US: Designated Survivor

Underboss
I enjoyed it, was pretty annoyed that they are doing weekly releases instead of doing it all in 1 go. I like a binge watch.

I was fully expecting a full on Jack Bauer moment when he opened the curtains to see the fire ball.

Soldato
I quite liked it. Be interesting to see how it progresses.

Not a fan of weekly episodes :(.

Find I forget parts of the story between them.

Man of Honour
Its like if 24 was made in an alternate reality :D first episode was ok though lots of stuff felt a bit cliched, etc.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Feels too Americanised and kiefer should be gunning down 20 guys taken style within 38 minutes of the episode.

Soldato
Well it is about the American government of course it's going to be all patriotic :D.

Hopefully new episode today :). See if it gets better.

It's weekly because it's an ABC show, Netflix only have the rights to air each episode after ABC have aired them on their own channel.

Ahh ok that explains it.

Soldato
Actually really liked this - and not just because I think his wife in this is incredidly hot (although she looked better -of course - in Californication all those years ago)

This shows a lot of promise, hope it continues as such

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Ok, initial novelty "have you heard of designated survivor function" premise checks out, but where can it go long term? A too-cool-for-office parent solving political crisis of the week drama like "Madame Secretary" (cancelled)? An unlikely backbencher forced into office by circumstances solving internal coop of the week à la "Commander In Chief" (cancelled)? The-are-real-people-too "Dynasty in White House" family story as per "Political Animals" (cancelled)? This show is a perfect example of interesting pitch/pilot premise immediately hitting "now what" wall past the start point. Do you see what I mean?

Man of Honour
Yeah I did wonder if it had shot its bolt in the first episode - the premise is interesting but actually making a full length TV series let alone potential for sequels from it seem unlikely - we'll see I guess.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Well it is about the American government of course it's going to be all patriotic :D.

Course but it feels puke worthy:D seeing maggie q back again as a police officer is just silly again.

Maybe just use to underwood stabbing someone in the back (literally) at least that felt more real and honest lol

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Will it not now concentrate on who actually did the bombing now that are slowly introducing Maggie Q's character into it.

So add a dash of Quantico.

K.. a long term arc revealing step by step an organised internal (inside US) conspiracy that tried to overthrow democratic leaders to take over power but simply underestimated Jack Bauer-like "against all odds" management skills and leadership of our designated survivor. Could totally work, I'm in.

Soldato
After months of fighting President Kirkman stands in Kim Il-sung Square, amidst the smoking remains of a recent battle, and holds up the head of the defeated Kim Jong-un to the cameras and declares "This is for our fallen comrades. Victory is ours."

Just at that moment he begins to hear a faint 'beep' beep' 'beep' drifting in on the air and suddenly he awakens to find himself strapped to a metal table in a small darkly lit room, the only sound being the constant, repetitive beeping of the heart monitor attached to his chest. Looking around he sees various drips and other medical machinery, he tries to pull one from his arm but for some reason doesn't have the strength.

A dark shadowy figure wearing medical garb emerges from the corner of the room, "So Mr Bauer, it's been two years now and is this the day that you finally break and tell us the codes?" he says as he fiddles with the drip attached to Jack's arm.

Jack Bauer slowly comes to realise that he was never President, the Capitol and the government were never bombed and that it was all a drug induced fantasy.

"Damn it"

Back
Top Bottom