Design a day (56k unfriendly)

Associate
Originally posted by robmiller
Here's my first ever attempt at doing that sorta style:

emma.png

Any little tutorials on how you did that. Would love to learn how to that sorta style.

Soldato
Originally posted by Nimzicki
As a general rule of thumb, avoid the filters that photoshop provides. You will get a far more professional look through the correct use of basic tools such as the layer modes, brushes, gradients, lassoo etc.

The effect above is achieved through not actually manipulating the photo directly. Working on a layer above the photo I basically trace over it using the polygonal lassoo tool then filling it with the desired colour. With a bit more patience which I have to say, I dont have you can get a really detailed piece just through the placement of highlights etc. :p

The background is a simple gradient, the other 2d elements are a mix of rectangular marquees and the line tool, text etc.

Boz's work takes it a step further through the addition of textures on top. Its a case of finding what works for you, graphic design is reliant on a good sense of colour and composition more than anything, each of the elements of the piece must compliment each other in some way or they become needless clutter.

kinneh,thats basically how its done,as said by Nimzicki,and thats how im doing it atm,as Nimzicki said you do need a lot of patience,quite difficult:p

Associate
Originally posted by agentsmith_28
kinneh,thats basically how its done,as said by Nimzicki,and thats how im doing it atm,as Nimzicki said you do need a lot of patience,quite difficult:p

Ahh sorry, must have missed that post :]

thanks for pointing it out

Soldato
It's not difficult, you just need patience. It's great with the pen tool as you can delete anchor points if you go wrong and redo them. Just zoom in close and try and add as many points as you can - you can see in some places on mine that the curve is too jerky where I didn't add enough points :(

Associate
model.jpg

Well thats my first attempt, and also my first attempt using photoshop.
Can anyone give me adivce on how to make it better etc e.g. where to place shadows perhaps..

Boz

Boz

Associate
ooo good start people :)

now try adding some detail - i prefer to add the shadows rather than the highlights. skin especially can look a bit odd if u use both shadows and highlights on it, just one or just the other looks better imo

Soldato
how do you make things "fade"?like Nimzicki on this piece:
fade.jpg

where i've circles just wondered how you made it fade out,its probably something stupidly simple,but if you wouldn't mind helping me with it,

also if anybody doesn't ming sharing some psd's with me,that would be much appreciated:
email:
p1xel2 @ gmail.com (nice gmail account:D no spaces either in the addy)

Boz

Boz

Associate
it can either be the eraser with like 3-5% stroke strength or more likely the rectangular marqee with feathering

Permabanned
Hi there, im loving all the nifty photoshop work. Are there any reccommended tutorials for complete newbies at photoshop? And yes, I have seen the sticky but they do mostly seem oriented to the more advanced user.

thanks, b34ch3r

Back
Top Bottom