Different Hanns.G 28" model now stocked?

Soldato

the camera doesn't pick it up to well, but the left side is the worse.

on monday i'm contacting Hannspree to find out they can do about it...

but in the manuel it says:
SPECIAL NOTES ON LCD MONITORS
The following symptoms are normal with LCD monitor and do not indicate a problem.
• Due to the nature of the fluorescent light, the screen may flicker during initial use. Turn off the Power Switch and then turn it on again to make sure the flicker disappears.
You may find slightly uneven brightness on the screen depending on the desktop pattern you use.
• The LCD screen has effective pixels of 99.99% or more. It may include blemishes of 0.01% or less such as a missing pixel or a pixel lit all of the time.
• Due to the nature of the LCD screen, an afterimage of the previous screen may remain after switching the image, when the same image is displayed for hours. In this case, the screen is recovered slowly by changing the image or turning off the Power Switch for hours.
• If the screen suddenly flashes erratically or the backlighting fails, please contact your dealer or service center for repair. Do not attempt to repair the monitor yourself.

so they may say it's normal??

Soldato
Scared now. :(

I do hope mine isn't that bad, if it is I'll be getting a refund. I believe under web buying laws I can return something even if I don't like it within a 14 day period? Worth a punt for the price of posting it back though. :p

Soldato
i sent my monitor back after 1 day shocking quality
Loud hissing sound at all times,viewing angles are awful,bad bleed.
But what do you expect a 28" for less than £300.

Soldato
Scared now. :(

I do hope mine isn't that bad, if it is I'll be getting a refund. I believe under web buying laws I can return something even if I don't like it within a 14 day period? Worth a punt for the price of posting it back though. :p
ocuk are brilliant for the 14 day period on sending things back.actually i think its 7 days.

Associate
Hi guys, I bought the Hanns-G 28" monitor from OCUK during the summer of 2008, is it pretty much the same as this? Mine has 1 VGA port, 1 HDMI port, audio in and out, and came with a DVI-HDMI cable.

If so I can give you info on how its been for the past year and a half of heavy usage, via laptop DVI-out and Xbox360 VGA. No dead pixels, no hissing, speakers are terrible but thats to be expected, bad backlight bleed, nice bright colours with plenty of fiddling, no ghosting whatsoever.

As said, 28" for less than £300 is hardly going to be stellar in terms of blacks, backlight bleed etc. In films like the Dark Knight it is noticable. To be honest anyone expecting something amazing in all aspects at that price are kidding themselves. Its great for gaming and general usage, if you are very picky about colour reproduction and blacks then don't bother and spend some more money!

Associate
:confused:

nearly all lcd monitors that ocuk do have a viewing angles of 170°/160°[/QUO

ok ill word it differently then the top of the screen is way darker than the bottom.

PS Having just completed a Masters-level essay on LCD technology (specifically TN panels) I can tell you that quoted viewing angles are absolute bull****, they are completely dependent on what the manufacturer decides is "viewable".

Even with correction films applied on the surface of TN film LCDs you will always get some colour alteration at angles on a TN film, its a consequence of physical laws!. On something as big as 28" its going to be even more noticeable as the further away from the centre point of your vision you go (ie further away from perpendicular), the worse it gets. Hence why LCD TVs of a certain size are not usually made using TN technology, more commonly PVA and MVA are used

Soldato
Wish I'd never heard the term backlight bleed now, I've started noticing how bad my W2242S is. :(

I expect it to be worse, but if it is I'll probably live with it, my expectations are pretty low, it sounds like it will still be a good monitor for web design and general use? This is what I do most of the time, I game occasionally, only a bit though and I watch the odd film, but mostly just old telly, so the quality isn't really an issue....

I shall test it with some decent quality films and games and compare with the W2242S though, get pics and post them up. Hopefully it will help everyone who's contemplating!

Associate
More just a general comment on TN LCD viewing angles! You will notice a colour shift at pretty much every angle, PARTICULARLY in the vertical direction.

Associate
that i agree with.

but looking straight on at the screen the colours shouldn't be varieing at the sides

They will be, no matter how good the TN panel is made. By the very way the twisted nematic liquid crystal cell works, and how the polarised light from the backlight interacts with it, if you are looking at ANYTHING but exactly 90 degrees to the screen, the colour will change.

Which in reality means that every single pixel except from the one you are looking at has some amount of colour shift. Compensation films can reduce this greatly to the point where its not noticable to our eyes at most angles, but when you are talking about a screen as big as 28" you WILL be able to notice it horizontally at the edges unless you sit very far away. It makes less difference vertically because, due to the 16:9 aspect ratio, the LCDs are much longer than they are high.

Soldato
Well I can safely say that moving my head up and down say 10cm makes far more difference to the colour/darkness/brightness of the display than 10cm let or right, to get the same difference I have to move my head at least 30cm off to each side from the centre.

Associate
Hmm, thanks for the picture guys. I think this monitor is not worth my time and stress with the backlight problems.

Might get the 26" Iiyama ProLite E2607WSD instead. Anyone by hand know if this is any good?

Soldato
They will be, no matter how good the TN panel is made. By the very way the twisted nematic liquid crystal cell works, and how the polarised light from the backlight interacts with it, if you are looking at ANYTHING but exactly 90 degrees to the screen, the colour will change.

Which in reality means that every single pixel except from the one you are looking at has some amount of colour shift. Compensation films can reduce this greatly to the point where its not noticable to our eyes at most angles, but when you are talking about a screen as big as 28" you WILL be able to notice it horizontally at the edges unless you sit very far away. It makes less difference vertically because, due to the 16:9 aspect ratio, the LCDs are much longer than they are high.
well this i don't agree

i have a Hannspree 32" lcd tv which is fine and when looking straight on at the screen the colours doesn't varie at the sides, also on black screens theres only a very very little of the backlight showing..

even when i had a 24" and a 26" monitors both didn't have varieing colours at the sides when looking straight on at the screen, and the backlight bleeding was very unnoticeable.

i agree looking at the screen at a silly angels then yes the colour/darkness/brightness changes.. but im talking about looking straight on at the screen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom