** Diablo 4 Thread **

Associate
Hoping they do a tuning pass on gold costs, as its a major bottleneck at the end game. If not I'll put it down until next season. If they crack that the gameplay loop is pretty enjoyable with trying to hit the perfect masterwork crits and playing grifts pit for the mats (other than gold!)

Also on my wishlist, a transmute option for mid-boss mats into ubers. Just let me fore xample convert 5 living steel into 1 shard of agony without having to run the boss each time!

Last edited:
Soldato
There are 3 systems now for "upgrading" gear :
1. Enchantment - at the occultist you can reroll one, and only one, affix.
2. Tempering - accessed via blacksmith, allows you to add 1 affix ( or 2 for ancient legendary items ) using recipes you find in open play.
3. Masterworking - again, accessed via blacksmith after you've completed a tier 46 nightmare dungeon and the 1st level of The Pit ( essentially D4's equivalent of greater rifts ).

I'd also add adding gems/sockets as a reworked system - it's much harder now gathering enough shards to create a Royal gem. Adding sockets to items needs Shattered Prisms, which are very rare - drop from world boss and other uber-bosses, but not always.

As @rumple9 says, don't bother with any of this until end game. Little point wasting gold & materials on imperfect gear. Oh, and another thing ... gold is harder to earn in S4, so again save it for gear that has a chance of being close to perfect.
It's the new masterwork system. You have to farm mats to upgrade, but I wouldn't bother upgrading at your level as loot is fast and frequent, save mats for end game

1: So I have not gotten into enchantment yet :') .
2: Tempering is what I did before I think, legendary/rare items would be upgraded 3 times. But it's locked now?
3: Check, no idea, not that far in yet :).

So Just scrap loot for materials and save for later ?
Or sell loot ?

Associate
1: So I have not gotten into enchantment yet :') .
2: Tempering is what I did before I think, legendary/rare items would be upgraded 3 times. But it's locked now?
3: Check, no idea, not that far in yet :).

So Just scrap loot for materials and save for later ?
Or sell loot ?
Tempering is new as of S4. You get 5 rolls at adding an additional affix ( or 2 with ancient legendary ) to an item. It's not the same as the previous "upgrade" mechanic.

You can sell yellow items ... you should get enough mats just from running nightmare dungeons, helltides etc. By the time you hit WT3 and above there is almost no point to even picking up yellow items.

Last edited:
Associate
^^ Not correct. There are good yellows and they can be upgraded to brown by adding an aspect (unless they've changed it this season as not tried it yet)

Associate
^^ Not correct. There are good yellows and they can be upgraded to brown by adding an aspect (unless they've changed it this season as not tried it yet)

In Season 4 yellows have a maximum of 2 affixes so will never be as god as legendaries. You can still add an aspect but they are early game filler gear/salvage fodder as legendaries drop like candy. Eventually they arent even worth picking up as they take up an inventory slot that could be used for something more valuable to the vendor.

Associate
In Season 4 yellows have a maximum of 2 affixes so will never be as god as legendaries. You can still add an aspect but they are early game filler gear/salvage fodder as legendaries drop like candy. Eventually they arent even worth picking up as they take up an inventory slot that could be used for something more valuable to the vendor.
This. Yellows end up with fewer affixes compared to legendaries, so are now redundant ( other than for mats/cash ) from WT3 onwards.

Last edited:
Associate
Think I'm nearing my end with this season of D4. The new changes haven't really lived up to the hype, in my opinion. The "loot rehaul" was much needed, but I think we're only half way to what is required to make the game engaging from start to end. I still don't get any excitement from loot drops - aspects, legendary & unique items very seldom transform a build or significantly enhance your character's power. The new tempering mechanic needs a rework ; as things stand it's too easy to "brick" an item by getting 5 bad rolls on affixes and there isn't a mechanism to "reset". Personally, I think the limit on the number of rolls should just be removed - materials will still be a limiting factor.

As for the endgame bosses ie. tormented echoes and higher level Pit bosses, the dodge-or die mechanics the devs have introduced just aren't fun. You spend the whole game incrementally building up your character's stats ie. armour, resistances, damage reduction etc to take on higher level content, only for the devs to pull the rug from beneath your feet and ignore those "rules". Just feels bad. Really makes me wonder if the devs even play their own game. The endgame in Last Epoch and PoE blows D4 out of the water.

Last edited:
Associate
Think I'm nearing my end with this season of D4.

Yea, I can see that for many people. I've tried several builds with my Rogue but im determined to masterwork 12/12. But after that I'm going to try another class, but not sure which yet. I'd also love to get an uber unique and finally kill uber lilith, haha.. I dont really have another game to go back to yet so im gona ride this high for as long as I can
The endgame in Last Epoch and PoE blows D4 out of the water.
But both of those games have been in development for years and decades. LE was utter trash for years and so was POE. They are much better now for sure. But to me everything about them feels really clunky. Sure D4 might not be there yet with end game but for me a much smoother experience.

Associate
Yea, I can see that for many people. I've tried several builds with my Rogue but im determined to masterwork 12/12. But after that I'm going to try another class, but not sure which yet. I'd also love to get an uber unique and finally kill uber lilith, haha.. I dont really have another game to go back to yet so im gona ride this high for as long as I can

But both of those games have been in development for years and decades. LE was utter trash for years and so was POE. They are much better now for sure. But to me everything about them feels really clunky. Sure D4 might not be there yet with end game but for me a much smoother experience.
Good luck with Lilith ! She's not any easier this season despite their reworking of her mechanics. You can now afford to make a couple of mistakes before being one shot, but the fight takes 10-15 mins and her HP pool has been significantly increased. Same story for other tormented echo bosses.

As for the other games having longer development cycles - Diablo has been around for 28 years. Did the dev team learn nothing from D1,2 & 3 ? D4 has been in development for 6 years which is actually longer than Last Epoch.

Soldato
First time I’ve hit 100 :) the leveling experience was much better and a lot less grindy. Only managed low 90’s and 74 on my last two characters before getting bored.
There always seemed to be something active and was able to jump between nightmare dungeons and Hell rifts pretty easily.

Associate
Any room in the clan for a little fellow, just started playing again and jumped from 72 to 96 in a couple of days of causal play.

Loving this season, grinding is fun again. New bash Barbarian template, working well :)

Soldato
Think im done for the season, quickly losing interest after hitting 100 on my barb. Got a shako and grandfather drop from duriel but cant even be bothered trying them out. Was hoping for tibaults Will to drop and means ill need to go back to farming for uber mats. Really enjoyed the time i did play tho so cant complain really, i dont hav ethe urge to level other classes when its basically just a levelling game at the moment.

Associate
I'm done with this season; minor (but needed) changes but too much similarity meant I was bored pretty rapidly. I'm currently playing and loving Hades. I knew it was hyped but did not get around to playing during the whole game-of-the-year phase. Understand all the praise now, and it is perfect on Steam Deck.

Associate
Think im done for the season, quickly losing interest after hitting 100 on my barb. Got a shako and grandfather drop from duriel but cant even be bothered trying them out. Was hoping for tibaults Will to drop and means ill need to go back to farming for uber mats. Really enjoyed the time i did play tho so cant complain really, i dont hav ethe urge to level other classes when its basically just a levelling game at the moment.
Think I'd feel the same if an uber-unique ever dropped. I'm done for this season having reached lvl 100, lv 60+ in the Pit and completed the seaon objectives included beating tormented echoes ( but not Lilith ... the fight remains unfun and I've already got the achievement from killing in her S1 & 2 )

Back
Top Bottom