**DGM 27" LED IPS 2560x1440 ONLY £319.99 Inc. VAT (PRE-ORDER PRICE ONLY)!!**

Soldato
The answer is no. Only the first Catleap's could be OC'd, and to be honest it wasn't a perfect overclock either. It would skip frames. In addition, since the panel wasn't designed to run refresh rates that high, none of us have any idea if it'll negatively affect the life of the panel.

Associate
I'm still not clear if this monitor has a scaler or not? Also if it doesn't have a scaler is the comment earlier in the thread correct to state that it will expand 1920x1080 to full screen as that seems to be a function of a scaler? In a nutshell what would happen if for instance a PS3 was plugged in?

Comments suggest it does have an OSD, so does this have options for colour temp, brightness, contrast and sharpness.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure what was meant by the "no scaler" comments is that it doesn't have any hardware level aspect ratio control in the OSD. That doesn't mean you can't input a whole range of resolutions from all the different interfaces, it just means there are no options to maintain the correct aspect ratio (if inputting anything other than 16:9) and no 1:1 pixel mapping support. That's the same as the Hazro HZ27WC screen.

If you want to have some aspect ratio retention then you'd need to rely on the input device. That's probably easy enough from a PC via graphics card, but not so good for external devices.

Caporegime
Will I be able to output to the maximum resolution from my desktop using a single DVI cable?

Do you mean a single cable or single link?

Dual link isn't 2 cables, it a DVI cable with more pins connected for higher bandwidth.

If the output from your PC is dual link, and you use a dual link cable, you'll get the full 2560x1440.

If the output is only single link, or you use a single link cable, then probably 1920x1080.

Soldato
Do you mean a single cable or single link?

Dual link isn't 2 cables, it a DVI cable with more pins connected for higher bandwidth.

If the output from your PC is dual link, and you use a dual link cable, you'll get the full 2560x1440.

If the output is only single link, or you use a single link cable, then probably 1920x1080.

Perfect, that clears things up, thanks. I wasn't 100% sure what dual link meant.

I should be okay with my current cable :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad you mentioned a cable. I've ordered one of these monitors and there is no mention of cable being included in the box.
Does anyone know whether it comes with a dual link cable?

I just checked and there's a post on an thread from a few weeks back on Hot UK Deals that says that it comes with a DVI-D cable in the box.

Soldato
No wonder the other thread got locked ;)

lol I found it hilarious also I thought id come on here cos its been a while and wondered how the catleap thread was doing and well its not doing....

guess the DGM thread will have to make it 10000 pages, I guess my suggestion of cheap 27" IPS panel finally paid off :)

Its a lovely option and better, but lets hope they can make it a regular product and not just a one off otherwise people will leap back to the cat ;)

Last edited:
Associate
It's been a long time since I've upgraded my monitor (currently using an NEC MultiSync 20WGX2) and thought it's about time that I looked at replacing it. Either looking to get an 24inch (looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 2410/2412) or a 27inch monitor.

This does seem extremely tempting compared to the prices of other decent 27inch IPS monitors. What would the high end 27inch monitors from Dell and Apple over this? Is it just the brand that makes it more expensive (together with the warantees offered?)

Associate
This looks like a very nice monitor at a very nice price, very impressed

just curious, what sort of gpu would you recommend for this monitor? For example would a 7850 be able to do most games justice (say medium-high setting but not necessarily the highest setting on games), wouldnt be able to splash that much money on this monitor and anything more on a gpu at the same time

Last edited:
Soldato
I found a 7970 was a good card for 2560x1440 although in some games it did feel it was stretching it's legs a little far. If your willing to drop settings then I imagine a 7850 would be fine at 1440p.

Soldato
If I ordered one of these when do Overclockers actually take the money, I assume when the monitor is in stock and being despatched..?

Also I have a Asus 670GTX and I assume that I would need a Dual Link DVI D cable to get the full resolution.? Is that the same thing as the one which is noted to come with the monitor or do I need to buy one..?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, just relooked through this thread.

So, it apparently lacks the scalar of the Crossover 2720, (meaning it should have awesome input lag values) and OCUK will let you return it if it has any dead pixels, plus there's a definite A+ panel? (I am VERY skeptical about that Gibbo, I mean, A+ panels are EXPENSIVE).

Want to pre order so bad. Just about ready to grab two right now.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the stand. I hope I can remove that without dismantling the thing.

Edit: It's been a while since I looked this stuff up, but:

Say I plug in a 360 through the HDMI port. Without a scalar, how does the monitor handle 720/1080p? Does it just display that with black borders?

Associate
If I ordered one of these when do Overclockers actually take the money, I assume when the monitor is in stock and being despatched..?
OcUK take your money quite soon after you place the order, regardless of whether it is in stock or not. I ordered one on Friday and I can see that the amount is already showing against my online credit card statement.
When I pre-ordered a Hazro several months ago, the money left my account 10 days before the monitor was in stock. It's just the way they work.

Soldato
Ah, just relooked through this thread.

So, it apparently lacks the scalar of the Crossover 2720, (meaning it should have awesome input lag values) and OCUK will let you return it if it has any dead pixels, plus there's a definite A+ panel? (I am VERY skeptical about that Gibbo, I mean, A+ panels are EXPENSIVE).

Want to pre order so bad. Just about ready to grab two right now.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the stand. I hope I can remove that without dismantling the thing.

Edit: It's been a while since I looked this stuff up, but:

Say I plug in a 360 through the HDMI port. Without a scalar, how does the monitor handle 720/1080p? Does it just display that with black borders?

There is plenty more processing beyond scaling that a monitor can do to increase input lag. Also the pixel responses are all part of this and a fairly significant one on an IPS panels. Hopefully input lag on this model is comparable to the Hazro HZ30WC though.

A+ WQHD panels are not massively expensive in comparison to other grades, the monitors that use them often are for other reasons. And if this model has no scaler then you can't use it with an Xbox. The HDMI cable can't carry a signal that the Xbox's internal scaler can work with.

Back
Top Bottom