Design a day (56k unfriendly)

Boz

Boz

Associate
ooo nice vector'ish start there nim - i like the detail on the clothing and the interesting colour gradient (may have to borrow that one off you :p )

which stock photo did u use for it?

rout3r - there are some tutorials floating around but most of it comes form looking at other people's work and trying to copy their style and then blend it in with our own. if u have a basic grasp of what the tools do in photoshop, you could be able to try and copy some of the techniques used in other works.

Associate
Originally posted by Boz
rout3r - there are some tutorials floating around but most of it comes form looking at other people's work and trying to copy their style and then blend it in with our own. if u have a basic grasp of what the tools do in photoshop, you could be able to try and copy some of the techniques used in other works.

I've done a few, but nothing good enough to post on here yet ;)

I'd be interested to know how you did the first one you posted on here Boz ;)

Soldato
is that where you get all your female pics from(deviantart)? because google is useless at finding decent model kind of pics just naked people:p

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry for another question(im making one atm) how are you making the images so simplified,like your last one,nimzicki ,ive tried several filters but I cant get it to look as 2d as yours,if you dont mind letting your secrets out:p

Soldato
OP
As a general rule of thumb, avoid the filters that photoshop provides. You will get a far more professional look through the correct use of basic tools such as the layer modes, brushes, gradients, lassoo etc.

The effect above is achieved through not actually manipulating the photo directly. Working on a layer above the photo I basically trace over it using the polygonal lassoo tool then filling it with the desired colour. With a bit more patience which I have to say, I dont have you can get a really detailed piece just through the placement of highlights etc. :p

The background is a simple gradient, the other 2d elements are a mix of rectangular marquees and the line tool, text etc.

Boz's work takes it a step further through the addition of textures on top. Its a case of finding what works for you, graphic design is reliant on a good sense of colour and composition more than anything, each of the elements of the piece must compliment each other in some way or they become needless clutter.

Associate
hmm once i get the time i need to post in here :D
i have just started doing more vector stuff.. i usually do it in flash as im used to using it. what are most of u guys using, illustrator.. or just photoshop?
i assume most are just purely vector

Soldato
Originally posted by Qeffects
hmm once i get the time i need to post in here :D
i have just started doing more vector stuff.. i usually do it in flash as im used to using it. what are most of u guys using, illustrator.. or just photoshop?
i assume most are just purely vector
The pen tool is your friend. Once you understand how to use the pen tool properly you will be sorted.

I use illustrator myself although haven't really had a go at any detailed vector stuff. Use more for logos etc.

Boz

Boz

Associate
i cheat and use the polygonal lasso - i just cant get my head around the pen tool :(

and i second nims post - try and avoid the filters. some of those do have uses though, like the radial blur which can be the start of some nice effects.

Soldato
Originally posted by Nimzicki
As a general rule of thumb, avoid the filters that photoshop provides. You will get a far more professional look through the correct use of basic tools such as the layer modes, brushes, gradients, lassoo etc.

The effect above is achieved through not actually manipulating the photo directly. Working on a layer above the photo I basically trace over it using the polygonal lassoo tool then filling it with the desired colour. With a bit more patience which I have to say, I dont have you can get a really detailed piece just through the placement of highlights etc. :p

The background is a simple gradient, the other 2d elements are a mix of rectangular marquees and the line tool, text etc.

Boz's work takes it a step further through the addition of textures on top. Its a case of finding what works for you, graphic design is reliant on a good sense of colour and composition more than anything, each of the elements of the piece must compliment each other in some way or they become needless clutter.

thats lovely thanks,seems pretty simple:confused: :D

Associate
i use the pen tool and then move the lines about etc and then do the fills and take away the lines
also sometimes i use my graphic pen tablet and draw with the pen that way

just wondering what u guys are prefered too.. i noticed a few of those were photoshopies tho.
vector is my hero :D

Boz

Boz

Associate
012.jpg

exams are over so i can actually start trying to do stuff. i nicked nim's colours for this one :D

more to come ;)

Last edited:

Boz

Boz

Associate
Originally posted by element
compressed or zipped psd's end up <1mb even <500k at times ;)

mine are usually quite big - anywhere from 5-12 megs and compression usually halves their size

nice start rob. you just need to smooth out some of the sections and perhaps a lighter skin tone would have looked better. as a general rule of thumb, i tend to avoid having to do faces - its very hard to get them to look natural, especially the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom