Detective OCUK forums! Help me find this registration of this close pass driver.

Soldato
Depending on what time this was filmed and the rules of the bus lane, the only thing the police would be interested in here is a potential fine for driving in it. The driving strikes me as a 'sick german bruv' or an entitled tool kind of person, so I'm surprised you got that much room.

Hope you're on the mend OP.

Man of Honour
Remind me again how much road tax you pay to ride your bicycle and get in the way of paying motorists?

Oh that's right.. you don't. Then you're not entitled to be on the road either.

Suck it up cupcake, it's not YOUR road. You don't even pay towards it's upkeep. (As a cyclist)

OMG, he actually said it.

Like I said in a post above, a lot of motorists have this exact same attitude towards cyclists because they really believe they pay a road tax and cyclists don't.

Associate
You sound like you have a sensible approach to cycling and I guess it depends on the individual..

I've already stated I'd most certainly be positioned where the cyclist in front is, I feel from the road conditions on the video and the fact it's a two lane dual carraigeway that the distance he is in the lane reduces the gap so that cars may be tempted to squeeze by, so out of interest would you do the same?

I may be far more defensive than most (I ride motorbikes to, when filtering etc you treat cars as the enemy and use road positioning to minimise risk constantly) but when a car can damage you so easily I take that in to account and would just do what I felt was safe.

In that situation with two lanes (so opportunity for cars to use the right-hand lane) and a bus lane coming up, I would probably have taken the centre of the left-hand lane as I came across the traffic lights. I almost always find that taking a more defensive position is the safest thing to do so that a car driver is in no doubt that there is no room to squeeze past.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I mean, seriously? Look up the word entitled and you'll find a picture of some **** in an SUV overtaking a cyclist aggressively just like the OP's video. The mind boggles. I think psychiatrists should do a study as to what happens to people's brains when they come up behind a cyclist in the road, it's like something just pops and they lose all humanity :o

Yes, seriously. Your reaction to my post highlights you have a chip on your shoulder about it and you have indrectly put me in the same category of the **** in an SUV without taking in the context of my post. Read the footnote of my post, I am a cyclist, runner, driver and horse rider.

No matter the calibre of road user I come across I treat them with the respect I would expect, even if they are being an unecessary hazard and invonvenince. I'll happily wait and pass safely, so pleast don't put me in the "*** car driver" box becasue I see

In contrast you wouldn't believe how many cyclists have spooked my horse whilst passing me, passing close and fast whilst shouting arrogant conversations at their mates. That's one thing you really don't want landing on you yet 90% I come across predictably are ignorant to the dangers of spooking a horse much liek they think car drivers are to them.

My opinion of other cyclists is from a rural area where people from all over come and cycle here. Not just the towns and villages but the fast narrow lanes that can barely accomodate two-way traffic. Mostly (but not all, lets be clear about this I'm not hating on everyone) they are ignorant to everyone else around them and make themselves bigger hazards than is necessary. This is fact. It is also fact for almost all other road users no matter their vehicle sadly.

It's common sense. If you are a more vulnerabvle road user, act like one. Going to manoeuvre further into the road to pass a parked vehicle? Look behind you in good time, move out when its clear and so anyone else coming along behind can see you've commited to it. Just that one thing alone could save a lot of peoples blood pressure. Instead, most just move out at the last moment without looking and expect anyone else approaching to deal with it. If you don't act predictably unpredictable things will happen. If I see a cyclist look behind I antcipate they're going to manovre somehow, but you wouldn't believe how many who do not.

I'm not saying it's right cars and larger faster vehicles just barge past on their way and hope for the best, I'm just saying most road users do not help themselves one bit.

Soldato
Here's a list of cars which also pay no VED due to their emissions rate, just like a cyclist: https://www.evanshalshaw.com/blog/used-cars-with-zero-road-tax/

[pedant]how many of the vehicles on that list require no regular inspection of mechanical integrity, third party insurance or any form of operator training to be used legally on a public road?[/pedant]

I really miss cycling on the continent where the riders are sensible and pragmatic.

i used to annoy continental drivers no end because every time i came up to pass across a T-junction i'd slow down and stop, i think they're required to let you pass but i always figured being smeared over the pavement wasn't the best way of testing that theory.

Man of Honour
Soldato
You are mistaken, that page is for cars that pay no road tax and it uses the phrase 20 times on that page :)

Honestly, no wonder idiots think there is a road tax when a massive car company gets it wrong.

But there's no such thing as road tax, therefore that website is correct that none of those cars pay road tax :p

Associate
OP
UK cyclists don't think that they should cycling in a way appropriate to the conditions, everyone else should just get out of the damn way (road or pavement), which is why so many get squished. At least they win the argument on their helmet cam that is peeled from their head though.

