• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Directx 12 and async compute

Soldato
AAA refers to the budget according to google.

I recall an interview where someone may have said $50M, or just less than CoD/GTA ($2-300M).

...inconclusive.

Soldato
All the nonsenses rubbish you read on internet about Pascal cant do DirectX 12 and Async Compute properly had to end right here full stop!!!!

http://videocardz.com/62257/first-3dmark-time-spy-benchmarks-hit-the-web

3DMark Time Spy is the first benchmark used Async Compute proved that Pascal can do DirectX 12 properly, it seemed the developer coded Nvidia Async Compute properly gave Time Spy a nice increase when Async Compute enabled.

shame they not putting vulkan same priority as dx12, I asked about vulkan and they said no ETA.

Caporegime
All the nonsenses rubbish you read on internet about Pascal cant do DirectX 12 and Async Compute properly had to end right here full stop!!!!

3DMark Time Spy is the first benchmark used Async Compute proved that Pascal can do DirectX 12 properly, it seemed the developer coded Nvidia Async Compute properly gave Time Spy a nice increase when Async Compute enabled.

Nice one and good to hear this. this will hopefully shut a few people up who keep insisting that NVidia can't do Async :cool:

Soldato
Nice one and good to hear this. this will hopefully shut a few people up who keep insisting that NVidia can't do Async :cool:

Did you look at the Maxwell card results. They gained nothing. It was mainly Maxwell that has been said to not be capable of Async and these results enforce that view. We have seen that Pascal seems to benefit from Dx12 but never knew if that was from Async. It looks like now that Pascal does but still not to the extent AMD cards do.

Caporegime
Did you look at the Maxwell card results. They gained nothing. It was mainly Maxwell that has been said to not be capable of Async and these results enforce that view. We have seen that Pascal seems to benefit from Dx12 but never knew if that was from Async. It looks like now that Pascal does but still not to the extent AMD cards do.

I guess you haven't been reading this forum too much then, as Pascal was claimed to not support Async (hell, even I said that NVidia deal with Async differently to AMD) and I didn't once see you step in and say they could.

Soldato
I guess you haven't been reading this forum too much then, as Pascal was claimed to not support Async (hell, even I said that NVidia deal with Async differently to AMD) and I didn't once see you step in and say they could.

To me it was never really proven that Pascal did benefit up until now. I seen it gained in DX12 but i never knew if that had anything to do with Async. The results plainly show that the majority may be right about Maxwell as the results clearly show no benefits. I am saying maybe as Nvidia still might be able to do something but they have been saying this for a while now and Maxwell still seems to get no gains. They could be gimping though to make Pascal look better but i don't want to get in to that one :D:D:D

Caporegime
To me it was never really proven that Pascal did benefit up until now. I seen it gained in DX12 but i never knew if that had anything to do with Async. The results plainly show that the majority may be right about Maxwell as the results clearly show no benefits. I am saying maybe as Nvidia still might be able to do something but they have been saying this for a while now and Maxwell still seems to get no gains. They could be gimping though to make Pascal look better but i don't want to get in to that one :D:D:D

It took quite awhile to find out for sure but as can clearly be seen, Pascal makes some nice gains. As for Maxwell, I didn't know or care and I even said that when DX12 is important, we will have moved on and oddly enough, I at least have moved on.

Caporegime

http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/07/timespy-3.png

The PCperspective link is useful. Comparing the latest generation cards:
1080 sees a performance increase of 6.8% and the 480 sees 8.5%.

That is about what i expect form comparing the different architectures.

The Anandtech review also shows Maxwell getting some gains of 7.7% (3647/ 3386) :
http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2016/07/Anandtech-Time-Spy-3.png

there is quite a lo of variance between reviews which think is also going to be typical with async compute because it is soemthign that is very hard to optimize well for all configurations of GPU, CPU, drivers, resolutions etc.
We've seen this with AOTS, where even a card like the FuryX under certain conditions saw a performance regression.

Anway, nice to see we finally have a valid DX12 benchmark

Caporegime

Anandtech showed decent gains in Maxwell.

Soldato

Anand only seemed to have tested the 1070/480 to compare i don't know why that other graph is in there as it's showing score and gpu score. If you look at the big chart with all the results you can see it's only the 1070/480 listed with Async on and off. I have not looked at the full Anand article just this videocardz link.

Edit: I just looked at the Anand article and it is just the 1070/480 that they tested with Async on and off.

Last edited:
Soldato
It took quite awhile to find out for sure but as can clearly be seen, Pascal makes some nice gains. As for Maxwell, I didn't know or care and I even said that when DX12 is important, we will have moved on and oddly enough, I at least have moved on.

Yea for people like you who move on to newer cards often none of this will have an effect on you i would imagine. For people like me having a card that's still relevant architecture wise is more important as i don't upgrade half as much and even then it's not at the top end these days when i do.

Man of Honour

Hope nVidia and id do some optimisation for Doom with Vulkan as it seems a bit slapped together haphazardly - trying to disentangle the numbers is hard but judging from an estimation of how it would perform without the CPU problem I'm getting in Vulkan it would seem like my 780 would see around 15% gains over Open GL if it was working properly - at the moment its held back due to something seeming to get very busy every 3rd or 4th frame like some thread is stalling or taking longer to complete than it should.

Caporegime
Anand only seemed to have tested the 1070/480 to compare i don't know why that other graph is in there as it's showing score and gpu score. If you look at the big chart with all the results you can see it's only the 1070/480 listed with Async on and off. I have not looked at the full Anand article just this videocardz link.

Edit: I just looked at the Anand article and it is just the 1070/480 that they tested with Async on and off.

Yeah, VGAChartz titles were confusing.

Caporegime
get

:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom