US: Designated Survivor

Soldato
After months of fighting President Kirkman stands in Kim Il-sung Square, amidst the smoking remains of a recent battle, and holds up the head of the defeated Kim Jong-un to the cameras and declares "This is for our fallen comrades. Victory is ours."

Just at that moment he begins to hear a faint 'beep' beep' 'beep' drifting in on the air and suddenly he awakens to find himself strapped to a metal table in a small darkly lit room, the only sound being the constant, repetitive beeping of the heart monitor attached to his chest. Looking around he sees various drips and other medical machinery, he tries to pull one from his arm but for some reason doesn't have the strength.

A dark shadowy figure wearing medical garb emerges from the corner of the room, "So Mr Bauer, it's been two years now and is this the day that you finally break and tell us the codes?" he says as he fiddles with the drip attached to Jack's arm.

Jack Bauer slowly comes to realise that he was never President, the Capitol and the government were never bombed and that it was all a drug induced fantasy.

"Damn it"

and the shadowy figure is no other than Cheng Zhi (season 9 DID NOT happen).

Soldato
After months of fighting President Kirkman stands in Kim Il-sung Square, amidst the smoking remains of a recent battle, and holds up the head of the defeated Kim Jong-un to the cameras and declares "This is for our fallen comrades. Victory is ours."

Just at that moment he begins to hear a faint 'beep' beep' 'beep' drifting in on the air and suddenly he awakens to find himself strapped to a metal table in a small darkly lit room, the only sound being the constant, repetitive beeping of the heart monitor attached to his chest. Looking around he sees various drips and other medical machinery, he tries to pull one from his arm but for some reason doesn't have the strength.

A dark shadowy figure wearing medical garb emerges from the corner of the room, "So Mr Bauer, it's been two years now and is this the day that you finally break and tell us the codes?" he says as he fiddles with the drip attached to Jack's arm.

Jack Bauer slowly comes to realise that he was never President, the Capitol and the government were never bombed and that it was all a drug induced fantasy.

"Damn it"

I'd watch this!

Associate
I was enjoying this right up to the point where a character called Kimble appeared. No matter far-fetched the premise of the programme is, hearing kiefer sutherland earnestly saying "thank-you kimble" just completely wrecked my suspension of disbelief (even if that character is played by the lovely Virginia Madsen).

Kimble? Sounds like a brand of dog food.

Man of Honour
[HB]Rugrat;30083225 said:
I was enjoying this right up to the point where a character called Kimble appeared. No matter far-fetched the premise of the programme is, hearing kiefer sutherland earnestly saying "thank-you kimble" just completely wrecked my suspension of disbelief (even if that character is played by the lovely Virginia Madsen).

Kimble? Sounds like a brand of dog food.

I find it more distracting that they've re-used many names from 24 for i.e. White House staff, etc. like Mike and Aaron - even if they are quite common names.

I'm quite enjoying it so far TBH - it feels quite a bit like 24 with actors switched around which is kind of mildly amusing and so far better than the more recent 24 stuff.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Am still watching it to see him say I am Jack bauer before going full taken style in a 100% woollen cardy.

Soldato
It's a great idea and I was hooked by the trailer but I just can't find the episodes that riveting despite the stellar casting.

It also doesn't help that he's still Jack Bauer to me :D

Associate
It's a great idea and I was hooked by the trailer but I just can't find the episodes that riveting despite the stellar casting.

It also doesn't help that he's still Jack Bauer to me :D

It's a bit like with the Friends cast...once you've seen them as those characters it's impossible to take them seriously as anyone else.

They should just make a 24 with Kiefer Sutherland as President Bauer.

I am really enjoying Designated Survivor though :D

Man of Honour
Yeah - lots of reused themes/tropes, etc. as mentioned above as well - still keeping me just about interested so far.

Soldato
This show is alright, but the Asian FBI agent is a total Mary Sue and it winds me up how Hollywood keeps reusing this "agent is right but their boss doesn't believe them" trope. It was on Mr Robot too.

Still watch her (Maggie Q) all day given half a chance :D

Wish Natasha was in it more, seems as though there maybe a major plot line coming up with her central to it

Associate
I liked the premise and i've made myself keep watching it, but after this weeks i'm done. Its just so bloody cheesy and dumbed down simplistic politics, i'd imagine Trump would love it.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
There was a Sorkin moment last week, West Wing-ish "background life of the staffers" type of thing, and I thought - this could totally work, if they had a clear direction - is it Commander in Chief, is it West Wing, is it Jack Bauer in the White House. This show needs two things extra pronto - multiple writing teams, show like this must be seriously multithreaded - if one story falls short, there is at least two other threads in the episode to keep us interested - and at least extra two A-grade TV "guest stars" to wake this s up - Jon Hamm, Matthew Rhys, Tim Olyphant, someone alive - at the moment Kiefer is doing all the fiddling and all the dancing on his own - he has no cast to bounce any drama off, the rest of the cast is still in audition mode.

Back
Top Bottom