1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENIS

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by PDW, Sep 1, 2015.

1. andy_taximan

Wise Guy

the quick wu`s are finished it seems, chucking longer taking jobs at me all day, up to 20mins now each

2. currob

Hitman

That's a good thing I reckon. I'm sure some of the issues have been caused by the insanely fast turnarounds since the optimized app :)

3. hamesy

Wise Guy

Doesn't work unfortunately. My guess is it's looking at the file itself and what it does rather than the filename.

4. currob

Hitman

Just noticed your location hamesy, i'm just up the road in gridlocked Stafford :)

5. hamesy

Wise Guy

Nice to see someone local :)

6. currob

Hitman

Now I'm getting a little confused with all the new optimizations/apps. I'm currently using sesefs latest app but crunch3r has some new ones out:

[​IMG]

Which one are you using PDW ? Do you know which is best ? I can't seem to find any more information anywhere. :confused:

7. PDW

Wise Guy

I'm using Sesef's app but have scaled back for the moment.

I have tried Crunch3r's app on linux and it's obviously much faster than the stock code but is slower than running Sesef's on Windows. I did read a thread on the Denis site about a comparison and IIRC Sesef's is the one to use for Windows.

Will need to get all my boxes changed over to Windows in time for the challenge :D

8. currob

Hitman

I saw that one i think, then a little later on, crunch3r's new revised app appeared with sse4.1 and that's what confused me but from what you're saying I'll stick with sesef's then :)

Just wanted to make sure I get the max possible for the challenge and soooo close to 100k rac :)

9. currob

Hitman

Congrats Boycie: 200k rac !! :)

10. hanluc

Mobster

On the short tasks, I found the sse4.1 to be slightly quicker than the lastest sesef's one, about 6-7 seconds, I was doing 3m 15s on crunch3rs and 3m 22s on the other. Not tried it on the longer ones. This was on a 2700K @4.7ghz

11. currob

Hitman

That's good to know then, if the difference is so little then I'll definitely leave my apps well alone, finally have 4 machines running the sesef's apps with none of my previous issues. Keeping around 4 to 6hrs of tasks and communicating with the servers every 2 hours (ish).

12. ozaudio

Mobster

I see texes connection joined. He helped last time in pots aswell I remember

13. hanluc

Mobster

New sesef AVX2 version released, just about to try it out now.

EDIT: AVX2 version gives me immediate computation errors (3770K)

DOH! Ivybridge doesn't support AVX2 :o I'll try it on Haswell.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  14. currob

Hitman

Ooooh, can't wait to hear what you think of it :)

15. hanluc

Mobster

Haswell CPU@2.577ghz

sse4.1 = 10 mins per WU average.
    AVX2= 9mins 17 secs average.

9.2% increase.

As long as they validate OK, well worth changing.

16. andy_taximan

Wise Guy

Trying it now

17. currob

Hitman

That's decent :)

18. ozaudio

Mobster

seem to be getting a large backlog of " awaiting validation " of work units, its been going up each day, over 300 now.

19. currob

Hitman

Still sitting in the client task list on your pc?

Just looked at my tasks page on denis site; i have 1077 validation pending ! :(

I started a thread on denis forum here Andy: http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=78#594

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  20. divebod

Gangster

I've switched my CPU across from F@H to DENIS. Got it set up and running with the SESEF optimised app running (I think). It's generating 4 tasks and each is taking about 2 hours to complete. Does this seem right? The CPU is i5 4690k at stock. I have set one core in F@H to fold for the GPU reporting there.

The two files are in correct directory (Programdata\BOINC\projects\denis....\

Thanks for any advice.