Denis@home team challenge: 31st Oct - 7th Nov

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Someone needs to tell that seti.usa team that Denis is not an alien lifeform and thus they don't need to use resources to find it :p

Associate
Borg'd the gf's laptop tonight using the SSE4.1 optimized app, every little helps. Anyone want to buy an SR-2? I don't have room to fire it up :p (not a serious offer in case a mod sees this, I'm not trying to sell outside the MM!)

B1ng, PDW posted some handy instructions for Linux elsewhere in the thread:

Welcome aboard saah :)

I turned a Windows machine back to Ubuntu as it is only 32 bit to run the SSE41 app from Crunch3r...

I used the instructions from m4gu5 on the DENIS forum but after pasting the linux (32 bit) SSE41 link into the browser I let Ubuntu Package Manager download and extract the files for me, then

1. Opened up a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T)
2. Change to the directory where the downloaded/extracted files are

3. Open a root shell to be able to access the BOINC data directory
$ sudo -s

4. Move the files to your BOINC data directory
# mv * /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/denis.usj.es_denisathome/

5. Change owner of files to user and group boinc to enable access for BOINC
# chown -R boinc:boinc /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/denis.usj.es_denisathome

6. Restart BOINC
# /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart

7. Exit the shell
# exit

$ exit

If you don't have a package manager that offers to download/extract then you'll need to download and use the tar command according to the instructions given in the link MGP posted

I followed those, worked for me! If you struggle then shout up.

Soldato
OP
No joy! :(

Having copied the files and changed the ownership as described, I get 'Computation error' for all WU's. Deleting the two files fixes it.

That usually happens when you use an app your CPU doesn't support, looking at your CPU you want the sse3 version (not sse4.1).
Code:
http://www.boincunited.org/opt_apps/denis/denis_1.05_x86_64-pc-linux-gnu__sse3_v3.tar.bz2

Soldato
OP
Anything I can do? I tried an update but no go.

In the boinc client, click on the 'transfers' tab you should see lots of work units that have failed to upload, this can happen if the server is down, or if there's something wrong with your connection. It will say 'project back off' with a countdown timer which gets longer each time it fails to upload and can build up to several hours, try the 'retry now' tab and see if they now upload.

Associate
Ah ha - thanks for that. Seems the default install yesterday had a restricted network schedule. The error message could have been a bit more descriptive. Uploads now in progress, hopefully I'll get some new work again.

Edit: Yup we're up and running again. Off to check the other rig won't suffer the same fate.

Edit 2: Yup the other PC had the same restriction but fortunately was still happily processing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
sekret.gif

Back
Top Bottom