dfi-rd580 crossfire due soon? (gibbo?)

Can't see any point in me buying one anyway, seen as I've got the A8N-Premium, not going to Crossfire so no point really is there? ooh I might get an extra 2 fps??? What do you reckon, I just cant see the justification in laying out £150+ for something that has no real benefit, no point crossfiring as you will only end up selling when the DX10 cards come out! :p

Last edited:
Jimi said:
Why does everyone keep banging on about DirectX 10? It's only going to be available on Vista, are you getting Vista as soon as it's released?
I wasnt very clear, I intend to make my graphics card last at least a good 18 months at which point, I'll be probally be doing my next upgrade - no point in crossfire it's a waste of money especially when you upgrade your system = 2 2nd hand cards to sell. Hopefully an Oem version of Vista will be released, not sure when I'll be purchasing it to be honest but I wont be buying vista untill both DX10 cards & Vista are both on the market.

That's very expensive :eek:

What are DFI bringing to the table that the other manufacturer's are not to justify this price tag? I see they have also added a fan - any reason for this?

Have to say, i was going to upgrade my Asus for this. I nearly clicked buy before the price went up and even then it was £160 incl postage....

I thought £160 was too steep.... so now, well its stupid.

DFI and OCUK take a big nose dive in the credability stakes over this in my eyes.

Gerard said:
Whats with the insane amount of dots? :confused:

Anyway, pretty cheesy the way the price suddenly got jacked up near 25 quid, it seems to be a "premium" that was slapped on when they saw the demand for the motherboard. Screw it think i'll go the shuttle route, assuming the sn25p doesn't conveniently hop up 25 quid in an hour or two. :o

Reminds me a little of the Tagan Modular PSUs, they got a lot of praise and talk, suddenly they become more expensive then anywhere else overnight.

Gerard said:
Whats with the insane amount of dots? :confused:

Anyway, pretty cheesy the way the price suddenly got jacked up near 25 quid, it seems to be a "premium" that was slapped on when they saw the demand for the motherboard. Screw it think i'll go the shuttle route, assuming the sn25p doesn't conveniently hop up 25 quid in an hour or two. :o

Not at all the case. I completely guessed at the price comparing it against our current range of Crossfire boards. I then went and placed my order with DFI and I was shocked at the price, and quickly had to increase my sell price or we'd have not been making much at all. :eek: :eek:
Ask them why and they seem to think their's is much better than the competitions and hence its worth more, I disagreed with them, but they were unwilling to move on price. DFI always tend to do this as they don't do enough research into their competitors, their last crossfire board was a flop from the word go due to its high price and lacking performance. Knowing DFI it will take them 2-3 months to realise their mistake before dropping price.

My advice go with Asus or Abit as at least they get the pricing right pretty much of the mark. :)
Also Abit has just arrived into stock.

SimonMaltby said:
Have to say, i was going to upgrade my Asus for this. I nearly clicked buy before the price went up and even then it was £160 incl postage....

I thought £160 was too steep.... so now, well its stupid.

DFI and OCUK take a big nose dive in the credability stakes over this in my eyes.

No DFI do, not OcUK if you expect us to offer the product at cost then we just won't bother offering it at all.....

As explained above I took a reasonable guess and put the board up to pre-order to only find out when purchasing that the board was costing OcUK like £25 more than expected, DFI extremely overpriced. I think I will show them this thread.

LMFAO £176 for a ******* motherboard!!!. :D :D

Is the thing made out of gold or what. :D

If its owt like the RD480 one then i feel sorry for all who buy it, that was an atrocious board about as stable as a 1x legged table, id go for any of the others, no way ill ever touch MFi again, RD480 board was my first, and last.

Last edited:
Gibbo said:
I think I will show them this thread.

At the MOST the original £152 price is probably the max it should be priced at. Then again they'll probably harp on about nvidia buying out uli and the uli southbridge being hard to get so that justifies price gouging yadda yadda yadda. :mad:

Id prefer a dfi board just for a change, ive had abit and asus in the past, dfi was gonna be a change but at this price they can just sit there and wonder why their boards aren't selling.

One can assume by Gibbo's intervention that the boards are not selling as well as they should at that price.

Would be nice to see the price at a more respective price point, which can then in turn be justified when a trusted customer review is posted, stating the ability of the motherboard. I can't see why DFI are pricing that high, it has 4 phase power, other than an excuse for the 'expense' of the Southbridge, which they should have had in stock from past orders anyway.

I suppose it's better for Gibbo not to estimate launch prices in the future, as people don't seem to impressed when costs are quickly raised, even when it's justified.

Last edited:
Gibbo said:
I think I will show them this thread.

I think you should do that.

DFI have made a MAJOR pricing error here. Abit offer their RD580 for £140, Asus for £130 and then DFI comes along and slaps £180 on the table. I don't see the "wow" factor in the DFI board that justifies its extreme price. Fair enough, they want to make profit as do OcUK, but £180 is ludicrous. I suspect OcUK have a very low profit margin on that board and DFI are taking all the crop. Not only does it make OcUK look bad for something that's not really their fault, it ruins DFI's reputation and consumer image.

If this was The Apprentice, Sir Alan Sugar would have fired DFI for their fundemental pricing error.

Back
Top Bottom