Did Brexit kill AlieExpress?

Soldato
Now you can buy British value add stuff instead of directly funding the Chinese industry.

Unless that British manufacturer is owned (and their products distributed by) an Italian parent company :p
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...ycle-saddles-made-in-england/?sh=43d399f95bbd

(if you can't read the article, the basis of the story is that the bike saddles are made in England then sent to their Italian distribution centre. They can no longer sell them back to British end users after brexit. It's not an entirely serious post - they've either sorted out their process now or will have done so soon)

Caporegime
FFS, I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of Sexy Women's Panties Seamless Lingerie Transparent Lace Bikini Briefs Plus size Lady Girl Underwear Cotton Fabric Intimates Top :mad:

Caporegime
No idea but when i order off them I can usually pick a few different countries as options for the item but I do tend to only order from the large brands not just anyone.

The point is that it's not always coming directly from China. There are warehouses across Europe.

So exactly the same as buying from any seller shipping from Europe.

Soldato
Xiaomi sell their products here now anyway, probably better from a consumer point of view especially the warranty side of things.

Soldato
FFS, I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of Sexy Women's Panties Seamless Lingerie Transparent Lace Bikini Briefs Plus size Lady Girl Underwear Cotton Fabric Intimates Top :mad:

Don't worry, they wouldn't fit you anyway. Sizing from these Chinese places is always way off.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Interesting how your opinion of using EU low taxation countries to minimise liabilities plus lack of VAT suddenly differs:

What is AliExpress' tax footprint in the UK like?

bUt BrExIt

My opinion on tax evasion has not changed, but "Taiwan of Europe" promise implied that the plan was for UK to be a drop shipper of goods imported under the "free trade with entire world" umbrella across the continent. That was the element that was supposed to invigorate British businesses and trade, right? The eurocrats from Brussels were blocking us from importing unhomologated tat from the rest of the world and flogging it to our consumers and partners. Instead the very first thing we did was to make our situation even worse compared to any other Eu country, with our own legislation.

You do realise the same VAT rule was just rolled out against all European countries? Britain now wants all European suppliers to register for UK VAT numbers and declare VAT up front at the point of sale? You'll hear about it in the next few days to come when literally everyone on the continent stop supplying to us. The paperwork itself is not worth it. I've never heard of a country that would set prohibitive customs duties on itself, but this is as close to complete comedic idiocracy as we're going to see before it stops being funny.

Associate
Quite a few products on Banggood (A similar site to AliExpress) have recently become unavailable for UK delivery. When I spoke to Banggood on Facebook, I asked them if it was because of Brexit. They said it was because of Covid. As AliExpress has said the same, I guess it's the truth. They've no reason to lie.

Caporegime
You do realise the same VAT rule was just rolled out against all European countries? Britain now wants all European suppliers to register for UK VAT numbers and declare VAT up front at the point of sale? You'll hear about it in the next few days to come when literally everyone on the continent stop supplying to us. The paperwork itself is not worth it. I've never heard of a country that would set prohibitive customs duties on itself, but this is as close to complete comedic idiocracy as we're going to see before it stops being funny.

Isn't the alternative having to collect the VAT individually from every purchaser for every parcel arriving in the UK?

Soldato
Britain now wants all European suppliers to register for UK VAT numbers and declare VAT up front at the point of sale?

The way I read it, I think this is for anywhere, not just European - i.e. US and Australian companies for example are now expected to VAT register, collect VAT and pay HMRC if they want to sell into the UK, whereas they weren't last week.

An amusing example being William Shatner's store no longer shipping to the UK as they claim it's not worth the cost & effort involved now.

Online Marketplaces operate under different rules though, so I expect to see a lot of smaller businesses shift to selling into the UK via Amazon/AliExpress/eBay etc. instead of directly, so the Online Marketplace has to deal with the VAT stuff.

Soldato
Quite a few products on Banggood (A similar site to AliExpress) have recently become unavailable for UK delivery. When I spoke to Banggood on Facebook, I asked them if it was because of Brexit. They said it was because of Covid. As AliExpress has said the same, I guess it's the truth. They've no reason to lie.
Other than potentially incensing Brexiteers who then boycott your company. Luckily they're a rational bunch not prone to that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom