*** Desk and Room Gallery***

Associate
is that a lack shelf?

is it sitting on the speakers or is it fixed to the wall?

Yeah, it's a lack shelf I found laying around. It's sitting atop some old busted speakers that were nice and heavy and solid. I used blutack between all the surfaces to keep everything from sliding around. Doing this allowed space for wires behind. Later on, I was able to fix the monitor wires to run sideways along the thick lack shelf then down behind the desk, so that it hid all the visible wires. Looked clean.

Now I've done something similar, but with some other thinner cheaper ikea shelf and ikea capita legs. I much prefer monitor shells as I get a lot more desk space.

Soldato
I am having part room ripped out for a bed this weekend so gotta clean up but I need to plan. I got Z5500 and HIFI (2speaker+recever) then this 24in monitor for my PC and a 39" TV.

Comp is big and in a COSMOS 2! I have a second PC sorta and a SilverS lc09 I think.

I'd love to build a PC in drawers and cut top desk then cover n lights. :D

Will add pics and measure

Soldato
Yeah, it's a lack shelf I found laying around. It's sitting atop some old busted speakers that were nice and heavy and solid. I used blutack between all the surfaces to keep everything from sliding around. Doing this allowed space for wires behind. Later on, I was able to fix the monitor wires to run sideways along the thick lack shelf then down behind the desk, so that it hid all the visible wires. Looked clean.

Now I've done something similar, but with some other thinner cheaper ikea shelf and ikea capita legs. I much prefer monitor shells as I get a lot more desk space.

it looks good, ive seen something similar done before but with RIBBA picture frames instead of the speakers.

think i might have to go that route when i redo my desk in the next few weeks.

Ken

Ken

Associate
What hifi thingy majiggy is that? :p Id love to hook my iMac up to something like that.
They're part of the Teac Reference 500 range...

Amp is A-H500i
CD player is PD-H500i

I've got the minidisc, cassette and stereo tuner from the range too but I'm sure you won't need the model numbers for those :p

Can't remember when I bought it but got to be at least 10 years ago.

Caporegime
A few small changes since I posted this in the previous thread, namely speaker upgrade and a separate amplifer (NAD3020) in a rack under the desk. The rack won't win any awards for carpentry, I might do it again one day, but at least it holds it in place.

IeVwugP.jpg

8df5AuC.jpg

Associate
A few small changes since I posted this in the previous thread, namely speaker upgrade and a separate amplifer (NAD3020) in a rack under the desk. The rack won't win any awards for carpentry, I might do it again one day, but at least it holds it in place.

I love the concept, execution needs work though. :p

I initially had cables running through one of those little cable hole things, but quickly just ran them behind the table top. I know you can't do that with your setup as is, but I hated it because every time you pushed the keyboard+mouse forward, the cables would bunch up. Also, when gaming the mouse cable would get snagged sometimes too.

How do you find those Diamond 10.1s so close to the wall? They're rear ported and are meant to be at least 20-30cm away I think. I've got a pair in my lounge, love them.

Soldato
photo.jpg

My amazing temporary setup :D. Hopefully I can upgrade within a few weeks, therefore cleaning up this mess.

Caporegime
I like that
Where did you get the top from?

Some bloke on eBay whose kitchen installer had mucked up the cut. Hence the heat proof layer stuck to the underside! Cost £70, which I thought was pretty good for solid oak with 40mm staves. The equivalent on eBay was over £200 iirc.

I love the concept, execution needs work though. :p

I initially had cables running through one of those little cable hole things, but quickly just ran them behind the table top. I know you can't do that with your setup as is, but I hated it because every time you pushed the keyboard+mouse forward, the cables would bunch up. Also, when gaming the mouse cable would get snagged sometimes too.

How do you find those Diamond 10.1s so close to the wall? They're rear ported and are meant to be at least 20-30cm away I think. I've got a pair in my lounge, love them.

I've so far not experienced (or noticed anyway) the frustrations you mention with the cable bunching up. I found that it keeps things looking neat with one cable entry point, and having the desk flush to the wall looks much better than having a gap.

The diamonds are working fine for me. I'm sure they prefer more room behind the ports, and they did sound clearer in the living room. However the bass seems more pronounced, though it's hard to compare an AV amp to a stereo one, especially with all the other variables. I looked into this and a lot of people seemed to think the 'give ports space to breathe' thing was an overblown myth anyway. Who knows, but I'm happy.

I almost bought some front ported monitor audio something or others and sold the diamonds, but instead decided to give the diamonds a go and for the moment at least, they're doing the business.

Associate
Some bloke on eBay whose kitchen installer had mucked up the cut. Hence the heat proof layer stuck to the underside! Cost £70, which I thought was pretty good for solid oak with 40mm staves. The equivalent on eBay was over £200 iirc.

Thank you
I was looking at ikea for a worktop, only £30 so might go with that
But will defo check eBay out

Caporegime
The £30 Ikea ones are a) laminate rather than real wood and b) only about 620mm deep iirc. If you're happy with both of these things then that would be a really cheap way to achieve something pretty good. However I don't think I could get on with a desk that narrow.

Back
Top Bottom