Differences in Pay

Associate
Detach yourself from your anger and think about what steps are you going to take to try and put yourself in a better position.

Crying about it won't get you more pay.

Man of Honour
The people making more money, make more money for the company and / or have skills which are rarer, that's how it works. You may want to look for IT jobs in North Korea, Laos or Cuba.

Soldato
grab experience and skills and move on. there are plenty of other companies that will pay more for your services. end of the day they will either pay you more if they value you or they end up paying an agency to replace you.

Associate
I am not crying, I am just moaning that IT is under valued and exploited, that is all.

Oh yea like this eton **** next me is a wealth creator, he does nothing all day.

Crying, moaning, whatever. It isn't undervalued or else no-one would do the job for the pay they're offering, it's valued correctly.

Do something about it (i.e. put yourself in a better position in a proactive manner) or live with it. Also take the chip off your shoulder about people from better backgrounds than you, background is rarely a barrier to success.

Permabanned
OP
The receptionist is on a better salary than me and all she does is look pretty all day and answer the phone, oh and collect guests from downstairs. Definitely does not create wealth or add value any more than IT. But she is internal, gets private healthcare, big bonus etc.

Man of Honour
don't like it, get a job in a different role or different company where *you* are the wealth creator.

In most companies outside the City of London and finance generally, the wealth creators (that is, the people who do the work which is what the company sells) are usually towards the bottom end of the pay scale. Most of the higher earners are managers, who are not wealth producers.

M

Permabanned
OP
I am moving to another site where I will be getting more money and a better salary but that is beside the point. I am talking about IT in general, not specifically my job.

I just think there should be some reward within IT for a) working for some of the biggest firms in the world should earn you more money b) actually acknowledging that IT are not just an expense and actually do contribute in more ways than one to service delivery; and as such should be rewarded directly for this.

Soldato
Welcome to IT. They can sack you any time and there will be 50 Indians in line to take your place. Or they can sack your department and outsource to India and get 3 guys for the same price as you. Can't say the same for lawyers, can you?

From my experience they get what they pay for. Most Indians I have dealt with have been pretty useless. They see it as a weakness to ask questions. They wouldn't even consider asking a women sitting next to them for help even if she knew the answer.

Capodecina
Soldato
Hey
Groan​
Have you considered joining the CWU?​

:D

Every time I see your name and posts, I think of Alison Groan
ugly.jpeg

Man of Honour
The receptionist is on a better salary than me and all she does is look pretty all day and answer the phone, oh and collect guests from downstairs. Definitely does not create wealth or add value any more than IT. But she is internal, gets private healthcare, big bonus etc.

Perhaps that is more a reflection of how hard you work?

Permabanned
OP
I bet you won't find any difference in pay between say goldman sachs IT staff members and IT staff members for some tiny office with a tiny turnover. Where goldman sachs makes billions per year and this little tiny office probably selling some crappy product lucky to break even or make a million. This is the exploitative IT pay that i am specifically referring to.

IT should be paid loads more working for companies than earn billions.

Maybe a better comparison would be a small legal practice and one of the top five in the world legal practice.I guarantee that IT staff will be paid the same salaries at the top law firms than at some little legal practice above a fish and chips shop.

Soldato
Perhaps that is more a reflection of how hard you work?
This may be true in the private sector, its certainly not true in the public sector. We are paid buttons, but I knew the rate when I started and the IT industry up here is poor. A few more years hard work (outside of work) and I should be in a better position though.

Back
Top Bottom