I really miss cycling on the continent where the riders are sensible and pragmatic.

I lived in the Netherlands for 6 months. I can safely say the riders are no better or worse, just the infrastructure and roads are set up in such a way to keep cars and cyclists separate. Which means less conflict and course everyone is happier.

On a happier note, I went to meet my girlfriend at work this evening. I upped my cameras to 60FPS and didn’t even need em which makes me happy. Especially given the weather was awful.

Caporegime
Car tax is an acceptable term because exise duty is a tax, road tax is not and it annoys me far too much when people use that term, as some of you may have noticed... :D

Who is it who has or used to have the "ROAD TAX WAS ABOLISHED IN 1937" signature in red on black? :p

Associate
OP
Can I just point out that I started a thread about number-plate recognition just recently and the idea got dismissed?
There is actually software which you can use to blend the frames and clean up the video that police use for forensics. Sadly no trial versions around.

Soldato
I don't give cars 1.5m-2m when passing. That is far too much space. Even lanes in a motorway don't seperate you out by that much.

How much space do cycle lanes give cyclists away from vehicles?

The overtake at speed with a cyclist on the inside is a little out of order though.

Soldato
Can I just point out that I started a thread about number-plate recognition just recently and the idea got dismissed?
ANPR isn't magic, it would do no better than than any of us trying to read that plate. The issue here isn't a lack of ANPR, it's crap video quality.

Man of Honour
Car tax is an acceptable term because exise duty is a tax, road tax is not and it annoys me far too much when people use that term, as some of you may have noticed... :D

Who is it who has or used to have the "ROAD TAX WAS ABOLISHED IN 1937" signature in red on black? :p

That was me, 13 December 2015 must have been a bad day when I made it :)
I got that fed up of every 'incident' I got involved in or just talking among people that the statement "You don't pay road tax" would roll out.

However I'm now a completely different cyclist and it's been a very long time since a motorist has wound me up (never ever professional drivers).
I go out on my bike knowing I'm the most hated person on the road and I give way to everything bigger than me even if it's my priority - I just get out the way.
Even the odd time when somebody has endangered my life like pulling out on me, left hooking or getting very close I just think "Well nothing happened" and I just get on with it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't give cars 1.5m-2m when passing. That is far too much space. Even lanes in a motorway don't seperate you out by that much.

How much space do cycle lanes give cyclists away from vehicles?

The overtake at speed with a cyclist on the inside is a little out of order though.

In a car you are protected by a big
Wall of metal, so giving 2m of passing space isn’t strictly necessary. But you know the feeling when a large lorry passes you on the motorway? Amplify that feeling 100x times and you now know what it feels like on a bike. You are vulnerable, unprotected and anyone’s mistake other than your own will likely lead to something bad. No amount of lights, helmets etc will change that. I look like a Christmas tree, I’m insured more than your typical driver is and even pay this mythic ‘road tax’ for a car which is parked up most of the time. Yet it still doesn’t stop idiots.

But be sensible about this, anyone who is saying that this is ‘fine’ clearly hasn’t even been close passed by a car. I’d say around a meter+ of space is fair.

I’ll just leave this little picture here:

4001.jpg

Soldato
In the camera shot the car's left wheel is on the edge of the central road marking (the only reference point ?), which could be a viable distance to overtake, at 30mph,
but not at 55mph (30 zone?) which he looks like he was doing with the, later, brake lights.

I assume the police guidance is for 30mph, but should be doubled at 60mph, if a lorry passed at 1.5m @60, you could be sucked in.

Soldato
In a car you are protected by a big
Wall of metal, so giving 2m of passing space isn’t strictly necessary.

Highway code says I should give a cycle the same distance as I would a car.

I would very rarely give a cyclist 2m of space. That would be ridiculous.

Your chart is basically about getting cars off the road.

If strict seperation is the key as you claim, maybe we need to have roads either for cyclists or vehicles only right now.

Given vehicles are far more important to transport and logistics, take all cyclists off the road until new roads for cyclists can be built. I'm not proposing such an absurd idea, just as much as I'm not proposing such strict separation on roads today.

Contrary to what most would have you believe, road safety in the UK is actually amongst the best in the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
I lived in the Netherlands for 6 months. I can safely say the riders are no better or worse, just the infrastructure and roads are set up in such a way to keep cars and cyclists separate. Which means less conflict and course everyone is happier.

On a happier note, I went to meet my girlfriend at work this evening. I upped my cameras to 60FPS and didn’t even need em which makes me happy. Especially given the weather was awful.

I absolutely agree that separation really works, it's a shame we don't have the space/infrastructure to have more of that in the UK.

For your closing comment, it sounds like you feel you need the cameras? I presume the very reason you have them is due to issues you are encountering regularly?

Back
Top Bottom