1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENIS

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by PDW, Sep 1, 2015.

1. hanluc

Mobster

Quick google image search of both his processors CPU-Z screenshots show that they both support sse4.1.

2. PDW

Wise Guy

Yes, possibly for the SSE3 one but would expect Crunch3r's SSE41 app to be faster for a processor with SSE4.1

3. currob

Hitman

4. PDW

Wise Guy

You are right :)

Too busy looking for AVX2 first time round :o

5. Streetlight

Hitman

sorry to be a pain...

what will I need for 9590 and 2450M?

am sure I have sorted my 5930k out by using avx2

6. MGP

Mobster

I think I've resurrected the 64P cruncher, but want to see some WUs validate before I count any chickens .....

This has to run linux as I'm not rich enough for a Windows server version that recognises 4 CPUs. But currently each WU is going to take nearly 4 hours to complete. :eek: If it remains like that it's not going to be kept running, just too inefficient compared to the optimised Windows client.

Now I'm a real numpty when it comes to Linux, and have to be spoon fed explicit instructions.

Looking at the optimisation thread over on Denis there are a number of versions for Linux files available: http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53&postid=550#550
    Which do I need for the machine spec: http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/show_host_detail.php?hostid=47767 ?

I hope that install will be as simple as http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53&postid=498#498 of things will go FUBAR very very quickly.

7. PDW

Wise Guy

Yes, 5930k is flying :)

For the other two, use the SSE41 version I listed in post 139 above. Right-click on the link to copy it and then paste into a new window to download the zip file.

8. PDW

Wise Guy

I think you want the SSE41 version, I found this...

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 21
    model : 1
    model name : AMD Eng Sample, ZS222445TGG44_32/22/2_2/16
    stepping : 0
    microcode : 0x6000425
    cpu MHz : 2200.107
    cache size : 2048 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings : 16
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 8
    apicid : 32
    initial apicid : 0
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid amd_dcm aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold

9. hanluc

Mobster

They are 6274 Opterons socket G34, which supports sse4.1.
    I would guess that your OS is 64 bit but if you don't know ' uname -a ' in the terminal will tell you.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. MGP

Mobster

Thanks all. I think I've got the optimised thingy loaded. Certainly the expected ruin time dropped but it's still over an hour per WU. On the other hand 64 WUs an hour is probably quite nice ;)

I'll let it run just a few WUs over night and then check how many validate before going any further.

11. hanluc

Mobster

Looking good!
    No invalids, each WU took around 22mins, earning around 58pts each, that's a ppd of 242,967! :)

12. MGP

Mobster

Yay. :D

I'll fire it up properly tonight ready for the challenge thingy. That's assuming there are WUs left to be done. Looking at Denis' server status the waiting WU numbers have dropped dramatically in 24 hours.

13. PDW

Wise Guy

A load more tasks just got added to the queue :D

14. MGP

Mobster

That's good :)

When I looked only a few minutes ago it was less than 2,000 :eek: Yesterday I'm sure there had been over 250K available so that's a lot of stuff crunched even before the challenge brings all the extra firepower.

15. colinmcr

Wise Guy

Mine should be back on now, I'm back in India until 26th Nov btw so have no control over my output just have to be sweet to the wife.

16. Boycie

Wise Guy

Am I looking good? I've been travelling almost everyday the last week so i've not been able to tend the flock. I'm still only getting ~70% CPU utilisation in task manager but there are definitely 40 threads per machine running :confused:

B

17. PDW

Wise Guy

Looking very good :)

You've gone from 208k credit on Friday to 309k yesterday and to 409k today, some of today's is a result of bunkering so your number of validation pending tasks will have dropped.

What has happened to the other machines, have you had to let users use those :eek:

18. hanluc

Mobster

Sorry I missed this post, so much going on!
    Yes, as PDW has said you are doing a lot better, But why are you only doing 70% CPU utilisation? is it deliberate? If not make sure in the boinc client (options/computer preferences/usage limits) you have 'use at most 100% CPU time'. It is 100% by default but maybe you altered it by mistake. If not that then I don't know.

19. Voicon

Wise Guy

Sorry ozaudio only just seen your emails, I don't have the time to sort this out at the moment sadly.

20. PDW

Wise Guy

Just a heads up for those still running DENIS, they haven't been feeding the server so you are probably running out of tasks if you haven't already. Guess they are just doing some housekeeping following all the data they collected during the challenge.

No information yet on when new tasks will be added.