75% leg drive, some could be 30%. Not enough consistency for my liking, and think strict press should always be your main focus on a shoulder workout.

Controversially, I simply don't rate push press as a main exerciser. Great as a finisher when you want some added stress on your shoulders and more load, but as a movement I don't feel it's reliable enough. Some reps could be 50% leg drive, some could be 75% leg drive, some could be 30%. Not enough consistency for my liking, and think strict press should always be your main focus on a shoulder workout.

I can't do strict press due to the load on my shoulder at the bottom, otherwise I would do that. Hence why I also can't DB press heavy weights.

PP has actually allowed me to train shoulders for once.

Absolutely (just said this in another log thread... :confused: :D )....

The fun part, however, is getting the arms to adjust to moar load. Where, for instance, could I press out 85/90kg if I wasn't push-pressing? Sure, legs take the first X ROM out of the shoulders/tris, but the rest?

To be fair, Delvis is being quite conservative with his loading because (I'm guessing) he doesn't want to break himself.

Add in his inability to do anything in a ROM context (sorry, buddy!) and PP becomes one of a very small group of exercises he can notionally do. This does not, however, excuse him from trying to work on his respective impingements and resolve them for strict pressing.

This does not, however, excuse him from trying to work on his respective impingements and resolve them for strict pressing.

I have been, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I am doing, bench for instance. Hell, you know what rotation work I've been doing.

I'm happy to NOT be doing strict press, if it's something I can't do I honestly don't care, my shoulders are getting a workout at the end of the day which hasn't happened since I started training pretty much, so I'm happy.

I have been, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do half the stuff I am doing, bench for instance. Hell, you know what rotation work I've been doing.

I'm happy to NOT be doing strict press, if it's something I can't do I honestly don't care, my shoulders are getting a workout at the end of the day which hasn't happened since I started training pretty much, so I'm happy.

As far as I am concerned: whatever works. You are working shoulders, so that's the important thing! :)

I don't think PP just removes X of the ROM though, as the amount of momentum the bar carries from hip drive is removing the tension from the majority of the rep.

If missing the small amount of ROM is the issue, I'd be working on pin pressing for OHP.

I don't think PP just removes X of the ROM though, as the amount of momentum the bar carries from hip drive is removing the tension from the majority of the rep.

If missing the small amount of ROM is the issue, I'd be working on pin pressing for OHP.

It depends on the lifter, at the end of the day... if they feel they are getting worked, then great. If not, then that's up to them and their lack of gains. It can be a lot of legs, or it can be mostly arms. As it gets heavy, the drive is just to clear the bar from the shoulders...

I will be poking Delvis on Saturday to see what he's doing. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom