Detective OCUK forums! Help me find this registration of this close pass driver.

Associate
I guess this is the digital version of feeling sketchy when walking past police on the street, I've just started driving lessons so checked the thread in case it was me. Thankfully not! :D

Man of Honour
For your closing comment, it sounds like you feel you need the cameras?

Here's a weird one, when I had my headcam for around 3 months I was uploading incidents daily, the unit became faulty and Currys hadn't got another one.
As soon as I went out on the road again I didn't have any incidents, it was as though the headcam got me into situations so I could moan about it.

Soldato
The only thing that would ever come out of this is the Audi driver being fined for going down the bus lane...

The 1.5m thing is made up nonsense, it isn't in the highway code. It says: "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car". So... maybe a few feet. But obviously passing that close at warp speed is dangerous.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just do what every cyclist around here does and use the pavement, doesn't seem to bother them winding their way through pedestrians.

Look at all that delicious pavement you could be using there.

Soldato
With that said, no police action will be taken considering the footage; not even a warning letter.
If you look till the end, in his eagerness to get past the OP he follows the dangerous overtake by driving straight into a bus lane, maybe the council would want to see it lol.

The 1.5m thing is made up nonsense, it isn't in the highway code. It says: "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car".
Which is more room than the Audi gave the OP. As a general rule you should give a doors width, if the OP was in a car and opened his door the Audi would have ripped it off.

Caporegime
If you look till the end, in his eagerness to get past the OP he follows the dangerous overtake by driving straight into a bus lane, maybe the council would want to see it lol.

It's not an operative bus lane 24/7 and 10:13pm is probably outside its operative hours.

Associate
OP
Wasn't even close. Get a grip OP.

‘Get a grip’ as I’ve already said the car was around 1ft from my arm. If that isn’t too close then why on earth have police prosecuted for less on videos I’ve sent in the past?

You clearly haven’t been in the situation of being close passed before, it’s horrendous. Especially at speed.

Associate
Jeez some of the comments on here...
It's far too close, whether you realise how deceptively close it actually is or not. (Camera in center of bike and wide angle lens)

The op could have been cycling in primary position in the road if they wanted and the driver decided to make an over taking manoeuvre on another vehicle without leaving adequate space. They even seemed to speed up, which I'm not sure is out of frustration or perhaps the misguided view of safety.

From the point of view of the op, they felt it was too close as they were the one of the bike and that's the perspective that matters right? They're certainly the most vulnerable one in this situation.

Some of you need your attitude checking. You're likely the same as the inconsiderate and inpatient oaf captured in the video who puts their needs first, endangering another human for their own convenience.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Just catching up on this thread, you've said after you fill out the online submission to the police you received guidance with specific action they are able to take with this being one:

No further action for an offence, but footage to be used to update our intelligence on the vehicle. (Note, intelligence may also be passed on to 3rd parties with an interest in the vehicle, such as Insurance and Finance companies).

Like a drugs marker?? For passing cyclists???

Permabanned
For those with Facebook I've started to get these videos in my Timeline, interesting one around 1:45 - https://www.facebook.com/DevonAndCornwallPolice/videos/644328016216086

I honestly didn't know you could send in footage and the Police would respond to it.
Just look for Operation SNAP

Doesn't surprise me. If you can get drivers to think that they might be on camera they might self-police their behaviour. I was driving down the A303 last week and there were three consecutive bridges where road safety activists had hung up banners and looked like they were using some kind of equipment to monitor drivers. Made me wonder if they were trying to spot speeding drivers and approximate their average across the three bridges, radioing in to the next bridge to let them know somebody was coming?

Soldato
‘Get a grip’ as I’ve already said the car was around 1ft from my arm. If that isn’t too close then why on earth have police prosecuted for less on videos I’ve sent in the past?
Honestly, you should send that video to the police, as that guy deserves to be done for that, because if he thinks that's okay then it's only a matter of time before he causes an accident.

In fact if you do send that to the police and they don't do anything, then you should report them to the IOPC because sitting on a dangerous driving case when they have solid video evidence is arguably a dereliction of duty.

Caporegime
If that isn’t too close then why on earth have police prosecuted for less on videos I’ve sent in the past?

Sure George...

Would love to see the footage and proof of prosecution! :p

For those with Facebook I've started to get these videos in my Timeline, interesting one around 1:45 - https://www.facebook.com/DevonAndCornwallPolice/videos/644328016216086

That looked far closer than the example OP posted, and the cyclist was much further to the left as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That looked far closer than the example OP posted, and the cyclist was much further to the left as well.

Exactly.

If I had a headcam I'd guarantee I'd have much closer examples than the one in the OP that don't bother me.
Everyday I would get my hand hit if I stuck it out.
I have had several in the past where my mirror on my handlebars has been knocked so I consider those to be too close.

Soldato
Unless the camera is having some fisheye effect making the car look further away than it is its not really anything I'd take note of and I don't think the police will take much notice either. If you had footage of you being knocked off that'd be different and I'm sure the cops would take that seriously - which is the point really I think you're projecting your stess/annoyance/ire/anxiety about the previous incident where it was perfectly justifiable to think that onto this where you don't really have much to go on - we all know motorists get to close but unless theres physical contact I don't think the police will intervene maybe if they were in patrol car witnessing it happening to more than one cyclist by a particular driver they'd pull him over and have words - but its unlikely to go further than that.

In future I'd make sure you keep cam footage at all times in the event something serious does happen again because thats when you'll need it

Back
Top Bottom